VeggieBoards banner

Seedless grapes healthy or not?

21K views 15 replies 14 participants last post by  SDHartley 
#1 ·
Are seedless grapes less healthier then the ones with seeds, are they full of hormones?

#5 ·
I dont think they themselves are full of hormones? But they might have been genetically modified not to have seeds if thats the concern? The argument of whether genetically modified foods are safe is a complicated one, most all processed foods contain genetically modified components... I think I heard that genetically modified foods have not been around long enough for us to know the true effects they are going to have on our health, but in general I think the consensus is to avoid them when possible.

I remember a story about how in the 1970s? They had this specific genetically modified corn created for feeding animals on the food lots or whatever, and it got mixed up with the corn meant for human consumption, people got really sick.... I'll try to look up a link.***

I dont know about grapes specifically ... they could have been just selectively bred too?

*** I found something about in 2000 an "allergy scare" that ended up with no cases search for "starlink" in this document http://science.nationalgeographic.co...w-altered.html

#8 ·
Rabid_child.. you just crunch the seeds down too.. don't spit, chances of growing a grape vine in your stomach is pretty slim

If my memory is correct, my grandparents had seedless grapes growing when I was a small child back in the 70's. Not sure if they had GM crops back then, the vine was quite old.

I guess thinking now, I am pretty ignorant about GM fruit and veg

#9 ·
If you are wondering if seedless grapes are one of the Gentically Modified Frankenfoods, they may or not be. Seedless grapes started out as hybrids, so they can be made without being genetically modified. The big factor is whether or not they are organic. If they are organic, there is not a chance that they will be GMO. If they are conventional, they may be GMO. In the U.S., GMO foods are not labeled, so you don't really know. Regardless, non-organic imported grapes almost always make the "Dirty Dozen" list of highest pesticide residues, so I always buy organic grapes anyway. So given you buy organic grapes, don't worry about the seedless variety being some sort of weird science experiment. Grapes are incredibly good for you, particularly the dark, deeply colored purple ones.

#12 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Misty View Post

Rabid_child.. you just crunch the seeds down too.. don't spit, chances of growing a grape vine in your stomach is pretty slim

If my memory is correct, my grandparents had seedless grapes growing when I was a small child back in the 70's. Not sure if they had GM crops back then, the vine was quite old.

I guess thinking now, I am pretty ignorant about GM fruit and veg
I will do no such thing. I can't stand that sensation.

#14 ·
Research Baby

Seeded Grapes are definitely healthier. Seedless grapes are to a sense scientifically made. Scientists take cuttings, treat the cuttings with hormones and then plant it. This way it is not grown from seeds. Because of this, grapevines are then clones of the vine they were cut from. The seeds don't form a harder shell due to genetic errors.

http://science.howstuffworks.com/life/botany/question349.htm

Research baby!

Get you facts straight.

#15 ·
Seeded Grapes are definitely healthier. Seedless grapes are to a sense scientifically made. Scientists take cuttings, treat the cuttings with hormones and then plant it. This way it is not grown from seeds. Because of this, grapevines are then clones of the vine they were cut from. The seeds don't form a harder shell due to genetic errors.

http://science.howstuffworks.com/life/botany/question349.htm

Research baby!

Get you facts straight.
You do realise that this discussion was 4.5 years ago and that members' knowledge may have changed in that time?

#16 ·
Seeded/seedless

I grew up in the seventies and to my knowledge unseeded grapes did not exist. If they did exist, we were not aware of them and certainly never had them. I am not sure when seedless grapes came on the scene to stay and become the grape of choice. I would say they became very popular in the early nineties . I actively search out seeded grapes and only purchase unseeded when I am craving grapes and seeded aren't available. There is nutritional value in the skin of the darker colored seedless grapes (I don't bother with green grapes) , the rest of the seedless grape is mostly sugar. If you buy seeded, you get the nutritional value of the skin and the substantial nutritional value contained in the grape seeds themselves. Grape seeds are packed with antioxidants, amino acids, EFA's and flavonoids. They are a great aid for cardiovascular problems, your skin, varicose veins, perhaps even depression and some cancers. Just make sure you chew them to reap the benefits, and make sure your grapes are organic. If you spit out the grape seed, you are spitting out the best part of the grape, and if you buy seedless, you are paying a lot of money for an inferior product with inferior nutritional benefit.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.