I put too much chili powder in my chili! What can I do to salvage it? - VeggieBoards - A Vegetarian Community
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 02-14-2010, 08:44 PM
Banned

I made a large pot of chili this evening and used a brand of chili powered I'd never had before. Apparently, it is very, very hot. It's too spicy! I don't want to throw it out, I hate wasting things, but we can't eat it. I tried to eat it with bread and had a glass of almond milk on the side, but I just can't do it! Even my boyfriend, who puts hot sauce on practically everything, thinks it's too spicy.

Does anyone have any ideas of something I can add to it to absorb some of the heat? I'm so disappointed. .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-14-2010, 08:56 PM
Beginner

Add another big can of tomatoes,also beans (without spices) perhaps ?!
#3 Old 02-14-2010, 09:00 PM
Beginner

totally ^ add a big can of crushed tomatoes.
#4 Old 02-14-2010, 09:09 PM
Beginner

This same thing actually happened to me yesterday!! I consulted my mom, chili-expert, and she said to try adding some more onions (once they boil down they'll be less onion-y and more sweet) or to try adding a little bit of brown sugar (weird, but it works, just don't over do it or you'll have sweet chili!). Or definitely add more tomato or even some water to tone it down.
#5 Old 02-14-2010, 09:10 PM
Beginner

I did this over the weekend,and added some agave. It worked pretty well.

"Somewhere along the way, someone is going to tell you, 'There is no "I" in team.' What you should tell them is, 'Maybe not. But there is an "I" in independence, individuality and integrity." Â George Carlin
#6 Old 02-15-2010, 08:57 AM
Beginner

I've heard that you can add a peeled potato or two and cook for a little while followed by removing the potato. It's supposed to soak up the extra spice.

Maybe you could use some to make a tamale pie.The cornmeal would tone it down a bit.
#7 Old 02-15-2010, 09:16 AM
Beginner

Whenever I do this, I add another can or two of beans + diced tomatoes, if I have them on hand. I don't suggest lots of water or you'll end up with a soupy mess (in my experience!). Also, add 1 teaspoon of sugar and it cuts down on the spiciness tons!

I always add a bit of sugar to my spaghetti sauce & it makes for a VERY savory, yummy dish!

Don't throw it out! Its still salvagable! =)

PS The potatoe trick works, but it mainly only absorbs SALT -- not spices! It will cut down on the salty part, but sugar will be the thing to tone it down..

Click here to visit my webpage! http://astrotidbits.blogspot.com/
#8 Old 02-15-2010, 09:22 AM
Beginner

The sugar trick is certainly good to know, thanks for sharing!
#9 Old 02-15-2010, 01:05 PM
Banned

yeah, i'd double it in volume -add more of everything apart from chili powder- so you get twice as much chilli thats half as hot, plus throw in some sugar, and put the extra chilli into the freezer.
#10 Old 02-15-2010, 01:06 PM
Beginner

Also, you could try serving it over rice, or putting some of chili and rice into a tortilla and making burritos.
#11 Old 02-15-2010, 02:18 PM
Beginner

Add lemon juice
#12 Old 02-15-2010, 02:24 PM
Beginner

If you get desperate, you could rinse it with cold water for a few seconds too, then add some spice/flavor back in.

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol
#13 Old 02-17-2010, 07:23 PM
Banned

Thank you all very much for the suggestions!

I ended up adding:

1 large can of beans in tomato sauce

1 large can can chopped tomatoes

grated carrot

diced onion

maple syrup and

lemon juice

It was ridiculous. It is still a little bit too spicy, so I'm going to freeze it and use it in small portions for burritos, chili veggie burgers and with plenty of rice. I don't know what it is, but something about strong chilies gives me an awful headache, so I'm going to take it slow. I usually don't have any trouble in the kitchen, but this has really stumped me!

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page