Vegan bread brands? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 02-22-2010, 03:20 PM
Beginner

I'm in Ohio and need to know some bread brands that are vegan. Most have mono and diglycerides and enzymes which may or may not be vegan. I'd like to know some hamburgur, hotdog and plain loaf brands of bread. Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-22-2010, 03:46 PM
Beginner

The (supposed) vegan breads I know of are;

- Sunbeam breads

- Cobblestone Mill's Kaiser Roll Bread (like hamburger buns)

and

- Arnold's Whole Wheat Breads (some are vegan, but to be safe do a label check)

Those are the only 3 I've heard mention of.. =)

Good luck!

Click here to visit my webpage! http://astrotidbits.blogspot.com/
#3 Old 02-22-2010, 05:12 PM
Beginner

Ezekiel bread is a good vegan sandwich bread. It takes some getting used to, since it's made from sprouted grains, but I really like it. No weird ingredients that take a chemistry degree to identify.

I'm in Michigan, so you should be able to find it in Ohio. It's sometimes kept in the freezer at the grocery, since there are no preservatives.

don't take my life away, don't take my life away.
#4 Old 02-22-2010, 05:36 PM
Beginner

I'm between Akron and Cleveland. Do you have an Aldi's by you? If you're looking for a cheap wheat bread, their L'oven Fresh wheat bread is vegan. I went through all the ingrediants, even the dough conditioners are listed and check out. It does have corn syrup.

I've gotten to like Aldi's for a lot of veg staples, and I don't even notice their meat aisle.
#5 Old 02-22-2010, 06:01 PM
Beginner

Barowsky's 12 Grain Organic Bread is wicked awesome, but it may only be found in New England, I'm not sure.

Vegetarian since February 12, 2007
Vegan since October 7, 2008
www.NewEnglandVegan.com
#6 Old 02-23-2010, 05:45 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleM View Post

. Most have mono and diglycerides and enzymes which may or may not be vegan.

those are potentially animal based? Without knowing, I just thought they were chemicals basically!

My brand new website for health coaching, and where all of my recipes will reside! www.TheHolisticDragonfly.com
My previous food photography and portrait blog: www.creativeinspirationsphotography.blogspot.com
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1435413727
#7 Old 02-23-2010, 07:27 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luxxi View Post

- Arnold's Whole Wheat Breads (some are vegan, but to be safe do a label check)

It's not just the Arnold's whole wheat. I get their rye bread, too. I think most of their flavors are vegan. The advantage of bread for a Kosher audience - they make a point of avoiding dairy products (whey), because that would keep Kosher Jews from being able to put meat on their bread.

--Fromper

#8 Old 02-25-2010, 08:51 AM
Beginner

I usually put a slice or two of Ezekiel bread in my bullet or food processor and whirl and then add herbs and spices.
#9 Old 02-25-2010, 09:16 AM
Beginner

We like Dave's Powerseed bread. I do not know if it's available that far East. When we were in Virginia we'd buy Ezekiel bread where it was in the frozen section of the health food area.

My Vegan Food Blog: http://soundlyvegan.com
#10 Old 02-25-2010, 09:19 AM
Beginner

You know what I've just noticed? I've just noticed while browsing through the bakery section in the grocery store lots of the bulk rolls and buns are vegan and cheap as well. I was checking out the ingredients and was like..wow, this is vegan. I would get this bread instead of wracking my brain trying to find a specific name brand of vegan bread. The only downside to this is that they don't display the nutrition facts on the bin, just the ingredients. If I do get a name brand of bread...I would just go to Trader Joe's, they have vegan bread..I don't remember which one specifically..I think the sprouted whole grain or something like that. I do know that they carry some vegan bread.

~~Never take for granted the things in your posession, put your crown to the ground and stay in constant submission to the MOST HIGH~~~
~~ Yesterday is the past, and tomorrow is the future, today is a gift and that's why it's called the PRESENT~~

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page