Where to buy seitan? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 02-22-2010, 02:13 PM
Beginner

Is seitan usually available in regular grocery stores?

I've never tried it and want to!

Any particular brand I should look for? Is it refrigerated or canned or what?

Thanks!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-22-2010, 02:20 PM
Beginner

I've seen it in health food stores, refrigerated, but I didn't like whatever brand I tried (though I like it in restaurants). I hear you can also find it labelled as "mock duck" and other things in some Asian stores (they call it "vegetarian chicken" on the menu at one restaurant I really like). I think it might come canned, too.

You can also make it yourself. It's made out of wheat gluten, which you can get from regular flour but it's easier to just buy wheat gluten separately. That should be available at a regular grocery store in the baking aisle. There are videos and recipes online, but I haven't tried it yet.
#3 Old 02-22-2010, 05:47 PM
Beginner

You can get it in Health Food Stores (maybe some larger grocery stores?) in the refrigerated section, "White Wave" is the only brand I know there. It will need seasoning or cooking in a sauce or breading and frying or adding to stir fry to make it very tasty. It's very bland and a bit rubbery, but versatile.

Also in Asian markets, you can get canned items, these are a much different texture and sometimes very flavorful, you just have to get past the whole "canned" idea. A good brand is "Companion" with a smallish can with a Blue, gold and red label. The "mock duck" and "mock abalone" are good and just little brown chunks in a gravy/broth.

The companies "Loma Linda" and "Worthington" also make some canned seitan/gluten products available in health food stores, and many regular grocery stores, and while they take MUCH more "getting used to" (they look VERY strange) some of the products are actually (surprisingly!!) VERY tasty and worth trying.
#4 Old 02-23-2010, 01:58 PM
Beginner

Well, I went by Central Market and they had West Soy brand, so I grabbed that!

I'm going to try this recipe tonight!

http://veganyumyum.com/2010/01/seita...tine-teriyaki/
#5 Old 02-25-2010, 08:52 PM
Beginner

I bought it in a local health food store not sure of the brand I used it in veggie goulash a few days ago....but havent seen it in any stores either.
#6 Old 02-26-2010, 06:25 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by stitchbug View Post

Well, I went by Central Market and they had West Soy brand, so I grabbed that!

I'm going to try this recipe tonight!

http://veganyumyum.com/2010/01/seita...tine-teriyaki/

that's funny....I was just on that site recently, and looked at that recipe. I have

t made seitan yet myself, but that looks really good!

My brand new website for health coaching, and where all of my recipes will reside! www.TheHolisticDragonfly.com
My previous food photography and portrait blog: www.creativeinspirationsphotography.blogspot.com
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1435413727
#7 Old 02-26-2010, 06:51 AM
Beginner

It was really good! Even my omni DH liked it!
#8 Old 02-26-2010, 06:57 AM
Beginner

I am in the UK and have never seen seitan, in HFS or in grocery stores. I know some areas have it - the bigger towns and cities - but until I get to one I will have to wait and wonder.
#9 Old 02-27-2010, 05:20 PM
Beginner

Colleen, make it yourself.....there are a ton of recipes online, and from everything I've read, homemade is better anyway.....just need some vital wheat gluten. If that's not available, you can use wheat flour, but it will take more work on your end.

My brand new website for health coaching, and where all of my recipes will reside! www.TheHolisticDragonfly.com
My previous food photography and portrait blog: www.creativeinspirationsphotography.blogspot.com
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1435413727
#10 Old 03-30-2010, 12:20 AM
Beginner

I am now making it! I found a supplier of gluten and lots of recipes. Still a bit trial and error though! Thanks for taking the trouble to reply.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page