Help me cook quinoa (without the crunchy bits!) - Page 2 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#31 Old 05-06-2010, 03:05 AM

throw it in here. fill it to the proper line with water from your britta filter and press the button. comes out perfect every time.

I get Earthly Delights brand organic bolivian quinoa from costco in 4lb bags. wash it under the sink until the water runs clear. maybe you have some odd brand, maybe it's just getting a little burnt with your current cooking methods.

washing is the same way as rice. but if you're unfamiliar

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A2R5o...eature=related

the cooker is a zojirushi induction heating model. it's great but not worth it unless grain is a big part of your diet. IMHO a great grain like quinoa should be.

any rice cooker is good to have but if it has a glass top it's probably crap. at least make sure it's a nonstick bowl/pan.

* This post may contain pork, beef and fingers of undocumented workers. This post was manufactured in a facility that processes peanuts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 Old 05-09-2010, 10:50 AM

Thanks for the info otomik. I make lots of grains, usually rice, and would cook quinoa a lot more often if I could make it work (especially since it cooks so much faster than brown rice)

I tried making it again yesterday morning, this time for my husband who is generally pretty tolerant of these sorts of things. I rinsed in a bowl, repeatedly, and found some small grains of sand in the bottom. I picked out as many as I could, but I could still hear my husband crunching when he got pieces (and he wasn't too happy about it either )

So it's not quinoa, it's sand in the quinoa

Incidentally I had red quinoa at my MIL's last night, and no crunchy bits. She told me the brand she gets, and so I'm going to try that.
#33 Old 05-09-2010, 01:53 PM

Fyvel, do you have the same issue when you buy quinoa in a package, as opposed to buying in bulk? I'm wondering if the bulk quinoa, being less processed, is just dirtier?

Nec Aspera Terrent
#34 Old 05-09-2010, 01:56 PM

Yup, the most recent and worst kind was packaged (it's this kind)

That was my thought, when I first started buying quinoa in bulk. I've since tried 2-3 different brands of packaged quinoa, all with the same result (well varying degrees of grittiness, but all gritty to some extent).
#35 Old 05-09-2010, 02:34 PM

I have the same problem, dunno what to do really.

"Hell exists not to punish sinners, but to ensure that nobody sins in the first place."
#36 Old 05-09-2010, 02:48 PM

Sorry Envy

So I just dug through the cupboard and found a jar of white quinoa that my SIL gave to me (she was in the city for a couple of weeks and gave us all her leftover food when she left). It's just in a glass jar for storage, so I have no idea what brand it is. I kind of forgot about it until a little while ago, I don't think I ever tried it (I'm scared of quinoa, I really am ). Since MIL said that the kind she uses was recommended by SIL, I thought I'd give it a try. I cooked it up and made it into a chickpea salad type thing. I had a couple of spoonfuls and everything seemed ok. But when I was scraping it out of the pot I saw a dark grain in the bottom, squished it and it crunched all up like a grain of dirt I just hope that's the only one, but I doubt it

I just hate going through the effort of rinsing it, cooking it, making it into something nice by putting other ingredients in and not being able to eat it when I get grossed out by the crunching
#37 Old 05-09-2010, 08:48 PM

How big are the grains of grit? If it's smaller than the quinoa, have you tried washing it in a colander? I have never had grit in my quinoa.. or any other grain for that matter, but I do feel for you, I am very particular about weird things, especially textures in my food, gag reflex kicks in.
#38 Old 05-09-2010, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misty View Post

How big are the grains of grit? If it's smaller than the quinoa, have you tried washing it in a colander? I have never had grit in my quinoa.. or any other grain for that matter, but I do feel for you, I am very particular about weird things, especially textures in my food, gag reflex kicks in.

I've tried washing it in a colander with a mesh about the same size of the quinoa grains, in fact a few of the smaller ones will pass through. For some reason the grit stays behind. Maybe I need to work on sifting it a little bit at a time, dry, rather than putting it all in at once and starting to rinse right away.

The good news is that the quinoa I made today didn't have any crunchy bits, and I ate about half of it (I cooked a cup). Yay
#39 Old 05-18-2010, 07:53 AM

Well it seems I found the solution to my quinoa problem (and it seems to involve going broke).

It's this stuff, Ancient Harvest Quinoa. It's over $5 for a 12 oz box at Whole Foods That's about 2 cups, uncooked, or abut 2 batches as I make it.

I'm actually really considering buying the box of 12 on Amazon, that puts it around $4 a box
#40 Old 05-18-2010, 09:45 AM

Thats outrageous in my opinion. I'll just keep buying mine in bulk at my local Lifesource. I made some last night actually (which made me especially notice this thread this morning lol). I just put a cup of red quinoa in my rice cooker (I didn't know you could even use those things for anything other then rice until a week ago) after rinsing it well in a big pot of water, and it turned out absolutely delicious and perfect. The only other time I'd made quinoa was in a pot on the stove and it came out just awful, but this method worked really well for me. I stirred in a little Korma sauce (Goddess I love that stuff !) for flavor, served it up with a homemade greek salad and some steamed Kale and voila. Great meal. I never knew eating vegan could be so delicious.
#41 Old 11-10-2011, 09:31 AM

I just found this forum when I was googling this subject! I want to chime in that I have this exact problem, which prompted my google. I love Quinoa but always seem to have at least a teeny bit of this horrible grit which certainly does cut way into our enjoyment! I'm not good about washing it first and will review the link to that procedure, but I wanted to be counted as another person who experiences this problem!
#42 Old 01-23-2012, 01:43 PM

I just made some quinoa and when I was done about 30 minutes later bad cramps. Did I cook it wrong did I not rinse it. I eat grains and seeds all the time and nothing. I do not no if people are allergic to it.

Thanks
#43 Old 01-23-2012, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancincorgi View Post

I just found this forum when I was googling this subject! I want to chime in that I have this exact problem, which prompted my google. I love Quinoa but always seem to have at least a teeny bit of this horrible grit which certainly does cut way into our enjoyment! I'm not good about washing it first and will review the link to that procedure, but I wanted to be counted as another person who experiences this problem!

Glad I'm not bonkers! The only solution I have found is the one mentioned earlier in the thread, that specific brand. Needless to say, I don't eat quinoa very often :/

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadacatman View Post

I just made some quinoa and when I was done about 30 minutes later bad cramps. Did I cook it wrong did I not rinse it. I eat grains and seeds all the time and nothing. I do not no if people are allergic to it.

Thanks

Maybe try rinsing it next time? Sorry about the gi issues

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
#44 Old 07-03-2012, 06:19 PM

I had exactly the same problem, awful little crunchy bits in my first-ever bulk organic quinoa purchase. After a couple of spoonfuls I dumped the rest onto the flowerbed. BUT I FIXED THE PROBLEM! Here is what I did-- First I looked a it on a plate, but didn't find any stones or grit, so I put a half a cup of quinoa into a clear plastic cup with a flat bottom. I filled this with water. I soaked the quinoa for a half an hour, occasionally stirring and jabbing into the seed with a butter knife. The idea here is to let any big grit settle to the bottom, and get any sand off the seeds and settle it. At the end of this time I decanted most of the water, and lifted out the soaked seed with a spoon, leaving the layer on the bottom. I put the soaked seed into a grocery-store strainer with a rather large wire weave and a plastic rim, and suspended this in a bowl of water so I could agitate the quinoa in water but keep it in the strainer. The water for the soak and the water from this step was cloudy so the seed wasn't all that clean to start with. The idea for this step was to let any sand settle through the strainer and into the bowl. Some small seeds went through but not enough to bother. Almost all of the quinoa stayed in the strainer. I then scooped the seed from the strainer into a saucepan. Then I added water and a pinch of salt and cooked it (18 minutes, 5 minute rest). I then carefully spooned off most of the cooked seed, leaving some at the bottom of the pot. Turns out that wasn't necessary-- NOT ONE BIT OF GRIT anywhere in my meal!! Not even in the bottom of the pot! Hope this works for you, it sure did for me. It does waste a little of the seed, but it is totally worth it !
#45 Old 02-27-2013, 09:22 PM

I can't tell you how happy it makes me to see that there are other people who are experiencing the gritty Quinoa! I have made batch after batch trying to figure out how I could cook it so wrong so many times. Everyone I talk to thinks I am crazy. I love Quinoa when there is NO "sand" if that is what it is. I have had to gag so much down, because I wanted the health benefits. I don't know how old this thread is, but if there is a GOOD Brand without the grits (or even very little) I would be so grateful to find it. My husband is not sold on the whole Quinoa idea after this gritty mess.

#46 Old 02-28-2013, 08:35 AM

I buy quinoa in a 25 lb. bag from amazon for about $75. I bag it up and store it in the fridge. lasts us about 6 months. I've never experienced the crunchy thing. I do rinse it before I cook it though.

#47 Old 02-28-2013, 09:47 AM
Not such a Beginner ;)

I suspect the crunchy bits are raw quinoa that stick together in the cooking process, so they can't absorb the water and soften.) http://slapdashcook.blogspot.com

Some interesting quinoa recipes here, can be veganized if they aren't.. http://verygoodrecipes.com/salad/quinoa/2012/09/pomegranate-and-quinoa-salad.html?m=1
#48 Old 07-09-2013, 09:45 PM

Hello,

The following pics are from half a bag of "pre-washed" quinoa made by a popular brand and sold a supermarket.  The crunch you describe is sand an grit that was not removed by cleaning process.  Quinoa can varry in size to the point where many colandars will not screen it properly because the holes are too big/small to trap/release debris or quinoa.

Process to capture pictures and or clean quinoa was achieved by swirling water and quinoa in large bowl with my hand and capturing quinoa which is lighter than sand in a mesh sieve or metal strainer.  This is my first experience with quinoa laden with this much sand/grit, but it is enought to turn me off to popular brand and make me want to wash all product in the future.

Thanks,

Nick

#49 Old 11-28-2013, 10:29 AM

I have the same problem as well.  Can't stand it as it feels like I am breaking a tooth!  I just bought a huge batch of already cooked and prepackaged from Costco - so easy - open the bowl and heat.... but now I am going to take it back - I can't afford to lose a tooth!  I do love it - I cook it with Thai curry sauce and organic veggies... but I have not been able to chew properly for fear!  So sad..... :(  I will try to rinse the cooked Quinoa and see if that helps... hate this!!!  Thanks for the thread!  I will try other brands and soak and soak....

#50 Old 03-30-2014, 10:21 AM

Every time I fix quinoa it has sand in it. Rinsing helps but doesn't get rid of all of it.  I have recently bought organic raisins that had grit in them as well.

#51 Old 11-13-2014, 06:56 AM

e kank

I found by adding more water or broth; equal parts of quinoa to liquid cooking a bit longer than suggested... sometimes it just helps
to hydrate those little pieces more when cooking. Good luck.
#52 Old 11-13-2014, 06:27 PM

Aldi had their Simply Organic quinoa a while back and I just opened a bag last night. Very, very good.
I hadn't had any for some time and really thought this one cooked better than I remembered. No grit whatsoever.
I cooked it 1/2 cup quinoa to 1 cup water but it didn't need that much water. Used Better than Boullion no chicken base in it.

If you see it at an Aldi get it- they went fast, not an usual item.
#53 Old 11-13-2014, 06:39 PM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Our new cafeteria at work has different "stations" and one is The Lighter Side, where the daily offering is often vegan or can be easily ordered so. The other day he had a red quinoa dish, and the quinoa had crunchy bits!! I've never had that happen before, and I now see that this thread has been revived right in time! I thought of this thread while I crunched my quinoa at work.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page