My Black Beans won't stay Black - VeggieBoards - A Vegetarian Community
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 04-29-2010, 01:00 PM
Beginner

I eat black beans several times a week, and they never seem to stay black. Times they turn to a dark brown, but definitely not black. I start with dry beans and usually soak them during the day when i'm at work, so when I come home they are ready, but sometimes I soak them the night before, then drain them and put them into a ziplock in my fridge for the day. I notice when I drain the water the water has a lot of black in it and the beans have a deep purple color, not really black anymore.

When I get home from work, the soaked beans go into the pressure cooker (using the same water if I soaked them during the day, fresh water if they were soaked the previous night and in a ziplock). Over time i've played with the amount of time and water in the pressure cooker, but got it down pretty good now, so that when they are done, there is still about 1 inch of water over them. After the pressure cooker, I take 3-4 cloves of garlic diced up, brown the garlic in olive oil... and just went the garlic is brown and toasty, dump the beans and water into the skillet and throw in some salt. I then let it sit on a med-high heat for 30-45 minutes until much of the water has reduced and it's more of a thick sauce, stirring occasionaly. They taste great, but they just aren't black. I notice that they are not black out of the pressure cooker, but I don't think i'm cooking them too long. They are still firm and not falling apart when I take them out... maybe pressure cookers just do something to them? Usually I use the bulk black beans that cost just under $1 per pound, but i've also tried the more expensive ones that cost over $2 per pound... the only difference i've ever noticed is the more expensive ones are usually cleaner with less rocks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-29-2010, 01:55 PM
Beginner

Mine do the same (I also cook them from dry), but I don't worry about it at all. It's normal, most beans change appearance in their cooked state. They still taste great, and that's what I'm after, rather than having them have a specific colour.

I don't know if that's helpful or not to you. If you want them to stay black for some reason, try undercooking them. I wouldn't, but colour seems to be important to you, so....
#3 Old 04-29-2010, 02:02 PM
Beginner

I make Cuban Black Beans and when they are all done cooking and ready to eat, they look just like a bowl of mud. Who cares, though, they are so delicious it doesn't matter what they look like. They may not look pretty, but they make up for it in taste.

Laura
#4 Old 04-29-2010, 02:42 PM
Beginner

I didn't figure it made a huge difference, but sometimes, I like my meal to look nice, as well as taste good. Especially when i'm adding colors to it... I really want them to look nice, rather then be a big pile of good tasting mud. This is not a big deal to me, i've just always been curious as to why... canned black beans are black, and when I eat at places that serve them, they are black... I thought maybe I was oversoaking or overcooking them.

Hmm, just for kicks, i'm gonna try not soaking them... with a pressure cooker, that won't add much time to the cook cycle... I guess to make a full party, i'll also make some curtido.... i'm sure the non soaked beans and cabbage will make for a musical evening.
#5 Old 04-29-2010, 02:44 PM
Beginner

Besides cumin, what spices do you use for them to be Cuban black beans? Sometimes I add in cumin, oregano, onion, or bell pepper... i've even added chipolte powder, but it made it too spicy for my 4 year old. They all turn out good... as long as I have garlic and salt, those are the two key ingredients I have to add

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven815 View Post

I make Cuban Black Beans and when they are all done cooking and ready to eat, they look just like a bowl of mud. Who cares, though, they are so delicious it doesn't matter what they look like. They may not look pretty, but they make up for it in taste.

Laura

#6 Old 04-29-2010, 08:28 PM
Beginner

That sounds about right for the ingredients. I would have to look it up, but it is an authentic recipe. Before I went veg*n I used to add ham. I think now I'll replace that with some Liquid Smoke. Now that I think of it, when I went to Costa Rica, they served black beans that were black. I think it was because there was no sauce with them. They must rinse the beans after cooking them and then they serve them with rice. They were definitely cleaner looking but, IMO, not nearly as flavorful.

Laura
#7 Old 04-29-2010, 09:57 PM
Beginner

I've heard of black beans causing you to pass gas, but I didn't know that black beans also tried to pass.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page