need help with breakfast - VeggieBoards

Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 01-27-2004, 12:04 PM

I am looking for a nutritious breakfast that will give me lots of energy. I have thyroid problems and have a hard time getting motivated in the mornings. Lately, this has become a real problem for me. It seems like I get sleepy as soon as I eat something - even when I drink a cup of coffee. If I were to listen to my thyroid buds, I would be eating tons of animal protein and I don't want to do that. I need something that isn't loaded with lots of sugar, but it needs to taste good, as I want to make the same breakfast for my daughter who is 7. If anyone has some suggestions, please post away.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-27-2004, 12:25 PM

Hmmm...while I do not have the thyroid problems, I am hypoglycemic and become the same way--so tired after I eat. I've found that if you want to avoid a lot of sugar and don't do the animal protein, that pretty much throws out the entire all-American breakfast. Pretty much, I just eat foods for breakfast that I might eat for lunch or supper. I know a lot of people have hang-ups with eating anything but "breakfast foods" for breakfast, but I run a lot better on regular food first thing in the morning. If I eat a completely carb. breakfast, I crash (most of my diet is carbs, but I do mix in the protein to keep me going). If I do attempt breakfast-y foods, a whole wheat bagel and a couple of soysage patties or links keeps me balanced. Don't know if this helps, but just some general thoughts.
#3 Old 01-27-2004, 12:57 PM

a combo of oat bran and oatmeal with peanut butter or almond butter mixed in. throw some flax seeds in for extra nutrutive goodness. to sweeten ours i always have very ripe bananas that i puree (one per serving) and stir in as well. my family LOVES IT!!!! or put canned pumpkin, finely chopped apple or crushed pineapple, raisins and allspice. you can mix it up many ways and it is sooooo good!!

#4 Old 01-27-2004, 01:10 PM

I tend to favor whole grains and fresh fruit for an energetic breakfast. High-fiber cereal (with soy milk), whole wheat toast, whole grain bagels, etc.
#5 Old 01-27-2004, 03:15 PM

tofu scramble and gimme lean sausage patties

chop some onions and peppers the night before

saute them and garlic in very very little oil until translucent, then add crumbled pressed tofu, saute til brownish, and add the seasoning packet

use the same pan for the sausage, form your patties and throw them in with the remaining grease from the tofu
#6 Old 01-27-2004, 03:58 PM

I have the most energy when I only eat fruit (or nothing) for breakfast. I usually eat a banana, apple and an orange. Not all at once, just as I get hungry.

We make whole-wheat waffles and keep them in the freezer for the kids. We use whole-wheat pastry flour and they are really light and tasty.

They also like scrambled tofu, pancakes or grits and sausage.

When we are in a hurry, they eat a PB&J in the car...

or just peanut butter on toast and a glass of soymilk or OJ.

or a soy dog in a whole wheat bun
#7 Old 01-27-2004, 06:03 PM

Do you eat soy? I've heard from some people that soy exacerbates their thyroid problems.

Tofu scramble--with lots of nutritional yeast for added protein, fiber, and yumminess, garlic powder, and a dash of turmeric for color

and two pieces of toast with EB, and then a piece of fruit, is my ultimate energy breakfast.

My other favorite breakfast is low-sugar cereal--I like Mesa Sunrise by Nature's Path--and unsweetened soy milk, with a couple heaping tablespoons of almond butter and lots of raspberries, and then a few slices of tempeh bacon to go along with it.
#8 Old 01-27-2004, 07:34 PM

I like to eat tofu omelets with sausage or tofu cut into thin slices with NY, salt and pepper with Gimmie Lean Sausage and Tofutti American Cheese. I also like Tofu Kofu Ham with this and I usually make a Veg McMuffin.

Other things I like to eat in the morning are Bran Flakes with dried cranberrries or cherries and almonds, or Cream of Wheat with brown sugar or maple syrup.

I also like to eat other cereals like Special K with Red Berries or Berry Burst Cheerios.

You could also eat muffins, I love to eat muffins or pancakes for breakfast.

Shannon
#9 Old 01-27-2004, 07:54 PM
Banned

I make my oatmeal the night before, so that way I just have to eat it up for a couple minutes in the morning. Then I have a combination of fruit, or one type of fruit, depending on what I feel like and/or what I have. Breakfast of champions!!
#10 Old 01-27-2004, 08:30 PM

Are you looking for protein-rich breakfasts? I usually favor something like low-sugar granola with sliced strawberries in soymilk.

But for you, I have a few ideas...

Yves makes veggie breakfast bacon slices that are really yummy to make BLTs out of, with toasted bread and a little veganaise. Something like this, maybe with a side of hash browns? (I'm sure your daughter would dig on the hash browns!)
#11 Old 01-27-2004, 09:03 PM

Oh, here are some more ideas....

Tofu Smoothies with PB or almond butter and banana

Tofu/Soy Yogurt layered with fruit and Grape Nuts or your favorite cereal
#12 Old 01-27-2004, 09:43 PM

Mm! I love making yogurt parfaits for breakfast - haven't done it in a while. Maybe tomorrow, I do have yogurt! Anyway. They work really well with grape nuts.
#13 Old 01-27-2004, 10:43 PM

I'll recommend the bircher museli again:

soaked raw oats, nuts, seeds, LSA, yoghurt, honey and fruit.
#14 Old 01-28-2004, 12:18 AM

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I like all the ideas listed.

I have read that soy is not good for people with thyroid problems. To be honest, I don't know if this is true or not. I can eat soy at times with no problems, but when consumed in the morning, I get sleepy. But...I have eaten a bowl of oatmeal and gotten sleepy. I wonder if I should try the smoothie idea? or maybe I should be eating lighter? I'm just at a loss. Used to, I would get sleepy after lunch regardless of what it was that I ate. Now, it's the mornings that get to me. Today, I ate a bowl of low sugar cereal with rice milk and about an hour later, I was asleep.

Iceflower, what is LSA? and when you say soaked raw oats, I take it that's different from oatmeal in the box??

Also, I have seen oatmeal type mixtures in the bulk bins at Whole Foods. Are these cereals supposed to be cooked or eaten raw? Some of them look like they have lots of protein in them, but without the sugar. I just wasn't sure how to fix them. I wonder if something like that would be good in yogurt. I also wonder if I should skip eating soy products in the morning so as not to toy with my meds. Perhaps I'm eating too soon after taking my thyroid meds.

Again, thanks for all the suggestions. I need all the help that I can get.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page