vegetarian yogurt - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 08-07-2010, 12:32 PM
Beginner

I absolutely love yogurt, and I haven't been able to find any with vegetable gelatin in it. I've found kinds wth kosher gelatin, but I read that it could have fish in it. Any help? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-07-2010, 12:57 PM
Beginner

I had to google kosher gelatin. Brace yourself--
http://www.ivu.org/faq/gelatine.html

I don't eat dairy yogurt, but have noticed it's mostly the light yogurts (at least in U.S.) that have gelatin added. I don't think the fruit on the bottom types have it. Keep looking.

Agar, locust gum, carob gum--all vegetable sources that jel. You can find prepackaged fruit jels that have it.
Gelatin is always bad.

Wildwood Soy yogurt is my favorite, Silk soy yogurt is good too.
#3 Old 08-07-2010, 01:00 PM
Beginner

I don't know if you have Activia in America but they were my favourite before I stopped eating dairy, only the vanilla ones are vegetarian here though.
#4 Old 08-07-2010, 01:21 PM
Beginner

Stoneyfield doesn't have geletin. I'm pretty sure Dannon naturals are also ok.
#5 Old 08-07-2010, 01:22 PM
Banned

Lactobacillus would be the in the ingredients list ....maybe just search on-line , you can also get it in powder form from some health stores and make your own yogurt .
#6 Old 08-07-2010, 01:40 PM
Beginner

Alpro Soya? I think they're vegan....Or Provamel. Do they have those where you are?

ÂMay all beings everywhere plagued with sufferings of body and mind quickly be freed from their pain. May those frightened cease to be afraid, and may those bound be free. May the powerless find power, and may people befriend all life. May those of all species who find themselves lost, the young,...
#7 Old 08-07-2010, 02:31 PM
Riot Nrrrd

Silk soygurt gets another vote here. Although I haven't had it in a while White Wave was my favorite brand when I shopped where it was sold.

Soy yogurt tastes/feels lighter than dairy to me.

Dave in MPLS / DISCLAIMER: I am not an actual rooster.
"It is better to light a candle than to curse the darkness"
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 18002738255
#8 Old 08-07-2010, 03:13 PM
Beginner

Thank you. We have activia, and some of the other brands mentioned here. Thank you so much!
#9 Old 08-07-2010, 04:31 PM
Super Moderator

All of the Activia's I've seen have gelatin, so doubt check. Some generic brands are gelatin free. Look for the more "natural" ones, you'll have better luck. If you have a Trader Joe's nearby, they definitely have some (it's Organic, can't remember the brand name).
#10 Old 08-07-2010, 05:40 PM
Beginner

Stonyfield Farms yogurts are pretty widespread I think, and even their low-fat and fat-free varieties are gelatin free.

You might have good luck going to a natural foods stores like Whole Foods or your local coop
#11 Old 08-07-2010, 08:37 PM
Beginner

Agreed with the above on kosher gelatin - at one point I wrote to a major yogurt brand that listed kosher gelatin, and it was from an animal source. At least in the US, any use of the word gelatin implies an animal source. When you're scanning ingredients, usually yogurts that use carrageenan and/or pectin for thickening will not also use gelatin (but still finish reading the list, of course).

Brands include Stonyfield farms, Yo crunch (funny - they have either granola or candy included in a little container on top), and some Dannon (usually plain and vanilla only, Fruit on the Bottom used to be ok but isn't anymore). You might check out the "organic" yogurts, and the new greek yogurts. I'm not sure if any of those are free of gelatin, but it's worth a look since greek yogurt is naturally thickened by straining out the whey. Soy yogurts are also gelatin free, but are an entirely different beast.

I finally got so fed up with the lack of good gelatin-free yogurt that I learned to make my own. It is also generally quite a bit cheaper than store-bought. I use plain Dannon or as starter, and the following websites have good instructions:
Ceres and Bacchus- yogurt in a cooler-incubator
Slow cooker yogurt
Everything has to be meticulously clean. It's best if you scald all your containers and utensils with boiling water, too. Other than that, it's quite easy to make! I've made yogurt from skim milk as well as soy, almond, and coconut milks.
#12 Old 08-08-2010, 11:21 PM
Beginner

A lot of Greek yogurt is gelatin-free (not Yoplait's version, but Yoplait's version isn't very good). Honestly, good yogurts tend to be gelatin free. And you might want to try reading the ingredients list on store-brand yogurt. The Meijer-brand yogurt, for instance, is gelatin-free. I usually get a tub of the plain yogurt (I LOVE Fage Greek yogurt, but I'm too poor to afford it regularly), but I think even the Meijer-brand individual "light" yogurt cups are gelatin-free, which is unusual. But if I recall correctly, they thicken it with starch instead of gelatin.
#13 Old 08-09-2010, 11:05 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by danakscully64 View Post

All of the Activia's I've seen have gelatin, so doubt check. Some generic brands are gelatin free. Look for the more "natural" ones, you'll have better luck. If you have a Trader Joe's nearby, they definitely have some (it's Organic, can't remember the brand name).

It must vary a lot by country and area as almost all activia yoghurts here are veggie, bar a few which have cochineal in them.
Where I live it's easier to find veggie yoghurt than non-veg ones. Like someone else said, fat free ones are more likely to have gelatine in so maybe avoid those. Keep checking labels and I'm pretty sure you'll find some veggie ones soon!
Other than that, maybe try soy yoghurts?
#14 Old 08-09-2010, 11:12 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by .ghost. View Post

It must vary a lot by country and area as almost all activia yoghurts here are veggie, bar a few which have cochineal in them.
Where I live it's easier to find veggie yoghurt than non-veg ones. Like someone else said, fat free ones are more likely to have gelatine in so maybe avoid those. Keep checking labels and I'm pretty sure you'll find some veggie ones soon!
Other than that, maybe try soy yoghurts?

Where do you live? Even if you hadn't said anything about living in a different country, I would have known because of the way you spell yogurt and gelatin This is the US site for Activia: http://www.activia.us.com/products_main.asp
I'm not sure where the OP lives, I only assumed it was the US because they said they could only find brands with Kosher Gelatin. It sucks, but that's majorly common here, not as much elsewhere.

The peach drink appears to be fine. Honestly, I haven't eaten yogurt in many years, but I've bought it a few times for recipes.
#15 Old 08-10-2010, 04:34 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by danakscully64 View Post

Where do you live? Even if you hadn't said anything about living in a different country, I would have known because of the way you spell yogurt and gelatin This is the US site for Activia: http://www.activia.us.com/products_main.asp
I'm not sure where the OP lives, I only assumed it was the US because they said they could only find brands with Kosher Gelatin. It sucks, but that's majorly common here, not as much elsewhere.

The peach drink appears to be fine. Honestly, I haven't eaten yogurt in many years, but I've bought it a few times for recipes.

I eat soy yoghurts now anyway usually, but I buy dairy ones on ocassion just if the feeling strikes me =P

I think OP probably is in the US as we don't really have many things with kosher gelatine in, in fact, I don't think I've *ever* seen it in yoghurts. Nearly all the activia yoghuts over here (I'm in the UK) are marked as vegetarian last time I looked. I hate how they sometimes put gelatine in things like yoghurts when they're obviously a perfectly good alternative (whatever it is they use for thickening the veggie ones tastes just fine to me!)

I hate the word "yogurt", it looks so wrong not having the 'h' in! xP
#16 Old 08-10-2010, 04:37 PM
Super Moderator

Companies use what's cheapest and since there are so much by-product from the slaughterhouse, they think it's fun to find new and interesting ways to sneak it into food. Have to get rid of it somehow.

Yog hurts

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page