What spices do you use for fried rice? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Veg-Jill

#1 Old 09-17-2010, 05:07 PM
Beginner

I usually cook some veggies and use no spices but the teriyaki/soy sauce, but today I grabbed a package of some 'fried rice seasoning' since it was only 50 cent and I was curious. It smelled awfully strong so I didn't even use the whole package, but it seems to do some good. I've never really even thought about spices for my fried rice, which is a staple in my diet, so what are some spices I should try out?

Image by LotusHead via sxc. 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 09-17-2010, 05:23 PM
Banned

I usually add Indian black salt to give it that eggy taste, but not spices. If you add spices it turns it into a different dish IMO. If you want to try it out I'd go for:

1/4 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp chilli powder
1/4 tsp turmeric
Pinch of asofetida
1 tsp black salt or adjust to taste

Fry the spices for a few seconds before adding the rice, and then sprinkle the salt over it while it cooks.
#3 Old 09-17-2010, 05:55 PM
Beginner

Earthling, thanks for the black salt reminder! I was trying to think of it today but couldn't remember what it was called (I've been making big batches of chickpeas and experimenting with "chickpea scramble" since I don't do tofu)

On topic, I don't think I make any "spicy" fried rices... I think I need to correct that I do like making a "chinese" type fried rice, I saute onions, garlic, green/red pepper until soft then add the (cooked, obviously) rice and sprinkle with soy sauce. It's pretty yummy with "cherry sauce" but I haven't had that stuff in years (I think it's just full of sugar anyway!)
#4 Old 09-17-2010, 06:34 PM
Beginner

I just use black pepper, soy sauce, sake, sugar, salt and sesame oil and it's great . can add cayenne or chili powder for spice.
#5 Old 09-17-2010, 07:08 PM
Banned

Get as creative as you want, but soy sauce and sesame oil* are all you really need. Throw in some onion and garlic and you have a meal!

*Note: don't use sesame oil if you are allergic to sesame seeds. Can cause permanent death syndrome.
#6 Old 09-18-2010, 03:15 AM
Beginner

Curry powder, garlic- and onionpowder, paprika, salt and pepper or cumin, chili pepper, paprika, coriander, garlic- and onionpowder, salt and pepper.
#7 Old 09-18-2010, 02:14 PM
Beginner

I make rice fried up with a little bit of curry, cumin and sage, and then some eb and nutritional yeast. Fry it until it gets golden and crispy - really good with a lot of things.
#8 Old 09-18-2010, 02:36 PM
Riot Nrrrd

Ginger if going for an Asian vibe.

Dave in MPLS / DISCLAIMER: I am not an actual rooster.
"It is better to light a candle than to curse the darkness"
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 18002738255
#9 Old 09-21-2010, 07:07 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earthling View Post

I usually add Indian black salt to give it that eggy taste, but not spices. If you add spices it turns it into a different dish IMO. If you want to try it out I'd go for:

1/4 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp chilli powder
1/4 tsp turmeric
Pinch of asofetida
1 tsp black salt or adjust to taste

Fry the spices for a few seconds before adding the rice, and then sprinkle the salt over it while it cooks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepydvdr View Post

Get as creative as you want, but soy sauce and sesame oil* are all you really need. Throw in some onion and garlic and you have a meal!

*Note: don't use sesame oil if you are allergic to sesame seeds. Can cause permanent death syndrome.

sounds yummers in the tummers....thankies for the heads up.

peace, peace and more peace....on the International Day Of peace.
#10 Old 08-22-2014, 01:20 PM
Beginner

Hi everyone so I wanna know in a product when they say spices is that a vegan ingredient?
#11 Old 08-22-2014, 03:09 PM
Beginner

I do a lot of Asian fried rice and for flavours, I usually use different combinations of light soy sauce, dark soy sauce, kecap manis (Indonesian sweet soy sauce), sweet chilli sauce, mushroom (oyster) sauce, peanut oil and sesame oil. I have one recipe that uses green curry paste and another with sambal oeleck. I use cashews and peanuts, chilli flakes and, almost always, fried shallots (I use ready made from the store for this).
I actually brought fried rice to a birthday dinner last night. It had shredded Chinese cabbage, carrots, red capsicum, baby corn, cup mushroom, spring onions and cashews. I used sesame oil to fry and sauce was light soy sauce and kecap manis. I finished it with the fried shallots. It was a hit!
LedBoots likes this.
#12 Old 08-22-2014, 05:39 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam alshebany View Post
Hi everyone so I wanna know in a product when they say spices is that a vegan ingredient?
Hey sam!
Yes, if it just says any spice, or herb, it will be vegan. It would be things like "natural flavors" in a blend you may wonder about.
I have noticed something like lactose- I can't quite remember now, it was dairy related, in spice blends. I avoid them anyway except for Goya Adobo. That's like a seasoned salt with garlic, black pepper, tumeric and oregano. I actually had to check it 'cause I worried myself!

I've been using tumeric and black pepper with just about everything since it's so touted as anti inflammatory.

I do love chili seseme oil, or a combo of braggs aminos and nutritional yeast on rice. Or curry powder. Coriander seed, and a touch of cumin for rice and beans
#13 Old 08-22-2014, 05:40 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veg-Jill View Post
I do a lot of Asian fried rice and for flavours, I usually use different combinations of light soy sauce, dark soy sauce, kecap manis (Indonesian sweet soy sauce), sweet chilli sauce, mushroom (oyster) sauce, peanut oil and sesame oil. I have one recipe that uses green curry paste and another with sambal oeleck. I use cashews and peanuts, chilli flakes and, almost always, fried shallots (I use ready made from the store for this).
I actually brought fried rice to a birthday dinner last night. It had shredded Chinese cabbage, carrots, red capsicum, baby corn, cup mushroom, spring onions and cashews. I used sesame oil to fry and sauce was light soy sauce and kecap manis. I finished it with the fried shallots. It was a hit!
Mmmmm, that all sounds so good!
I love shredded cabbage and salty nuts in a spicy rice dish

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page