Wheat Free & Vegan/Vegetarian Meat substitutes, or recipies - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 05-17-2010, 05:13 PM
Beginner

I was just wondering if anyone has any suggestions for a meat substitute product which doesn't contain Gluten or Wheat. My 7 year old niece has serious GI issues (serious enough that she could require surgery soon if we don't get her diet optimised) at the moment, and we are trying to cut anything out which can cause constipation. I have been a vegetarian for about 3-4 months (which was driven by a combination of health issues and a dislike for Agribusiness) and my GI issues have gone away, so I suggested that to my sister. We really want to get her on a Vegetarian diet, but she also has Celiac Disease. Because of this, she can not have any amount of Wheat, or anything else that contains gluten. We usually make her Gluten-free Hamburger/Chicken Helper, and we'd like some sort of meat substitute to mix in with this which is also gluten free. Everything I can find by Morning Star, Boca, and Gardenburger has wheat or gluten in it. Is there any that are gluten-free? Or does anyone have recipes which will make a similar product but doesn't contain gluten, or could be modified so it doesn't contain gluten? I would really appreciate any help on this issue. I know that cutting out meat helped me a lot, and it's hard to see my niece in pain, so I'd love to help her stop hurting as soon as possible. Any other suggests of what to do are also greatly appreciated. Currently she's on fiber, Vitamin C, prunes, apricot juice, and a diet of Mostly fruits and veggies.

Thanks in advance everyone

C.A.Y.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-17-2010, 08:54 PM
Banned

even if you could get these: http://www.solcuisine.com/products/sol_org_burg.html

that we have in canada, i wouldn't recommend them for your neice- tvp causes a fair amount of people gi distress.

um.... can you not just have gluten free mac and cheese without fake meat? or make it with some homemade lentil, bean, rice and/or nut 'meatballs'? that way you're in complete control of whats in the fake meat.
#3 Old 05-17-2010, 10:18 PM
Beginner

Yeah... I am in the process of looking up recipes for "fake meat". It would definitely be best to make them myself, I was just curious if anyone had any great recipes already. It's difficult because they have to be both Egg and Wheat free, preferably with a small amount of protein. I think there definitely won't be any store-bought remedy. Niece #1 can't have wheat, and niece #2 is allergic to eggs, and can't tolerate large amounts of protein. Cooking for these two is difficult.

Thanks.
#4 Old 05-18-2010, 06:25 AM
Beginner

Just wanted to add that there IS a company that makes 'fake' burgers without ANY wheat whatsoever! And with all organic ingredients too.

They're called Sunshine burgers and can be bought at almost any upscale grocery or health food store. The are loaded with protein though (from soft sunflower seeds) so may not be appropriate for niece #2.. I buy these often and LOVE them!

They can be crumbled to add into things like wheat-free hamburger helper too.. (if you like). Packages have 3 burgers each and run about $3 per box..

The site for more info is below;

http://www.sunshineburger.com/index.html

Good luck!

Click here to visit my webpage! http://astrotidbits.blogspot.com/
#5 Old 05-18-2010, 09:58 AM
Beginner

Thanks for asking this! I have a cousin who was recently diagnosed with celiac disease and I was hoping to offer her some recipe ideas. She's a little discouraged right now and thinks that she will have to have a very bland diet from now on, I really want to show her that she still has options.
#6 Old 05-18-2010, 12:45 PM
Banned

i was gonna mention sunshine burgers, they're very very nice, but they're not remotely meaty to me.
#7 Old 05-18-2010, 12:53 PM
Beginner

I don't understand why you want a processed "meat" substitute, either. If anything causes digestion issues, it's the more processed foods. Stick to fresh (raw/ripe) fruits and vegetables primarily, and if you choose, secondarily some legumes and gluten-free grains, nuts, and seeds.
#8 Old 05-18-2010, 12:53 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoodedclawjen View Post

i was gonna mention sunshine burgers, they're very very nice, but they're not remotely meaty to me.

Yeah, those used to be my favorite for a cooked food burger.
#9 Old 05-18-2010, 05:33 PM
Beginner

Do you have products like this available where you live? If so this rissole recipe might be ok for #1. Just use gluten free crumbs and flour. I've made it before and everyone loved it. It does contain egg, so no good for #2 unless you want to try flax or something in place of the egg.

To be honest, I wouldn't mind having to cook different recipes for each child as long as it was something that would keep or freeze.
#10 Old 05-18-2010, 05:47 PM
Beginner

Do you have products like this available where you live? If so this rissole recipe might be ok for #1. Just use gluten free crumbs and flour. I've made it before and everyone loved it. It does contain egg, so no good for #2 unless you want to try flax or something in place of the egg.

To be honest, I wouldn't mind having to cook different recipes for each child as long as it was something that would keep or freeze.
#11 Old 01-22-2013, 07:00 PM
Beginner

I have a fair amount fo good vegan/gluten free recipes on my page.

http://www.facebook.com/KayesKarmaKitchen

#12 Old 01-22-2013, 08:19 PM
Banned

Here is a recipe for Sun Burgers and they are really good. I made them the other day and I got 10 out of the recipe. http://vegweb.com/recipes/sun-burgers

#13 Old 04-15-2013, 08:15 PM
Beginner

Just make sure when you use oats, that they are certified gluten free. Oats contain avenin gluten which only 1 in 10,000 people actually can't tolerate - so most coeliacs won't have a problem with them. However most oats are grown as rotational crops with wheat, barley & rye and harvested using the same equipment, storage and transport, so the normal oats are usually contaminated with the gluten that coeliacs do react to! I think in America you have Bob's Red Mill products? They have gluten free oats.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page