Soy Milk / Hemp Milk / Rice Milk / Almond Milk/ Whatever Milk - VeggieBoards

Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 04-17-2010, 07:18 PM

I used to drink a lot of soy milk. And was addicted to delicious, ice-cold chocolate soy milk. Mmmm.

Anyways, I have also tried almond milk as well by Blue Diamond. It's pretty tasty.

I still haven't ventured to try hemp milk or rice milk. But from what I have been reading, hemp milk tastes like ass? I was also looking into the possibility of trying hemp protein. Never done anything like that before either, but I was thinking that rather that indulge in chocolate soy milk, I could get some protein into the mix with a chocolate hemp protein?

Either way, what do you drink?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-17-2010, 07:28 PM
Arrrg! Me mateys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by _sharon View Post

But from what I have been reading, hemp milk tastes like ass?

Good way to put it. I have some in the fridge. Tastes like... eww. Never again.

I have rice milk most of the time when I'm using alternative milks. Yummy.

korrakorrakorrakorrakorra
#3 Old 04-17-2010, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puppet Master View Post

Good way to put it. I have some in the fridge. Tastes like... eww. Never again.

Really? That bad?

Is it flavored or original? Which brand is it?

Haha, I'm killing you with questions... but what does it taste like? Grainy?

#4 Old 04-17-2010, 07:32 PM

I usually buy regular rice milk for cereal (vanilla is too sweet for me). I just bought a carton of chocolate hemp milk. The kids and I liked it and never once thought of ass when I was drinking it....lol
#5 Old 04-17-2010, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treehugger267 View Post

I usually buy regular rice milk for cereal (vanilla is too sweet for me). I just bought a carton of chocolate hemp milk. The kids and I liked it and never once thought of ass when I was drinking it....lol

Which brand did you end up getting? I think there was this Manitoba one or Living Harvest that I have seen.
#6 Old 04-17-2010, 07:39 PM

Go with living harvest, it smells funny but the taste is just fine.
#7 Old 04-17-2010, 07:42 PM
Arrrg! Me mateys.

Quote:

Really? That bad?

Is it flavored or original? Which brand is it?

Haha, I'm killing you with questions... but what does it taste like? Grainy?

The first time I used it, it was with cereal. I couldn't finish it. It was just weird all around. Then I tried it again a few days later to drink with some cookies, and just....no. Not touching it again.

It's umm... *goes to look* "unsweetened original" from Living Harvest.

It didn't taste grainy, I don't think. It just wasn't as good as the all the rice/almond/soy milks I've had. I can't really describe it. It was kinda like.. not dirt, but if I was licking the sidewalk or something.

korrakorrakorrakorrakorra
#8 Old 04-17-2010, 07:51 PM

Quote:

Which brand did you end up getting? I think there was this Manitoba one or Living Harvest that I have seen.

hmmm I threw away the box... I'll look when I go to the store tomorrow and get back to you.
#9 Old 04-17-2010, 08:01 PM

I had some hemp milk a couple of months ago, don't remember the brand or the flavor. I didn't hate it as much as Puppet Master but it did have a funny aftertaste and it was too watery for me. Rice milk is also too watery.

My favorite milk analogue is almond but soy is pretty good too. I usually buy unsweetened since I also use it to cook.

don't take my life away, don't take my life away.
#10 Old 04-17-2010, 08:34 PM

living harvest chocolate hempmilk is divine. i also have the unsweetened hempmilk, and have mixed feelings about it. the consistency and color are really nice, but there is a sort of weird taste to it. not sure if it's ass-like, not having tasted ass, but it's sort of a isthisanormalfoodliketaste. i cannot stand it in my tea, but for some reason if i drink it plain, i like it fine, especially when i do a half-half with almond milk. i'm going to try cooking and baking with it and see how it is like that. rice milk is way too watery for me. i have tried really hard to like it, since it's much easier to get where i live than the other non-dairy non-soy milks, but, while it tastes okaaay, it's not great and the consistency leaves much to be desired if you're going for a milk-like creaminess. so far, i haven't found anything to beat almond as an all-round pleaser. i love unsweetened chocolate almond for drinking, and unsweetened original for everything else. almond milk is nice to put in coffee and tea. it doesn't significantly change the taste imo, and is creamy enough to make the coffee/tea feel drinkable. that pacific something or the other brand almond milk, though, that stuff tastes BAD.

"Somewhere along the way, someone is going to tell you, 'There is no "I" in team.' What you should tell them is, 'Maybe not. But there is an "I" in independence, individuality and integrity." Â George Carlin
#11 Old 04-17-2010, 08:36 PM

p.s. if you're making your own, cashew milk and almond milk are yum!

"Somewhere along the way, someone is going to tell you, 'There is no "I" in team.' What you should tell them is, 'Maybe not. But there is an "I" in independence, individuality and integrity." Â George Carlin
#12 Old 04-17-2010, 08:52 PM

I have only been vegan for 9 months, but I've been drinking soy milk for YEARS. I drank several brands, and I liked 'em a lot.

Then, recently, my store started stocking Almond Breeze... And one day I had a coupon... So I bought it.

And you'll never catch me buying soy milk again.
#13 Old 04-18-2010, 05:18 AM

Well here in Granada where I'm studying abroad I only have soy milk. But when I'm back in the states I prefer rice milk. I haven't tried almond milk yet though- I'm thinking about trying it when I get back in a month or so. But I think sometimes the rice milk is a tad too sweet with cereal. Great for my hot pumpkin lattes in the fall though... mmm

☮ paz. ♥ amor. = igualdad.
#14 Old 04-18-2010, 06:39 AM

Almond milk ftw!
#15 Old 04-18-2010, 06:40 AM

I love me some almond milk! Soy milk is ok, but almond milk just tastes creamier and cleaner to me. Weird description I know. I've never tried rice or hemp or anything, my mainstream stores don't carry them. I've heard good things about rice milk though, I'd be willing to try it.

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will then know peace" - Jimi Hendrix
#16 Old 04-18-2010, 08:09 AM

I would soooo love to try almond milk! But I have never found any here in Norway, sadly.

I rarely drink milk, but when I do it is oatmilk. Use it in cooking, too. I don`t like soymilk, and I find ricemilk to be very, very sweet. Ok taste, but just too sweet.
#17 Old 04-18-2010, 08:51 AM

Quote:

Either way, what do you drink?

Rice milk.

m8itcanw8.com
#18 Old 04-18-2010, 09:13 AM

I loved soy and almond milks especially flavored and sweet ones. I've tried a brown sugar flavored oatmilk that was amazing. I'm not too fond of rice milk because I think it's too watery and thin and I prefer thick and creamy milks. I haven't tried Hemp milk because it just doesn't sound appealing to me. I was really disappointed in the So Delicious Coconut milk which I found too thin, watery, and lacking of enough coconut flavor. Their vanilla coffee creamer however is fantastic.
#19 Old 04-18-2010, 09:48 AM

I drink Rice Milk! Only the Organic Vanilla kind!!

Its better than any other milk to me!

Click here to visit my webpage! http://astrotidbits.blogspot.com/
#20 Old 04-18-2010, 12:51 PM

I've been addicted to Silk Almond Milk since I tried it. The vanilla flavor is WAY too sugary for me, so I drink the regular flavor. I wish they would make a chocolate flavor! WAY better than soy milk and ten thousand times better than cow's milk.

"I used to hate dogs 'til I saw one kill a kid." W.C. Fields
#21 Old 04-18-2010, 05:09 PM
Veggie Regular

I drink soy milk. I have a cup of chocolate soy with breakfast for a little protein, and sometimes have a smoothie. I feel like this is maybe a bit too much soy since I eat tofu also, and I know soy milk is highly processed. But I tried rice milk and it did not make me full the way soy milk does, and I have a nut allergy so I can't have almond milk. So I drink soy milk and feel guilty about it
#22 Old 04-18-2010, 08:58 PM

I only drink soy milk. I tried rice milk awhile ago and didn't like it. I may try it again soon. But Almond Milk made me want to vomit! Never tried hemp milk.
#23 Old 04-19-2010, 11:59 AM

I used to drink Pearl Soy Milk by the bucketful. Now I drink So Delicious coconut milk beverages. I think they are the best. Their French Vanilla coconut milk creamer is really good, too.
#24 Old 04-19-2010, 12:18 PM
Banned

Quote:

But from what I have been reading, hemp milk tastes like ass?

Hahahaha, this made me choke on my salad, which conveniently has shelled hemp seeds on it. I find hemp taste pretty meh overall, so I imagine a hemp milk doesn't taste like liquid sugar. Sorry, though, I haven't tried hemp milk.
#25 Old 04-19-2010, 06:12 PM

My mom doesn't know I've decided to try out being vegan instead of lacto-ovo, so she hasn't bought me any soy milk yet. She's lactose intolerant so she drinks rice milk, and.....it's awful.
#26 Old 04-19-2010, 07:08 PM

I've never had rice, coconut, or hemp milk, but I've had plain, vanilla, and chocolate soy milk & vanilla almond milk, and so far, vanilla almond is my favorite! I'm curious to try the others though, especially if I could find free or super cheap samples in case I didn't like them.
#27 Old 04-20-2010, 02:29 PM

i try to limit my soy consumption, so i use Pacific's organic almond milk. it's easy to make your own almond milk with almond butter also. i don't use much though. just in an occasional bowl of cereal or baking from time to time
#28 Old 04-22-2010, 09:31 PM

I absolutely adore Blue Diamond's Almond Milk. I drink a cup everyday. Whenever I cook, I usually use unsweetened soy milk though. Almond milk tends to make food overly sweet.
#29 Old 04-24-2010, 06:57 AM

I tried almond milk a few months ago and didn't like it. I can't remember what brand I tried though, from everyone's posts, maybe I need to try it again! Currently I drink soy milk, I love Silk's vanilla flavored soymilk. I haven't tried chocolate soy milk yet. I'm the only vegetarian in the house, so I only keep one carton of non-dairy milk in the fridge at a time
#30 Old 04-24-2010, 07:37 AM

I've been interested in hemp milk, because I would really like to cut down on my consumption of organic cow's milk. Hemp milk seems to me the healthiest milk alternative when compared to rice/soy/almond, but I've never tasted any of them other than soy milk.

I've got my eye on ordering a box of Manitoba Harvest Organic Unsweetened, so if anyone's tried it, do share!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page