Can i put vitamin pills in smoothies - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 10-25-2009, 04:05 PM
Beginner

can i put vitamin pills in smoothies when i am blending. I cannot swallow pills and i need something that i can take in liquid form and most vitamins do not comes in liquid form
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 10-25-2009, 04:08 PM
Beginner

You could but it would probably taste awful. Floradix makes liquid vitamins, and you should be able to find some vegetarian childrens chewables at a health food store.

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
#3 Old 10-25-2009, 07:10 PM
Beginner

That would probably work. You could grind it up first in a mortar and pestle, if you wanted.
#4 Old 10-25-2009, 07:14 PM
Beginner

I've done it. Kind of grainy, even with the Vitamix, but not terrible. I dump calcium capsules in my smoothies fairly regularly.
#5 Old 10-25-2009, 07:18 PM
Covered in Waves

I just drink mine in Vitajuice, tastes delicious, digests quickly, instant energy. And, I don't get a whole bunch of pills wasting away in my colon when I die!

“Failing to fetch me at first, keep encouraged. Missing me one place, search another. I stop somewhere waiting for you.”
Walt Whitman, Song of Myself
#6 Old 10-25-2009, 07:31 PM
Beginner

I had a horrible time taking any kind of pill for many, many years. About two years ago I finally managed to surmount that, and I now believe it was a mental block, not a physical inability to swallow pills. I started with those little teeny tiny pills, that are a flat tablet about half the size of my pinkie fingernail. Once I was able to swallow those without much trouble, I was able to swallow actual pills. It still helps for me to swallow some water first, put the pill in my mouth, and then drink more water.

I sympathize! I do, I really do. I tried all the chopping and grinding and getting liquid medicines and all of that. Pills and tablets aren't meant to be ground up, though, so they usually taste absolutely retched. Best of luck with your struggle. I know it can be so frustrating to be unable to do something so simple that almost everyone can do.

Q: How many poets does it take to change a light bulb? A: 1001...one to change the bulb, 1000 to say it's already been done.
#7 Old 10-26-2009, 09:42 AM
Beginner

Perhaps peruse the shelves of your local natural food store and find some liquid supplements or drink powders with vitamins that are more suited to being added to smoothies. They will probably taste better, blend better, and be absorbed better by your digestive system.
#8 Old 10-26-2009, 05:38 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by GingerFoxx View Post

Perhaps peruse the shelves of your local natural food store and find some liquid supplements or drink powders with vitamins that are more suited to being added to smoothies. They will probably taste better, blend better, and be absorbed better by your digestive system.

Q: How many poets does it take to change a light bulb? A: 1001...one to change the bulb, 1000 to say it's already been done.
#9 Old 10-26-2009, 06:20 PM
Beginner

Why not just chew it and drink some water - and be an adult? :^P

Then you get to drink an unpolluted smoothie
#10 Old 10-26-2009, 06:35 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwnielsen View Post

Why not just chew it and drink some water - and be an adult? :^P

Then you get to drink an unpolluted smoothie

I think this is a little insensitive. It may be easy for you to swallow pills, but it is not a measure of a person's maturity if they find it harder than you do. There may be tasks you find difficult that I find easy, and you wouldn't appreciate it if I told you to "be an adult" and do as I do.

#11 Old 10-26-2009, 07:00 PM
Banned

doesn't strike me as a great idea. i'd get liquid vitamins or lie to my brain and tell it that there is no pill, just a skittle or a raisin that i forgot to chew, or something.
#12 Old 10-26-2009, 09:42 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylark View Post

I think this is a little insensitive. It may be easy for you to swallow pills, but it is not a measure of a person's maturity if they find it harder than you do. There may be tasks you find difficult that I find easy, and you wouldn't appreciate it if I told you to "be an adult" and do as I do.

I agree, that guy was a jerk. Oh, wait...
#13 Old 10-26-2009, 09:43 PM
Banned

Quote:

that told him.
#14 Old 10-27-2009, 02:21 AM
Beginner

Quote:

But he did have a point! If you can crush it and put it into a smoothie, then surely you can instead chew it and then swallow it - unless it's the taste that is the problem?

Some vitamin pills are designed to be swallowed whole though.

I no longer post here after the disagreements and exodus related to the sale of VB back in 2012. (See my profile page.) 
#15 Old 10-27-2009, 02:46 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by GingerFoxx View Post

I'd go this route. If you go to any juice bar, they add all kinds of powder supplements to smoothies. If you make smoothies anyway, you should consider adding a powder supplement to them to boost your nutrition. And the store employees will be happy to help you find just the right one.

If I'm out and about and realize I don't have time to stop and have a full lunch, I'll go to a juice bar and get a fruit smoothie with soy protein powder added. That will keep me going for the next couple of hours, at least.

*this space not for sale*

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page