How long does tofu have to be cooked for, minimum? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 03-22-2010, 09:23 PM
Beginner

I had some packaged tofu from a stir-fry tonight where I did not use all of it. I was hoping to do something a little different so I would not feel I was eating the same thing two days in a row, I thought it might be good in a salad but was not sure how long it had to be cooked for. I tried putting some salad dressing on it and microwaving it for five minutes (in the stir-fry, it took ten minutes) but after two minutes in the microwave, the sauce was already bubbling. I paused, stirred and let it go another minute but the sauce was bubbling like crazy. Is this now cooked enough to be put in a salad tomorrow? I don't want any bacteria problems or anything. But I think some people don't cook tofu at all, so I was not sure if I could just eat it 'out of the bag' as it were, or not. So...two and change minutes in the micro with bubbling salad dressing. Can I fridge it now and toss it onto a salad tomorrow, risk-free?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-22-2010, 09:41 PM
Beginner

Wow. I have never heard of microwaving tofu so I have no idea. I would say there's no bacteria and doubtful little nutrition or anything left after subjecting it to that experience. How exactly does tofu turn out when "cooked" in the microwave? Does it firm up or brown?

Tofu can be eaten right out of the package, no cooking needed, I do it all the time for tofu "egg" salad sandwiches or sushi - but if you buy it fresh from a bulk bucket (like at the co-op or an Asian market) it might be better to cook it a bit if you're really worried about it.

When you stir-fry it, are you cooking it first and then adding to the veggies? Or cooking it along with the veggies? That might be what is taking so long. Fry it on high heat in a well-oiled or non-stick pan, turning as it starts to brown a bit. Don't "stir" it but let it sit until each side browns. Remove from pan and stir-fry your veggies and THEN add the tofu back in.
#3 Old 03-23-2010, 05:29 AM
Beginner

You really don't have to cook tofu at all. I've heard of some of the people on these boards eating it 'raw'.
#4 Old 03-23-2010, 05:40 AM
Banned

Tofu can be eaten raw. I hate the raw texture and I cook it until crispy, but that's a personal preference and nothing to do with making it "safe" to eat.
#5 Old 03-23-2010, 06:10 AM
Beginner

I don't mind the raw texture, but I usually bake my blocks of tofu. I chop it up into small cubes, toss with a little cooking spray, and bake 400F for 30 minutes, turning once after 15 minutes. It gets nice and crispy.

Raw, opened tofu keeps for about a week in the fridge (if you change the water every day), so I think you're OK with the sauce you made.
#6 Old 03-23-2010, 06:48 AM
Beginner

Depending on what I'm making such as mock feta or tofu mayo, I use raw tofu fairly often and haven't keeled over yet.

Support your right to arm bears. ~Cleveland Amory
#7 Old 03-23-2010, 07:13 AM
Beginner

IF you are eating pre-packaged tofu (nasoya, soyboy, etc...) then you can eat it straight out of the package. If you are buying tofu "loose" like at an asian market or out of a bulk bin, then you need to either cook it, or boil it for 5 minutes to kill any germs that might have gotten in the water.

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
#8 Old 03-23-2010, 03:12 PM
Beginner

I'm glad to know I'm not weird to eat tofu right out of the package I was concerned for a little bit that you were *supposed* to cook it, but I kept on eating it like that anyway and nothing disastrous happened.
#9 Old 03-23-2010, 03:59 PM
Beginner

Tofu has already been cooked - it is NOT raw. Someone tried to serve me that as a raw meal.....not very bright.

But yes, you can eat it out of the pacakge.
#10 Old 03-24-2010, 10:08 PM
Beginner

Thank you!

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page