Cups of Kale? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 07-14-2010, 07:13 PM
Beginner

How many cups do you think are in an average bunch of kale, once it is all chopped? I know that is a weird question, but my roomate and I are making Kale chips, and I'm trying to add them to a recipe calculator to see the nutrition information...but I don't know, even approximately, how many cups of kale I started out with! Please help?

Thanks!

L.C
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-14-2010, 07:39 PM
Super Moderator

That's really hard to say because I've had bunches that had about 2 cups worth and even some up to 5-6. Was it a huge bunch? In terms of nutritional information, I wouldn't worry too much because each cup only has 33 calories I think 3-4 cups is a fair guess.
#3 Old 07-14-2010, 07:41 PM
Covered in Waves

that varries A LOT

“Failing to fetch me at first, keep encouraged. Missing me one place, search another. I stop somewhere waiting for you.”
Walt Whitman, Song of Myself
#4 Old 07-14-2010, 07:59 PM
Beginner

Yeah, you really couldn't say every bunch is going to be the same. Some leaves are bigger, some are smaller. Whenever I have kale, I usually just chop up a cutting board full. It's good stuff, don't worry about measuring!
#5 Old 07-15-2010, 04:42 AM
Banned

Kale is the bomb !
#6 Old 07-15-2010, 05:38 AM
Beginner

If you're concerned about the calorie content of Kale, you might want to re-evaluated your diet.

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
#7 Old 07-18-2010, 08:23 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabid_child' date='15 July 2010 - 07:38 AM' timestamp='1279197518' post='2674029 View Post

If you're concerned about the calorie content of Kale, you might want to re-evaluated your diet.

Kale chips do have a higher calorie count than just plain kale, as most recipes call for oil to be added before baking.

If you're making them without oil, I wouldn't worry about the calories, not sure how they would turn out, though. Maybe just pay attention to the amount of oil you use for the batch of kale chips, and count the calories in the oil? I wouldn't worry about the kale itself, unless you're also tracking specific nutrients.
#8 Old 01-10-2012, 01:56 PM
Beginner

When I enter kale into my nutrition tracking program, I usually estimate the weight, not the volume. I weigh it before I buy it at the store using their scales, then I estimate how much lighter it is after I remove the stems.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page