cabbage leaf wrap? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 04-09-2010, 10:32 PM
Beginner

I read somewhere that people use cabbage leaves to wrap stuff in (raw). I have a cabbage, what can I put inside these leaves???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-10-2010, 12:48 AM
Beginner

Anything you would put inside a spring roll or rice-paper wrap, I guess. Do you mean the ingredients inside are raw, or the cabbage leaves are raw? When I make cabbage rolls I steam the leaves to make them more pliable. I also use a paring knife to trim down any thick ribs; otherwise they are hard to roll.

Edit: This is what I mean by trimming the ribs. Linky
#3 Old 04-10-2010, 07:27 AM
Banned

I have made lettuce wraps before (I assume cabbage would substitute for it). For the filling, I diced up tofu, onion, garlic and peanuts and fried them with sesame oil and soy sauce. Then I topped it with hoisin sauce. It makes a really tasty meal. Mine came out looking like this (but this was a slightly different recipe):

http://www.vegetariantimes.com/recipes/10794
#4 Old 04-10-2010, 07:44 AM
Beginner

Tree, I often use collard leaves to roll/wrap things in. Just think about traditional cabbage rolls, remember those stuffed with meat and tomato sauce? Well you can do riffs off that by stuffing them with rice and beans or you could spread a layer of potato and roll them to make a pinwheel. Here is a link to a stuffed collard I did a few months back. This might give you some ideas.

My Vegan Food Blog: http://soundlyvegan.com
#5 Old 04-10-2010, 07:58 AM
Beginner

Ooh! I love cabbage leaves!

I use them mostly in replace of breads! (I'm mildly allergic to wheat) So if I'm making a burger or chik'n sandwich, instead of a bun, I will use a big cabbage leaf as the 'base' and make lots of different open-faced sandwiches with them. They're REALLY good rolled up with Chickpea / mock tuna salad spread and pickles!

Click here to visit my webpage! http://astrotidbits.blogspot.com/
#6 Old 04-10-2010, 08:57 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepydvdr View Post

I have made lettuce wraps before (I assume cabbage would substitute for it). For the filling, I diced up tofu, onion, garlic and peanuts and fried them with sesame oil and soy sauce. Then I topped it with hoisin sauce. It makes a really tasty meal. Mine came out looking like this (but this was a slightly different recipe):

http://www.vegetariantimes.com/recipes/10794

I love lettuce wraps!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page