Nutritional value of store-bought hummus - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 08-21-2010, 04:21 AM
Beginner

I compared the nutritional value of store-bought hummus to Fantastic World Foods mix.

Very disappointing. I guess being able to buy ready-made hummus falls into the "too good to be true category"?

[link]

Beanitarian.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-21-2010, 09:02 AM
Beginner

I would say most stuff that is premade isn't the best nutritional option, but may do in a pinch. Cooking your own chick peas from dry and making your own, would be the best bet, then you know exactly what goes into it,and could control the amt of oil and sodium.

My brand new website for health coaching, and where all of my recipes will reside! www.TheHolisticDragonfly.com
My previous food photography and portrait blog: www.creativeinspirationsphotography.blogspot.com
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1435413727
#3 Old 08-21-2010, 09:09 AM
Beginner

I can't make my hummus taste nearly as delicious as the store-bought though.

You're gonna make me puke my pants.
#4 Old 08-21-2010, 09:24 AM
Beginner

Store bought hummus' nutritional information varies HUGELY by brand. I remember comparing Sabra and Tribe... big difference. So, shop around and see what suits your needs.
#5 Old 08-21-2010, 11:20 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by creep View Post

This. I couldn't care less if it's not as nutritionally good tbh, I love the taste of shop-bought hummous =]
#6 Old 08-21-2010, 03:48 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by FitChick99 View Post

Store bought hummus' nutritional information varies HUGELY by brand. I remember comparing Sabra and Tribe... big difference. So, shop around and see what suits your needs.

So true!

Quote:
Originally Posted by .ghost. View Post

This. I couldn't care less if it's not as nutritionally good tbh, I love the taste of shop-bought hummous =]

Same here but my favorite is from Lebanese restaurants.
#7 Old 08-21-2010, 05:33 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by creep View Post

exactly.....Sabras Roasted Red Pepper Hummus is a Million Times Better Than Mine.

peace
#8 Old 08-21-2010, 05:52 PM
Beginner

I'm super picky when it comes to hummus. I can eat my own, and I do LIKE it... But I certainly don't LOVE it.

I love Tribe hummus. (I think a couple kinds of Sabra are okay, too. But I tried the spinach and artichoke one and quite literally gagged. Absolutely hideous, and I ADORE artichokes and spinach. I dunno what went wrong on that one, but it's atrocious.)

It shocks me that no matter how much I try, I CANNOT get the taste I love in my own hummus. I've tried everything!

Anyway... I don't eat that much hummus, so I'm not overly concerned with it. If I ever started eating it on a daily basis, I would definitely be eating my own because I can make it much healthier. But as of now? I eat it pretty sparingly. So I buy the large store-bought containers and freeze it in little baggies so I can have little single-serve packets that thaw really fast. Rinse the bags and reuse them, and I feel good about it because I don't waste the bags and I don't waste the hummus by letting it get old and need to be thrown away!

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page