VeggieBoards banner

Bored with my standard noodle soup, what else can I make with rice noodles?

597 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  MrFalafel 
#1 ·
I have a standard noodle soup I make with broth (sometimes miso), two cubes of frozen spinach and a cup or so of beans or cooked tofu. It's yummy, filling and is one of my standard go-to meals. But I am getting a little bored. I want to make something else! I don't eat regular pasta due to wheat issues, and found gluten-free pasta very difficult to digest, so these rice noodles are my only 'noodle' fix. I am trying to avoid going out tonight to buy fast food, so I really need some help. I was thinking some sort of noodle dish like you get in Chinese restaurants when you order noodles, but I don't know how to make the sauce.

I am pretty well-stocked with spices, have dried lentils of three colours plus canned beans of two kinds, a block of unopened tofu, soy sauce, tomato sauce, frozen vegetables (peas, brussels sprouts, carrots, maybe some others), cooking oil, etc. So I may not even have to go out again, but if I do it's okay because I have to buy hummus and veggies for a party tomorrow. So, with that said, what fabulous noodle dish can I make tonight? I am going to log off from here, go do a workout and then decide...

#2 ·
A coupla suggestions:

Tofu with Rice Noodles - Japan

80ml teriyaki sauce

250g tofu, diced

255g rice noodles

1 tbsp toasted sesame oil

1/2 small red onion, finely chopped

5cm root ginger, grated

3 garlic cloves, crushed

50g roasted cashew nuts

Cook the rice noodles according to packet instruction. Drain, rinse with hot water and return to the pan. Toss the noodles with a splash of the sesame oil and set aside.

Heat the oil in a wok or a large frying pan. Add the onion, garlic and ginger. Fry until the onion is soft. Add the tofu and fry until heated through. Add the teriyaki sauce and simmer for 3-5 minutes. Add the cashews, turn the heat off, cover and let sit for 5 minutes. Pour over the noodles and serve immediately.

Broccoli Phad Thai - Thailand

125g broccoli florets

8 shallots, peeled

1 garlic clove, peeled

2.5cm root garlic, peeled

2 tbsp sweet soy sauce

1 tsp rice vinegar

225g rice noodles

2 tbsp sunflower oil

25g bean sprouts

25g dry-roasted peanuts, chopped

1 dried red chilli, seeded and finely chopped

2 tbsp lemon juice

1 tbsp light soy sauce

1 tbsp smooth peanut butter

1 tbsp caster sugar

basil leaves

Soak the noodles according to packet instructions. Drain, rinse under cold running water and set aside.

Place the chilli in a small pan. Add the lemon juice, light soy sauce, peanut butter and sugar. Stir over a gentle heat until the sugar is dissolved. Keep warm.

Heat the oil in a wok or a large frying pan. Add the broccoli, shallots, garlic and ginger. Stir-fry quickly until the shallots are browned. Stir in the noodles. Stir-fry for 2 minutes. Add the vinegar, stir well and remove from the heat.

Stir in the bean sprouts and sauce. Divide between warmed serving plates. Sprinkle with the peanuts and basil. Serve immediately.

#3 ·
One of my favs:

Dan Dan Noodles

4oz thin rice noodles or 6 oz spaghettini or Japanese soba noodles or angel hair pasta

1 1/2 cups hot vegetarian broth

2 tbsp peanut butter

Sauce:

1 tbsp oil

1 medium onion, chopped

4 dried Chinese black mushrooms, soaked in hot water for 20 minutes,

stems discarded and sliced

2 cloves garlic, minced

optional: 1 tbsp chopped Sichuan pickled vegetables

1/3 cup soy protein granules soaked in 1/4 cup boiling water or 1/2 cup vegetarian hamburger crumbles

1 tbsp light soy sauce

1 tbsp brown bean paste or light miso

1 tbsp chili garlic paste

1/2 tbsp cornstarch mixed with 2 tbsp cold water

2 tbsp chopped green onion

1 tbsp roasted sesame oil

Boil the noodles in plenty of water according to packet instructions. Drain in a colander.

Mix the hot broth with the peanut butter. Keep warm.

Heat a wok or heavy skillet over high heat. When it's hot, add the oil. When the oil is hot add the onion, mushrooms and garlic and the pickled vegetables, if using. Stir-fry until the onions soften, adding a bit of water as necessary to prevent scorching. Add the textured soy protein, soy sauce, brown bean paste and chili paste. When it bubbles, stir in the cornstarch mixture and stir until thickened. Remove from heat.

Run hot water over the noodles, drain, and divide them between 2 heated soup bowls. Heat the broth if necessary and pour over the noodles. Divide the sauce evenly between the two bowls, top with the chopped green onions and drizzle with the sesame oil. Serve immediately.

------------------------------------------

This is different:

Hawaiian Papaya Stir Fry

4 tbsp soy sauce

4 tbsp lemon juice

2 tbsp sweet syrup (corn, golden, barley etc)

1 tbsp sesame oil

2 tbsp cornflour

1/2 tsp crushed dried chilli flakes

1 tbsp vegetable oil

2 large red peppers

2 large green peppers

12 spring onions

2 cloves garlic, crushed

1 large papaya, peeled and deseeded and cut into strips

50g salted roast cashews

3 tbsp chopped coriander

Whisk together the soy sauce, lemon juice, sweet syrup, sesame oil, cornflour and crushed chili. Set aside. Heat the oil in a wok or heavy frying pan. Stir fry the peppers until crisp and tender. Stir in the onion and garlic and cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Stir in the papaya and cashew nuts and heat through. re-whisk the soy sauce mixture, stir into the pan and cook until the mixture thickens. Remove from heat and stir in the fresh coriander. Serve with rice noodles.

--------------------------------------------

Laotian Hot Red Pepper Tempeh Stir Fry

230g tempeh

oil for shallow frying

2 tbsp sunflower oil

2 shallots, thinly sliced

3 garlic cloves, chopped

1 large red chilli, thinly sliced

1 red pepper, sliced

Sauce

1 tbsp Tamari

3 tbsp unrefined sugar

1 tbsp tamarind pulp or 1 tsp tamarind concentrate

2 tbsp water

rice noodles enough for 4 servings

fresh coriander, chopped

Cut the tempeh into thick matchsticks and shallow fry until crisp and golden. Drain on kitchen paper.

Make up the sauce by combining the ingredients in a bowl.

Heat the wok and add the oil. When it's hot, add the shallots and stir fry for a minute. Add the garlic and chilli and quickly stir-fry these, then add the red pepper and stir fry for a couple more minutes. Finally add the tempeh.

Stir the sauce into the stir fry and cook over high heat, tossing the tempeh mix until the sauce begins to caramelise and becomes glossy.

Place the noodles in a large bowl, cover with boiling water and leave to stand for 4 minutes. Drain.

Pile the noodles on plates, spoon on the stir fry and garnish with fresh chopped coriander.

-----------------------

Super easy:

Rice Noodles with Ginger and Snow Peas

8oz rice noodles or bean threads

1/2 to 3 tbsp oil

1 tbsp peeled, slivered ginger

3 cloves garlic, minced

3 stalks of green onion, sliced

1/2 cup shredded carrots

20 snow peas

pinch o salt

1/2 tsp sesame oil

some chilli oil

Prepare the noodles per directions. Heat the oil, sauté the ginger and garlic together until they start to get red. Add the green onions, carrots and snow peas. Cook stirring two minutes. Stir in the salt. Add the noodles and toss. Remove from the heat and stir in sesame and chilli oils, if you want. Really good with fried tofu, too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.