Help! I'm craving fish! - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 07-16-2010, 08:14 PM

Whoah.. well, ever since turning to this lifestyle many months back; I haven't once craved any sort of meat. And yet, suddenly for the past two days, I've been craving fish so ridiculously bad!

Nothing I eat or do changes that.. though just the thought of actually eating one makes me nauseous!

Does anyone have a recipe that just tastes like fish? I have to get through this!

..any baked/cake-like versions..

Click here to visit my webpage! http://astrotidbits.blogspot.com/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-16-2010, 08:32 PM

Never fear. I have a couple of recipes that work well for my fish cravings. Let me know it you are interested.
#3 Old 07-17-2010, 04:44 AM

You could try the better-than-tuna salad recipe in the recipe forum. Makes good sandwiches and baked potato topping.
#4 Old 07-17-2010, 05:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sallyomally' date='16 July 2010 - 10:32 PM' timestamp='1279333961' post='2674755 View Post

Never fear. I have a couple of recipes that work well for my fish cravings. Let me know it you are interested.

Hi Sally!

Yes, I've very interested in the recipes you have! Especially any baked ones or breaded, etc..

I'm still badly craving it.. =(

Click here to visit my webpage! http://astrotidbits.blogspot.com/
#5 Old 07-17-2010, 05:34 AM

http://www.foodgeeks.com/recipes/18033 good with tartar sauce imo.
#6 Old 07-19-2010, 11:13 AM

tofu sprinkled with nori then fried in a batter?

Misstress of Fabulousness and Fashion! - *AHIMSA*
#7 Old 07-20-2010, 06:55 PM

Definitely the mock tuna salad recipe. It's basically just mashed chickpeas with vegenaise and a few other spices (salt, lemon juice, nutritional yeast and horseradish if you have it)

http://bringingyouohm.wordpress.com/

Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavanto

'May everyone everywhere be happy
May the whole world be joyous'
#8 Old 07-20-2010, 07:31 PM
Ankle Biter

Veggie sushi might help too - the seaweed makes it taste like fish.

It is our choices that show what we truly are far more than our abilities. ~A. Dumbledore
#9 Old 07-20-2010, 07:46 PM

I agree with the sushi rolls - are you near the ocean, I just collected my daily limit of Fucus gardneri and they are so delicious. The tips were swollen which is when they are at their best. Another thought is a mushroom called Russula xerampelina - it tastes very fishy! Also tofu thatis fermented can be quite fishy and somewhat of an aquired taste.
#10 Old 07-21-2010, 01:45 PM

This might help, too. The last meat I ever ate was salmon, and I used to LOOOVE the flavor despite being grossed out that I was eating an animal.

Well, when I was eating it, there was a really strange little "spot" on the meat that had a different texture than the rest of the fish, despite being cooked. It was kind of like a little brown "puddle" of mush in the meat- very small, but definitely weird. I poked my fork into it and pulled out a long blood worm. :barf
#11 Old 07-21-2010, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppy' date='21 July 2010 - 02:31 PM' timestamp='1279675903' post='2676574 View Post

Veggie sushi might help too - the seaweed makes it taste like fish.

Yeah! Worked for me!
#12 Old 07-21-2010, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by starsun' date='21 July 2010 - 02:45 PM' timestamp='1279741504' post='2676863 View Post

This might help, too. The last meat I ever ate was salmon, and I used to LOOOVE the flavor despite being grossed out that I was eating an animal.

Well, when I was eating it, there was a really strange little "spot" on the meat that had a different texture than the rest of the fish, despite being cooked. It was kind of like a little brown "puddle" of mush in the meat- very small, but definitely weird. I poked my fork into it and pulled out a long blood worm. :barf

Thanks! Seriously. I used to adore salmon. Now, if I ever crave it, I will think of this story. Eeeeeeeewwwww.....

Laura
#13 Old 07-21-2010, 11:24 PM

That "fish" n chips recipe looks pretty good...has anyone tried it out before?

--Kate
Life is around you and in you.
#14 Old 07-22-2010, 05:14 AM

Perhaps, just perhaps your craving something in the fish that your diet is deficient in? and not the actual fish itself, your body tends to know whats in food, maybe you need omega 3's or something? no idea, bull ill bet theres something in the fish your body needs, you just got to find out what it is and eat it. Sorry I have no mock fish recipes, but I dont think they would help anyway.
#15 Old 07-22-2010, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by echinoderminator' date='20 July 2010 - 09:46 PM' timestamp='1279676791' post='2676579 View Post

Another thought is a mushroom called Russula xerampelina - it tastes very fishy! Also tofu thatis fermented can be quite fishy and somewhat of an aquired taste.

Yes, that is a very good idea! It reminds me of shrimp if I am thinking of the same Russula species as you are. Another good mushroom for substiuting sea food would be the Lobster Mushroom which at least in appearance resembles shell fish somewhat and also Sulphur Shelf which when young has the texture of white fish(or chicken) which you could batter and fry with perhaps seaweed for a more oceanic flavor.
#16 Old 07-22-2010, 12:18 PM
Super Moderator

You know what's so weird? At the beginning of my vegetarianism, I had MASSIVE cravings for things like chicken and fish. But here's the thing: every time I cheated and tried it, I seriously said "Wow, this isn't anything like I remember it tasting." I was craving a hyped up flavor that didn't really exist. Could this be your case too?
#17 Old 07-23-2010, 12:12 PM
Banned

I had massive cravings for fish when I stopped eating other meats. For awhile, I just gave in and ate it. A couple weeks after that I started taking a B12 supplement, and almost immediately the fish cravings stopped. I had gone for a couple years of eating meat only once or twice a week, so I may have already been low.
#18 Old 07-29-2010, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paperfantasy' date='22 July 2010 - 12:24 AM' timestamp='1279776256' post='2677143 View Post

That "fish" n chips recipe looks pretty good...has anyone tried it out before?

I love it!
#19 Old 07-29-2010, 03:52 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by delicious' date='17 July 2010 - 07:34 AM' timestamp='1279366498' post='2674881 View Post

http://www.foodgeeks.com/recipes/18033 good with tartar sauce imo.

That looks amazing! The comments however...

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
#20 Old 07-29-2010, 05:09 PM

A visualization that helped me get over the fish thing many moons ago, it seems brutal, but it's the truth and it helps:

Think of seeing a delicious vegan meal in front of you, and then you go to take a bite. Suddenly a hook tears through your cheek and blood runs down your face, and as much as you struggle, you can't break free. You are pulled with all of your bodyweight on the hook towards unfamiliar territory, and are grabbed by a being much larger than you. They hold you tightly, and raise a large club and hit you once, and the more you twitch, the more they crack you over the head until you see nothing but darkness.
#21 Old 07-29-2010, 07:38 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alicia Avocado' date='29 July 2010 - 07:09 PM' timestamp='1280444957' post='2680525 View Post

A visualization that helped me get over the fish thing many moons ago, it seems brutal, but it's the truth and it helps:

Think of seeing a delicious vegan meal in front of you, and then you go to take a bite. Suddenly a hook tears through your cheek and blood runs down your face, and as much as you struggle, you can't break free. You are pulled with all of your bodyweight on the hook towards unfamiliar territory, and are grabbed by a being much larger than you. They hold you tightly, and raise a large club and hit you once, and the more you twitch, the more they crack you over the head until you see nothing but darkness.

That IS brutal but absolutely true. I think going fishing with my dad when I was 10 played a big part in me going veggie a few years later.

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
#22 Old 07-31-2010, 03:08 PM
HNV

What about something like this?

Oyster Mushroom Scampi

The worst sin toward our fellow creatures is not to hate them, but to be indifferent to them. That is the essence of humanity.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page