I want to make Chick Fil A tofu - VeggieBoards

Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 09-30-2009, 06:59 AM

Any ideas? I miss Chick Fil A chicken nuggets. So how can I make something similar for an occasional treat? I've tried the frozen Morningstar, and they just aren't the same...plus, they aren't vegan, which I am transitioning to, so as soon as what I have in my freezer is gone, I am not buying anymore.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 09-30-2009, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Any ideas? I miss Chick Fil A chicken nuggets. So how can I make something similar for an occasional treat? I've tried the frozen Morningstar, and they just aren't the same...plus, they aren't vegan, which I am transitioning to, so as soon as what I have in my freezer is gone, I am not buying anymore.

*keeps an eye on this thread since she used to be a Chick Fil A chicken nugget junkie as well*

#3 Old 09-30-2009, 08:58 AM

I have no idea what Chick-Fil-A's are like - breaded or something?

#4 Old 09-30-2009, 09:31 AM

I think one of the things that makes them so good is the fact that they deep fry it in peanut oil. Perhaps if you get some Boca chicken nuggets ( they are vegan) and fry it with peanut oil it might do the trick. If nothing else it will get you one step closer.
#5 Old 09-30-2009, 10:14 AM
Banned

are there any nugget recipes in our recipe forum?
#6 Old 09-30-2009, 10:57 AM

I think for a chickeny and fatty texture you will probably want a product with both soy and gluten.
#7 Old 09-30-2009, 11:35 AM

(Mock) Chick-Fil-A Nuggets

Recipe By: Liz (adapted by Kellye off the cuff)

3 cups Peanut Oil

1 egg replacer

1 cup coconut/soymilk

1 cup soy flour -- or almond

2 1/2 teaspoons sugar

1/2 tsp pepper

2 tbsp salt

two packages extra firm tofu, cut into bite-sized pieces or a serving of seitan equivalent to two chicken breasts

1. Combine soymilk/coconut milk and egg replacer. Place nuggets in this mixture and refrigerate for at least an hour.

2. While the above is sitting, mix together the flour, sugar, salt and pepper.

3. When ready, dredge the nuggets in the flour mixture. (You can then put the chicken back into the non-dairy milk mixture and redredge in the flour).

4. Place the peanut oil in a deep fat fryer (or large pot) and heat to about 375 degrees. Place the nuggets in the oil once hot and cook til done (about 5-6 minutes).

5. Enjoy.

Makes 5-6 very large servings of nuggets.

Note: Chick Fil A uses a pressure cooker to make these and if you have one they will probably be really good and juicy. To use the pressure cooker, heat the peanut oil according to directions (about 400 degrees). Once steam starts shooting through, cook for about 4 minutes.

Maybe try this? I adapted it from a Chick Fil A nugget recipe knockoff. I'm going to try it myself and see if it turns out.

I think a key element is making sure that breading is similar.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page