Maple syrup vs. Pancake syrup - VeggieBoards - A Vegetarian Community
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 09-22-2009, 07:27 AM
Beginner

What's the difference? Is it worth the extra money? How long will each last for? Is maple syrup generally healthier? Is there a lower calorie version that doesn't take away from the health aspect (like adding aspartame... yuck)?

Also, what are some ideas (other than pancakes... dur) that I could use maple syrup/pancake syrup with? Right now I'm in college and really only have the convenience of a microwave and a blender, so if you can... get creative!!!

The reason I'm asking is because I want to try a smoothie recipe that uses soy milk, frozen banana, other frozen fruit, and maple syrup... also, do you think vanilla soy milk might work well with this recipe (right now that's all I've got on me...)?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 09-22-2009, 08:10 AM
Beginner

Maple Syrup is a natural product made from the sap of sugar maple trees. It's pretty sweet and you don't need to use a ton of it. It is entirely different than pancake syrup which is artificially flavored high fructose corn syrup. It's really yummy on oatmeal too, and that's a very microwave friendly food.

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
#3 Old 09-22-2009, 08:45 AM
Beginner

For a smoothie with lots of frozen fruit, you probably don't even need additional sweetener from maple syrup or otherwise. Rabid is right about the HFCS. Applesauce can be a great sweetener in many baked goods and non-sweet smoothies, but be careful, because most commercial applesauce contains boatloads of HFCS. Make your own from cooked apples and freeze it if you're not using it right away.

Q: How many poets does it take to change a light bulb? A: 1001...one to change the bulb, 1000 to say it's already been done.
#4 Old 09-22-2009, 08:45 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by skelly023 View Post

What's the difference? Is it worth the extra money? How long will each last for? Is maple syrup generally healthier? Is there a lower calorie version that doesn't take away from the health aspect (like adding aspartame... yuck)?

Also, what are some ideas (other than pancakes... dur) that I could use maple syrup/pancake syrup with? Right now I'm in college and really only have the convenience of a microwave and a blender, so if you can... get creative!!!

The reason I'm asking is because I want to try a smoothie recipe that uses soy milk, frozen banana, other frozen fruit, and maple syrup... also, do you think vanilla soy milk might work well with this recipe (right now that's all I've got on me...)?

Thanks!

You can keep pure maple syrup for about a year or so but you need to refrigerate it after opening the bottle. In fact, it doesn't hurt to refrigerate it even if it's unopened.

It's much healthier than the pancake syrup which, as rabid_child mentioned, is mostly high fructose corn syrup and usually artificial flavorings and coloring. I believe maple syrup is a source of potassium and calcium also.

You can use it to glaze veggies and tofu, add it to tea or coffee, use it to sweeten hot cereals, dip pieces of fruit in it, use it as a sweetener in pies, cakes, cookies. It's extremely versatile and there's probably a million ways to use it so that helps balance out the cost a bit.

And, yes, I think you can sub vanilla soy milk into that recipe.

Support your right to arm bears. ~Cleveland Amory
#5 Old 09-22-2009, 10:30 AM
Banned

I was doing my own thing quietly and YOU are the one who created this post trying to make a big deal out of it. Keep flaming the fire. That must be what you want.

#6 Old 09-22-2009, 11:11 AM
Beginner

I think maple syrup is best described as much more rich than the pancake syrup you can buy. It has more calories and fat (at least compared to the light pancake stuff) but you use less of it. Definitely give it a try.

I used to be a waffle addict and discovered that fresh fruit with a little margarine or whatever was a great & healthy substitute for syrup. As the others said, I doubt you'd need to add something as sweet as syrup to a smoothie that already had fruit in it.
#7 Old 09-22-2009, 12:43 PM
Beginner

I am born and raised in New England so I am always baffled by the people who don't know and understand that maple syrup is *very* different from pancake syrup. I wasn't aware that people couldn't know there was a difference the first time I found myself in that situation. Call me spoiled. Pancake syrup is corn syrup with artificial maple flavour. Maple syrup is maple tree sap that has been boiled down into a syrup. Mmmm... delightful stuff. Nothing compares....
#8 Old 09-22-2009, 12:46 PM
Kiz
Beginner

Good maple syrup is definitely worth the extra $$$$. Definitely.

Love the post? Why not buy the T-shirt!
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=categorie&cat=8
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=product&info=94
#9 Old 09-22-2009, 02:07 PM
Beginner

I don't understand the second "syrup" in "maple syrup vs syrup." The second one needs an adjective. I guess people thought you meant pancake/artifical syrup but I'm not so sure. Can you tell us?

I think maple syrup is okay if you want refined products like that. I'd prefer fruit for something sweet (and higher fiber and lower in calories, so better for you, if that's what you're looking for).
#10 Old 09-22-2009, 02:11 PM
Beginner

Yummy dessert:

Vanilla soy ice cream topped with sliced strawberries and granola... with a drizzle of maple syrup!

#11 Old 09-22-2009, 02:29 PM
Beginner

^YES, maple syrup on soy ice cream is fabulous! I also use maple syrup instead of honey in my homemade granola recipe. I use it on oatmeal as well, as someone else mentioned, and I use it in salad dressings like maple balsamic vinaigrette. YUM!

I've read that maple syrup is very high in antioxidants, but so is most fruit, so it's not worth eating a bunch of maple syrup just for the antioxidants.

The farmers' market here in Ottawa sells maple syrup for VERY cheap ($7.50 CAD for a 500 mL can!!), so I use it all the time. I'm definitely spoiled, since I know how expensive maple syrup can be in places that either don't harvest it nearby, or only sell it in glass bottles (those bottles are expensive, it's must cheaper by the can).
#12 Old 09-22-2009, 02:48 PM
Riot Nrrrd

Quote:
I think maple syrup is okay if you want refined products like that.

How to make maple syruo:

1) Collect sap from maple tree.

2) Boil sap to concentrate it.

Where's the 'highly refined' part? If anything more is being done it probably isn't worth buying.

Dave in MPLS / DISCLAIMER: I am not an actual rooster.
my blog - Vintage Veg
"It is better to light a candle than to curse the darkness"

#13 Old 09-22-2009, 02:57 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in MPLS View Post

How to make maple syruo:

1) Collect sap from maple tree.

2) Boil sap to concentrate it.

Where's the 'highly refined' part? If anything more is being done it probably isn't worth buying.

Anything with water content removed is refined, i.e., cooked foods have water content removed, so they are refined.
#14 Old 09-22-2009, 03:02 PM
Riot Nrrrd

Just never considered water an impurity.

Dave in MPLS / DISCLAIMER: I am not an actual rooster.
my blog - Vintage Veg
"It is better to light a candle than to curse the darkness"

#15 Old 09-22-2009, 03:08 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in MPLS View Post

Just never considered water an impurity.

The opposite - it's so vital that when you remove it, the resultant product or food or however you label it is "processed" or "refined." Maybe "processed" would be a better word. Many people use "refined" for something not in its original state nowadays.
#16 Old 09-22-2009, 03:13 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by penny79 View Post

Anything with water content removed is refined, i.e., cooked foods have water content removed, so they are refined.

So... like raisins and prunes and sundried tomatoes. All highly refined foods and should be avoided at all costs!!!11!!oneone!!

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
#17 Old 09-22-2009, 03:22 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabid_child View Post

So... like raisins and prunes and sundried tomatoes. All highly refined foods and should be avoided at all costs!!!11!!oneone!!

if that's what you say.

i'd at least drink plenty of water with it, but you'll still probably get gas or other digestion problems depending on how much you eat.
#18 Old 09-22-2009, 05:13 PM
Beginner

my toilet must be refined as it has water removed from it on a daily basis
#19 Old 09-22-2009, 05:17 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabid_child View Post

most definitely!!!!lol
#20 Old 09-22-2009, 05:24 PM
Beginner

I guess you're excited about this, with all of the exclamation marks and number 1s and 1 spelled out. Interesting!
#21 Old 09-22-2009, 05:44 PM
Beginner

i prefer maple syrup over the artificially flavored pancake syrups. not many of the pancake syrups even have real maple syrup in them.

but... i actually tend to prefer agave nectar instead of syrup. it's generally cheaper, too, i believe (but maybe not as easy to find).
#22 Old 09-22-2009, 05:57 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by cerealkiller View Post

but... i actually tend to prefer agave nectar instead of syrup. it's generally cheaper, too, i believe (but maybe not as easy to find).

I've been surprised at the stores I see agave at nowadays and some have about 10 different "flavors" of it.
#23 Old 09-22-2009, 06:06 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by penny79 View Post

I've been surprised at the stores I see agave at nowadays and some have about 10 different "flavors" of it.

wow... i think i've only ever seen maybe four different "flavors" tops!

i went out to wal-mart with my mom a few weeks ago and actually saw agave there. that was a shock to me.
#24 Old 09-22-2009, 06:12 PM
Beginner

It's cool for people who would normally use honey (assuming they live in a place where bees are used and bottled products are sold, etc., etc.) that agave is really out there as an option! Thumbs up.
#25 Old 09-22-2009, 07:05 PM
Beginner

I need to go out and buy agave nectar and maple syrup... I need to be more on top of things... *mumbles*
#26 Old 09-24-2009, 11:55 AM
Beginner

Maple syrup is easily worth the investment, also it fits better with various foods.
#27 Old 09-24-2009, 05:11 PM
Beginner

Quote:

It's really a matter of personal taste. I'm not personally a fan of maple syrup and will gladly take the fake pancake syrup over it. (Though I'm not a big fan of that either.) Real maple syrup is much stronger and has a very distinctive flavor.
#28 Old 09-24-2009, 05:28 PM
Beginner

Wow, so many responses. Thank you all for the input!

I'm thinking it'll be worth the try. This is what I love about being vegan so much... trying new flavors and really developing a stronger relationship and understanding with food. It can be so nice

Do they sell maple syrup in regular supermarkets?

And that ice cream idea sounds FANTASTIC

What is agave nectar?

Thank you all again!!
#29 Old 09-24-2009, 06:20 PM
Beginner

I love maple syrup. I live in Australia, so it's imported and a bit expensive (AU$9=US$13 or so) but I buy it as a treat sometimes. My two favourite things to do with it are stir some into a glass of soymilk and add a little nutmeg, and I make a dessert where I brown a chopped apple or banana in a pan with a tiny amount of vegan margarine, add some chopped almonds then pour some maple (it doesn't need much) in to caramelize a bit. It ends up being a bit crunchy and a bit chewy. If you want it creamier and more caramelly, stir some soy milk into the syrup before you put it in the pan. Sometimes I add a bit of cinnamon as well. It's a nice dessert, and not too carb-y so you don't feel sickly full after.

And to echo the others, I would def. recommend the real stuff. The fake syrup is gross and unhealthy.
#30 Old 09-24-2009, 06:33 PM
Beginner

Quote:

Wow, so many responses. Thank you all for the input!

I'm thinking it'll be worth the try. This is what I love about being vegan so much... trying new flavors and really developing a stronger relationship and understanding with food. It can be so nice

Do they sell maple syrup in regular supermarkets?

And that ice cream idea sounds FANTASTIC

What is agave nectar?

Thank you all again!!

real maple syrup should be available at any supermarket.

Agave nectar is usually found at the health food store, near the honeys. It's the sap of the blue agave plant (the source of tequila), and it's wonderfully yummy. there are several threads around here about it.

Nec Aspera Terrent

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page