Simple Vegetarian Recipes (needed) - VeggieBoards

Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 01-30-2004, 09:43 AM

Currently I can't get the people I live with to carry me to the health food store, and I just quit my job (long story) so I don't have the money to shop there being that it is a little expensive. Do any of you know good recipes that are pretty simple and that I could make with common grocery store items? vegetarian and vegan are needed. If you have a really good one and have a little time, I'd love if you could PM it to me or email it to me at kyrabang@yahoo.com because then I could save it to my email (if you sent it there)

Oh well just please help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-30-2004, 09:59 AM

Here are a few simple ideas. I hope this is the kind of thing you're looking for. VEGWEB has a lot of recipes to offer - you could check that site out.

* Bean Burritos are good, and you can make them with simple ingredients grocery stores have. I add shredded lettuce, tomato, onions, olives too.

* Pasta Toss is pretty easy. Cook the pasta first. Then toss with your choice of veggies and olive oil & garlic in a skillet (I also put garbanzo beans in - and you can get them canned in the grocery store)

* Fried Rice is also easy. You cook the rice (brown is best) and chill it first (makes it easier to work with). Chop your choice of veggies small (onions, carrot, zucchini, green beans, etc.). Saute veggies (and maybe garlic and/or ginger) in oil - when almost cooked add some tamari and then rice and cook it through (keep it moving so it doesn't burn).
#3 Old 01-30-2004, 10:05 AM

thanks ALOT

I need simple things because I don't have that much time to cook sometimes

#4 Old 01-30-2004, 10:33 AM

Lentils!! You can make yummy soup by frying some onion, celery, carrot, pasnip, garlic in some oil, then add brown lentils, stock and herbs, simmer for an hour or 2 and you're there.

In fact any soup is easy - just a collection of veges in a pot, simmer till done.

Or use red lentils to make a dhal. Fry some onion and garlic for a couple of minutes, then add curry powder, cumin, turmeric, chili, fry for another minute, then add red lentils, water and tomato puree, simmer for half an hour. Absolutely gorgeous! One of my favourite meals. Serve with rice or cous cous.
#5 Old 01-30-2004, 10:44 AM

oh thank you! i never even though of lentils...and might i add mm mm cous cous
#6 Old 01-30-2004, 11:31 AM

A simple, tasty dish made with basic ingredients is the classic rice-n-beans. I'll cook a decent-sized batch of brown rice and set it aside. Then, I'll sautee some onion, carrot, and maybe zucchini and fresh tomato in some olive oil and then add in a couple of cans of drained beans. A combo of red and black works great, but use whatever. Then add in a jar of good-tasting pasta sauce and the rice and mix together while heating through. Adding in some cumin, fresh garlic, and little lime juice during the sautee process is a nice touch, but you can keep this recipe as absolutely basic (i.e. you can omit the sautee and spice parts) as you want. It makes for a quick, tasty, and filling meal.
#7 Old 01-30-2004, 11:38 AM

thanks
#8 Old 01-30-2004, 11:47 AM

Chili: a few varieties of canned beans, tomato paste & sauce, and season to taste!

The ever popular spaghetti + marinara. With garlic bread (use olive oil if you can't get vegan margerine).

Top Ramen Oriental flavor, with sesame oil and cayenne pepper.

Ramen noodles with peanut butter, cayenne pepper, and green onions.
#9 Old 01-31-2004, 11:58 PM

Fresh homemade crusty vegan garlic bread

Pita bread with fresh salad or roasted veggies.

Cook some rice in veggie stock, fry up a few chopped veggies w/garlic and whatever other spices you like and mix together with rice.

Roast veggies (potato, pumpkin, sweet potato, onion, garlic, eggplant or whatever you like!) with veg*n gravy.

We also love bean burritos as mentioned above.

I have found some cheap premade curry sauces at the supermarket which I add to frying veggies and/or tofu and serve over rice.
#10 Old 02-01-2004, 01:22 AM

Pita pizzas are really good and really easy to make. Just top a pita bread with pizza or pasta sauce, veggies and soy or dairy cheese. Bake in a 350 degree oven for 10-12 minutes. You can usually find pitas in the bread isle of most grocery stores. I usually keep some in the freezer so that I always have some on hand. When I'm making pizzas with them, I don't even bother defrosting them, I just top them and bake them for a few minutes longer.

Hummus can be made from stuff from the grocery store. I don't have a good recipe for it, but I'm sure there are tons floating around here. It usually has garbanzo beans, tahini (seasame paste), lemon juice and garlic in it, and you just blend it all together. Hummus is yummy with pita bread and/or veggie sticks.
#11 Old 02-02-2004, 03:30 PM

I like to take a package of nissan brand Oriental ramen (the ones that usually go for 10/$1), add the flavour packet to the boiling water, toss in some red chili flakes and whatever random veggies that look good. Make the ramen according to package directions, and add veggies after draining most of the water (so it will be a sort of noodle soup instead of a bowl of pasta and veggies). Good stuff and it's cheap to make.

Bean burritos are also wonderful. The low-fat variety of Safeway brand refried beans are just water, beans and salt and they go fabbo in a whole wheat tortilla (or a flour one if WW is hard to find). I toss in a bit of ceyanne pepper and garlic while the beans are warming up and sometimes, I'll put in mushrooms, zucchini or red bell peppers into the same pan so everything heats together. They're extra-nice with some quinoa in place of the rice and guacamole kicks it up a veg*n notch. They don't even need cheese. Just a fork because sometimes, they're a tad messy.

Nachos are super-yum. Refried beans with just a touch of olive oil (to thin them down a tad) spread on top of tortilla chips. Raw spinach leaves, olives, onions, guacamole, tomatoes and some yummer-ific salsa overtop makes a great meal and it's filling, too.

Tacos are another "cheap and good" vegetarian food. Some use TVP in place of the ground beef but I prefer just good ol' refried beans and whatever taco fixins you like. I also like a good fried taco, so I'll make a "stuffing" out of sweet potato, mushrooms, onions, and red peppers (or whatever you have on hand that looks good) stuff them in a tortilla and fry them. If you don't want to fry them, then the pre-made shells are a good way of going and everything goes great in a taco. Guac and salsa overtop makes it all deeeee-vine!

Spaghetti with a nice vegan pasta sauce (Hunt's brand is vegan if you don't get anything that has meat and/or cheese in it) is delish, too. I like to toss some random veggies in my spaghetti sauce while the pasta's cooking so everything can heat together. I've also found that brussel sprouts in the sauce not only look like meatballs; they also mimic the texture of very lean meat. Mostly, though I'll toss in some veggies and have done. Pasta is also good with just stewed tomatoes if you want "quicker than quick" food and for variety, I like to do stewed tomatoes, olives, sliced beets and onions with veggie pasta (the stuff that comes in the different colours).

Bowls, bowls, bowls. Quinoa bowls or rice bowls with assorted veggies make for easy, cheap, "quick to put together" dining. Any veggie goes great with quinoa or rice and for extra kick, spice the water in whatever flavourings you like before adding your grain or you can use veggie stock for your base and season it from there (or not).
#12 Old 02-02-2004, 03:46 PM

I don't know what the equivalent of "Extra Foods" or "Super Store" is in countires other then Canada but they carry a President's Choice brand (I think that's the brand...one of the value priced brands anyways).

It's refriend beans that are probably crushed dried beans, veggies and spices that you mix in a 1:1 ratio with hot water and throw into a tortilla with some veggies.

Other dishes:

If you don't feel into something really suppery, fruit salad topped with yoghurt and anything else like seeds/nuts etc.
#13 Old 02-02-2004, 04:31 PM

Caveat:

many brands and flavors of Ramen noodles have animal stock in the seasoning packet. check the labels

many varieties of refried beans are made with lard. check the lables.

(but I'm sure you knew all that already... )

Nec Aspera Terrent
#14 Old 02-02-2004, 08:13 PM

Nobody mentioned stirfries yet! Just chop up your favorite vegetables and tofu, throw in a frying pan. Add your favorite spices/soy sauce and cook until the tofu turns brownish and looks cooked
#15 Old 02-03-2004, 07:50 PM

Peanutbutter and jelly sandwhiches

Also hummus sandwhiches are good too, you put hummus, cucumbers,tomato, lettuce, and either veg/real mayo or salsa. If salsa then it's better in a pita.

Cereal!

I agree about the stirfries, I put in mixed frozen veggies, some fresh ones, and then put in a cut up Morningstar patty (do you have access to those?)

Veggiedogs- I assume you have access to these too?
#16 Old 02-04-2004, 10:32 AM

I like to make curried chickpeas, served over instant rice or couscous (both found in regular grocer) - 1 or two cans chickpeas, one box frozen spinach, one little can tomato sauce, and whatever other vegetables you're in the mood for (maybe some garlic and onion) with curry powder, salt, and pepper to your tastes. Heat up in a pan for a bit - voila!
#17 Old 02-04-2004, 10:40 AM

Also, Busch's vegetarian baked beans are vegan, and can be incorporated into any veggie meal. Have some over a baked potato w/ a side of greens for the quickest healthy meal I can think of.
#18 Old 02-04-2004, 11:24 AM
Veggie Regular

It may sound ghetto, but Bush's baked beans with spaghetti tastes really, really good!

For dinner tonight I'm making zucchini stewed with onions and tomatoes. Just sautee onion in some olive oil, and when they are soft add sliced zucchini and a small can of tomatoes. Let it all cook together and serve with pasta.

There was a period of about four months when i couldnt get to a health food store of any kind. Beans, rice, soymilk, an pasta became my best friends.

maybe you can try to have theme nights so it doesn't get too boring. After a few days of rice and beans you get a little tired (I know I did ). Maybe one day do italian, one day mexican, one day carribbean, one day all american- just a way to break up the monotony you may start to feel after a while.
#19 Old 02-04-2006, 05:59 AM

Wow, I think this was meant to be. I started a new website just this week called simple-vegetarian-recipes dot com ... I am new and they won't let me post URLs yet. About 95% of the recipes on the site are vegan as well.

For a really, really, really healthy and delicious recipe that won't require expensive, crazy ingredients, check the Crock Pot part of the site for Lemon Garbanzo Bulgur Pilaf. You don't need a crockpot to make it either. I make it at my parents house (they don't have a crockpot OR a pressure cooker) by using canned beans, microwaving the bulgur, and just throwing it all in one big saucepan on the stove. I made it for myself last Sunday and I've been eating it for 1-2 meals per day every day this week (it makes a lot). The nice thing is I never get sick of the flavor so I enjoy eating it every day for a week
#20 Old 02-04-2006, 06:23 AM

One of my staples is any kind of vegetable sauteed in olive oil with lots and lots of garlic and herbs such as basil or oregano, over pasta. You could also have it over cooked beans (such as a white bean), though I haven't tried that yet.
#21 Old 02-04-2006, 07:03 AM

This thread is two years old.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page