Seedless grapes healthy or not? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 08-18-2010, 10:17 AM
Beginner

Are seedless grapes less healthier then the ones with seeds, are they full of hormones?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-18-2010, 10:21 AM
Beginner

I would think all grapes are healthy. I don't really see a difference.

8/3/2010 is the last time I consumed meat.
8/4/2010 is when I became a full blown Vegetarian and I couldn't be more proud.
#3 Old 08-18-2010, 10:22 AM
Covered in Waves

I think they're still just grapes...

“Failing to fetch me at first, keep encouraged. Missing me one place, search another. I stop somewhere waiting for you.”
Walt Whitman, Song of Myself
#4 Old 08-18-2010, 10:27 AM
Beginner

I'm sure they're just fine. :P
#5 Old 08-18-2010, 10:29 AM
Beginner

I dont think they themselves are full of hormones? But they might have been genetically modified not to have seeds if thats the concern? The argument of whether genetically modified foods are safe is a complicated one, most all processed foods contain genetically modified components... I think I heard that genetically modified foods have not been around long enough for us to know the true effects they are going to have on our health, but in general I think the consensus is to avoid them when possible.

I remember a story about how in the 1970s? They had this specific genetically modified corn created for feeding animals on the food lots or whatever, and it got mixed up with the corn meant for human consumption, people got really sick.... I'll try to look up a link.***

I dont know about grapes specifically ... they could have been just selectively bred too?

*** I found something about in 2000 an "allergy scare" that ended up with no cases search for "starlink" in this document http://science.nationalgeographic.co...w-altered.html
#6 Old 08-18-2010, 11:59 AM
Beginner

I just heard that grapes with seeds are more nutritious than seedless...
#7 Old 08-18-2010, 02:44 PM
Beginner

I don't see why it would make a difference. For me personally, seedless are definitely more nutritious because I can't be bothered eating the seeded variety. I hate spitting out little seeds.

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
#8 Old 08-19-2010, 02:11 AM
Beginner

Rabid_child.. you just crunch the seeds down too.. don't spit, chances of growing a grape vine in your stomach is pretty slim

If my memory is correct, my grandparents had seedless grapes growing when I was a small child back in the 70's. Not sure if they had GM crops back then, the vine was quite old.

I guess thinking now, I am pretty ignorant about GM fruit and veg
#9 Old 08-19-2010, 07:10 AM
Beginner

If you are wondering if seedless grapes are one of the Gentically Modified Frankenfoods, they may or not be. Seedless grapes started out as hybrids, so they can be made without being genetically modified. The big factor is whether or not they are organic. If they are organic, there is not a chance that they will be GMO. If they are conventional, they may be GMO. In the U.S., GMO foods are not labeled, so you don't really know. Regardless, non-organic imported grapes almost always make the "Dirty Dozen" list of highest pesticide residues, so I always buy organic grapes anyway. So given you buy organic grapes, don't worry about the seedless variety being some sort of weird science experiment. Grapes are incredibly good for you, particularly the dark, deeply colored purple ones.
#10 Old 08-19-2010, 03:55 PM
Beginner

I'm a fan of seedless grapes! We grew up with mostly seeded ones (didn't grow up in the U.S.!), so it's nice to eat the seedless ones now. Yummy! Plus, they're great if you freeze them and then eat them frozen.
#11 Old 08-19-2010, 04:58 PM
Beginner

I can hardly ever find organic grapes, and when I do, they always seem to be seedless. I think the seedful ones are probably a bit more nutritious (and tastier) since they aren't GM.
Like watermelon, the ones with the black seeds just taste so much better than the "seedless"
#12 Old 08-19-2010, 05:01 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misty View Post

Rabid_child.. you just crunch the seeds down too.. don't spit, chances of growing a grape vine in your stomach is pretty slim

If my memory is correct, my grandparents had seedless grapes growing when I was a small child back in the 70's. Not sure if they had GM crops back then, the vine was quite old.

I guess thinking now, I am pretty ignorant about GM fruit and veg

I will do no such thing. I can't stand that sensation.

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
#13 Old 08-19-2010, 05:18 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabid_child View Post

I will do no such thing. I can't stand that sensation.

I don't do it, either. I don't like the burst of burst of crunchy bitterness in my nice, sweet-tart grape.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page