City to consider taxing sodas - Page 2 - VeggieBoards

Forum Jump: 

#31 Old 02-06-2010, 11:37 AM

I see the logic in this. Soda is one of the leading causes of Western health problems. It's almost like making tiny down payments on how much these health problems will cost the system later. It is, however, disproportionately affecting people who have less money to begin with. And I don't think that's right. Overall though, I wouldn't mind if this gets passed, because (1) let's face it, it's not a huge tax, and it's on something people really don't need, (2) I see it possibly gradually changing the overall health of this country, and (3) honestly, it doesn't affect me much as I don't drink soda (at least I'm honest).

A much SMARTER thing for the government to do would be to end the stupid subsidies that make soda so cheap in the first place. We subsidize the crap out of corn and soybeans - so every bit of processed food in this country is made of corn and soybeans (including the animal products - it's nearly all they're fed). No variety = terribly unhealthy food. It should NOT be cheaper for me to buy a disgusting, processed burger, soda, and bag of potato chips than it is for me to buy some freakin' produce (ACTUAL FOOD!). These subsidies have condemned poor people in America to a permanent state of disease. You can't feed healthy people OR animals on just the different physical and chemical extractions you can get from 2 plants. (It's crazy what you learn when you start reading ingredients labels, huh? lol) It's a terribly unethical thing we're doing. The government should spread those subsidies to local, organic, sustainable produce of all types. Subsidizing something so it's the cheapest ingredient, then taxing it back when people eat/drink it, is stupid and discriminatory.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 Old 02-06-2010, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poptartfrog View Post

I definitely think people should drink less soda, but I believe that is the consumer's responsibility. I also don't think people should eat meat, (the cruelty factor aside, I don't think it's good for you) but I'd be against a tax increase on meat products too. (on principle...) What it comes down to is personal responsibility. People need to take control of their own lives and decide for themselves what they do or don't want to eat. Who do they think they're kidding anyway? This additional tax isn't going to make people stop drinking soda just as an additional tax on meat would not turn people vegetarian. That's not what it's about. Like someone already said the government is just trying to squeeze more money out of people.

I don't drink much soda, so this additional tax isn't going to affect me too much. If I honestly believed an additional tax would make people drink less soda (and I knew the money wasn't going to be mismanaged) I don't think I would be against this. Soda is garbage, and I don't WANT people to drink it but that's not up to me.

Well said.

The Big Bad.
#33 Old 02-06-2010, 11:41 AM

It will affect those of us who don't drink soda, when the meat lobby suggests taxes on soy foods, and uses the soda tax as some sort of bizarre precedent.

As we should have learned from the Prohibition, forcing people, or punishing them, for consuming things that aren't good for them, doesn't work. Education is the only solution to the obesity problem. Shame on the government for exploiting the obesity problem in order to profit from it.

www.thesaucyvegan.com

#34 Old 02-06-2010, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomebodyElse View Post

It will affect those of us who don't drink soda, when the meat lobby suggests taxes on soy foods, and uses the soda tax as some sort of bizarre precedent.

As we should have learned from the Prohibition, forcing people, or punishing them, for consuming things that aren't good for them, doesn't work. Education is the only solution to the obesity problem. Shame on the government for exploiting the obesity problem in order to profit from it.

also well said.

The Big Bad.
#35 Old 02-06-2010, 01:17 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photojess View Post

NY was one of the first states to consider doing this, at the end of last yr, but it never went through.....I didn't have a problem with it at all.....soda is a leading contributer to obesity and diabetes in our youth.....

anyway, I know that a 20 oz bottle of Mtn Dew has 19 tsp of sugar in it. That would be a 1/4 cup + 2 Tbsps. They have to add all of that citric acid to counter balance the sweetness.

We do tax bottled water in NY though... not that that's hard to avoid (just carry your own bottle!) but why beverage discrimination?

http://megatarian.blogspot.com

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page