Help me cook quinoa (without the crunchy bits!) - VeggieBoards - A Vegetarian Community
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 04-26-2010, 09:54 AM
Beginner

I love quinoa. Whenever I eat it in a restaurant, it's lovely and fluffy and tasty. Whenever I make it at home, it generally tastes just fine but had crunchy pieces in it, like pieces of grit or dirt, and it's very unpleasant (to the point where I generally avoid making quinoa at home because I really, really, don't like the crunchy bits).

I've tried countless different kinds of quinoa, white, red, packaged, bulk, you name it. I've tried rinsing (and rinshing and rinsing) and toasting, all to no avail. It always has those nasty little crunchy bits in it. The only thing I can think of that I haven't tried is soaking it beforehand.

So does anyone know what these crunchy bits are, and how I can get rid of them?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-26-2010, 10:11 AM
Banned

they're probably grit. you could go through the quinoa grain by grain to check it before you cook it.
#3 Old 04-26-2010, 10:12 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoodedclawjen View Post

they're probably grit. you could go through the quinoa grain by grain to check it before you cook it.

That sounds more tedious than pulling all the skins off of a can of chickpeas
#4 Old 04-26-2010, 06:22 PM
Beginner

I soak mine for 30 mins before I cook it (rinse and then cook in new water) ad I have never had that problem. I do find that red quinoa has more texture then white though.
#5 Old 04-26-2010, 07:21 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fyvel View Post

That sounds more tedious than pulling all the skins off of a can of chickpeas

yes, well. i never claimed it was a perfect strategy.

if you can get the grains floating up on waters surface, or flowing along it if its moving water, and the grit is heavier and goes sedimenty... that might work somehow. i'm not good with science though.
#6 Old 04-26-2010, 07:30 PM
Beginner

I've never had that problem. I usually have Bobs Red mill, eden organics, or from the bulk bin. I've only recently started rinsing, since the package said it was mechanically whatever it is that you rinse off. I have undercooked it, which was way chewy, and not good. Once the water boils, I let it cook about 25 min. I haven't let it soak, but that sounds like a good idea.
#7 Old 04-27-2010, 11:08 AM
Beginner

See, everyone else I talk to says they never have the same problem. I don't get why it's just me, and all the kinds I buy?

I'll try the Bobs Red Mill. The last kind I tried was Eden Organics red quinoa and it was full of crunchy bits. I'm cooking it long enough, the quinoa is a really nice texture until CRUNCH.... ugh

Thanks for all the recommendations, I'll give it another try or two...
#8 Old 04-27-2010, 11:19 AM
Banned

i sometimes get A crunchy bit. i veiw it as an unavoidable hazard of the food. sort of like when i used to get a bit of shell in my scrambled egg- which i still worry about now, even though my scramble has been tofu for a good 10 years.... which doesn't have an eggshell.
#9 Old 04-28-2010, 08:11 AM
Beginner

See now, I would mind A crunchy bit. The problem is I get MANY crunchy bits and I don't like it. Every 2 or 3 bites I get a crunchy bit or two and it's completely obnoxious!
#10 Old 04-28-2010, 11:00 AM
Banned

Quote:

See now, I would mind A crunchy bit. The problem is I get MANY crunchy bits and I don't like it. Every 2 or 3 bites I get a crunchy bit or two and it's completely obnoxious!

looks like your quinoa sucks down there more than ours does up here?
#11 Old 04-29-2010, 01:59 PM
Beginner

Perhaps (though I seem to recall cooking quinoa in Canada with the same issues!) Other people around me down here swear they don't have this problem. Maybe it's just me
#12 Old 04-29-2010, 05:57 PM
Beginner

Quote:

See, everyone else I talk to says they never have the same problem. I don't get why it's just me, and all the kinds I buy?

I'll try the Bobs Red Mill. The last kind I tried was Eden Organics red quinoa and it was full of crunchy bits. I'm cooking it long enough, the quinoa is a really nice texture until CRUNCH.... ugh

Thanks for all the recommendations, I'll give it another try or two...

As MJVeggie, I've found too that red quinoa is crunchy. Perhaps you could get someone to mail you a package which they've never had a problem with? Then you could compare. Or even perhaps do an exchange, like mail some to someone and have them mail to you. Then each do a comparison to see if it's an issue with your kitchen or not.

I've never had that issue with the white quinoa though.

I believe everything.
#13 Old 04-29-2010, 06:31 PM
Banned

Quote:

Perhaps (though I seem to recall cooking quinoa in Canada with the same issues!) Other people around me down here swear they don't have this problem. Maybe it's just me

could it maybe perhaps be bits of your fillings falling out, husband sabotage, or something?
#14 Old 04-29-2010, 07:00 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by nogardsram View Post

As MJVeggie, I've found too that red quinoa is crunchy. Perhaps you could get someone to mail you a package which they've never had a problem with? Then you could compare. Or even perhaps do an exchange, like mail some to someone and have them mail to you. Then each do a comparison to see if it's an issue with your kitchen or not.

I've never had that issue with the white quinoa though.

Yes, red quinoa does have a bit more bite to it than the white kind, but this gritty crunchiness is different than that (or were you referring to the grittiness being more prevalent in the red kind?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoodedclawjen View Post

could it maybe perhaps be bits of your fillings falling out, husband sabotage, or something?

Well, I would find it a bit strange that bits of my fillings only fall out when I'm eating quinoa, like it's breaking down their chemical structure in some way, and that I don't notice any reduction in volume of said fillings. Just checked, and yup, they seem to be all present and accounted for ("all" being 2 )

And my husband wouldn't sabotage quinoa, because he likes the stuff and I would cook it more often if it didn't have crunchies, and he would like that.

The crunchy quinoa thing reminds me of the hard shelled bits you get in rice and oatmeal some time. But that's not nearly so bad or as prevalent.
#15 Old 04-29-2010, 07:27 PM
Banned

Quote:

Well, I would find it a bit strange that bits of my fillings only fall out when I'm eating quinoa, like it's breaking down their chemical structure in some way, and that I don't notice any reduction in volume of said fillings. Just checked, and yup, they seem to be all present and accounted for ("all" being 2 )

maybe its magnetic or summik?

Quote:
And my husband wouldn't sabotage quinoa, because he likes the stuff and I would cook it more often if it didn't have crunchies, and he would like that.

The crunchy quinoa thing reminds me of the hard shelled bits you get in rice and oatmeal some time. But that's not nearly so bad or as prevalent.

hmmm. very odd. maybe you should get someone to mail you quinoa that they've found to not be crunchy, and see if you have the same issue?
#16 Old 04-29-2010, 07:32 PM
Beginner

I'm thinking that might be an idea

Or rather, I could ask the MIL, because I'm pretty sure she makes quinoa and she lives just 4 blocks away this time of year
#17 Old 04-29-2010, 07:57 PM
Banned

there ya go! let us know how it works out, yeah?
#18 Old 04-29-2010, 08:00 PM
Beginner

Sure thing!

In the meantime I'll have to cook up all this quinoa I have here (because I keep buying it, trying it, and not liking it then storing it and not using it) and make my husband eat it
#19 Old 04-29-2010, 08:19 PM
Banned

Quote:

Sure thing!

In the meantime I'll have to cook up all this quinoa I have here (because I keep buying it, trying it, and not liking it then storing it and not using it) and make my husband eat it

oh dear.

stupid question- but if you laid it out in a thin layer could you see the crunchy bits? can you very gently rinse cooked quinoa without it turning to mush? maybe you could get the crunchies out?
#20 Old 04-29-2010, 08:36 PM
Beginner

I don't know, I haven't looked for the crunchy bits, but they don't seem obvious to me. I could go scouting through and see what I can find. I tried spitting out the crunchy bit once to see what it looks like, but it didn't look that different from quinoa.
#21 Old 04-29-2010, 09:51 PM
Beginner

Quote:

Yes, red quinoa does have a bit more bite to it than the white kind, but this gritty crunchiness is different than that (or were you referring to the grittiness being more prevalent in the red kind?)

I was just stating that I've noticed that red quinoa is crunchy and I'm not fond of that. I prefer the white kind. However, if your crunchiness is different, then I just do not know. Maybe it was contaminated with sand or something...

Good luck!

I believe everything.
#22 Old 04-30-2010, 01:59 PM
Beginner

Yes, that is what it is like, little pieces of sand. I checked my uncooked red quinoa today and didn't see anything that would be obviously crunchy. Hmmm
#23 Old 04-30-2010, 02:08 PM
Beginner

Just to let you know, I have this EXACT same problem!

I can't offer you any help, but I just though you might like to know someone else is sharing your pain- gritty quinoa sucks! It really puts me off eating it a lot of the time too =/
#24 Old 04-30-2010, 02:37 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by .ghost. View Post

Just to let you know, I have this EXACT same problem!

I can't offer you any help, but I just though you might like to know someone else is sharing your pain- gritty quinoa sucks! It really puts me off eating it a lot of the time too =/

Yay! I could hug you! I'm not happy you have to deal with this issue, because I know it sucks, but I'm glad to know I'm not crazy!
#25 Old 05-01-2010, 01:51 AM
Beginner

Haha xD

I know how you feel. As much as I'm sorry for all the pain and suffering you're going through here, it's nice to know I'm not the only one.

Do you think if we find some others we should set up a support group? I don't think eveyone else in this thread quite realises how much of an issue gritty quinoa is (it makes me feel a bit nauseous sometimes, ew).

*HUGS!*
#26 Old 05-01-2010, 11:13 AM
American Made, Rebel Born

I like the yellow quinoa, and there is no crunchy. otomik always made his in a rice cooker, how do you make yours?

**** the pint, she take blood by the liter. 

i'll never leave her, my vicious vixen. 

#27 Old 05-01-2010, 06:01 PM
Beginner

I cook it on the stove, the same way I make rice. The yellow/white kind is gritty for me too
#28 Old 05-01-2010, 06:28 PM
Beginner

yes, I have had the exact same problem. I haven't cooked quinoa in ages because of it.

Nec Aspera Terrent
#29 Old 05-02-2010, 01:14 PM
Beginner

I wonder why some people are having this problem and others aren't?
#30 Old 05-05-2010, 09:59 AM
Beginner

I don't like red quinoa at all. I think you have to cook it for about 500 times longer than the white stuff. I've undercooked the white quinoa before, too, and it's awful. Just let it soak or simmer for as long as possible, adding more water and keeping it on a low temperature WITH A LID ON for as long as you can, until it soaks up the water. [Yeah I've burnt it a fair few times, too... Haha].

I hope that solves the problem but sorry if it doesn't help. =(

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page