Vegan doughnuts (MERGED) - VeggieBoards

Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 12-17-2003, 10:42 AM

I don't have a lot of success with yeast, but other vegans who made this recipe last year found it really good.

If you have other recipes for doughnuts, please post

3 cups flour

1 spoon yeast

1/2 tsp salt

2 spoons oil

3 spoons sugar

lukewarm water

mix it all in a boal to create dough.

let the dough swell up in a warm place, till it doubles its size (about an hour).

knead and let it double its size again.

make balls of dough and fry in deep oil. turn it over to make sure it gets brown from both sides.

after the doughnuts are done, inject jelly inside and spread icing sugar on top.

Happy and yummy hanukkah for all!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 12-17-2003, 12:05 PM

Here's a link to several donut recipes http://www.bryannaclarkgrogan.com/pa...4864.htm#part1

I haven't made any of these myself, but I have made many of Bryanna's recipes (elaborate to simple) and they've all turned out beautifullly, so I have no doubt that these donuts would be very yummy too.
#3 Old 12-17-2003, 10:12 PM

My mother-in-law's made the Heart Attack Chocolate Donuts from www.vegweb.com and they were so good. I'm getting hungry now.
#4 Old 12-18-2003, 01:51 PM

I have a *baked* doughnut recipe by Bryanna Clark Grogan that I used back in November. Turned out well. Let me know if you're interested.
#5 Old 12-18-2003, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PixieMagic View Post

I have a *baked* doughnut recipe by Bryanna Clark Grogan that I used back in October. Turned out well. Let me know if you're interested.

*letting you know I'm interested*

#6 Old 12-18-2003, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neta558 View Post

*letting you know I'm interested*

Okay then. I'll pm you the recipe.
#7 Old 12-18-2003, 02:52 PM

Here's another one. I haven't tried this one, though. http://www.vegsource.com/talk/recipe...ges/82857.html

I've pm'ed you Bryanna's recipe, so I hope that helps.
#8 Old 12-18-2003, 02:53 PM

Oooh! Me too! Me too! *jumps up and down like a two year old*

~Mollie~
#9 Old 12-18-2003, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OConfusedOne View Post

Oooh! Me too! Me too! *jumps up and down like a two year old*

~Mollie~

, Mollie. I finally found the link to the original post for the recipe I tried, so here it is.

http://www.vegsource.com/talk/beginn...es/138019.html
#10 Old 12-18-2003, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by punkmommy View Post

My mother-in-law's made the Heart Attack Chocolate Donuts from www.vegweb.com and they were so good. I'm getting hungry now.

hey! that was submitted by me, so many years ago. funny!
#11 Old 12-18-2003, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreeli View Post

hey! that was submitted by me, so many years ago. funny!

Are you serious!!! We stay at my in-laws Christmas eve night, so Christmas morning my MIL makes something yummy and I think it was the x-mas I wsa pregnant she made those donuts. I haven't had them since, but I fantisize about them.
#12 Old 12-19-2003, 03:58 PM

does anyone have glazed doughnut recipes that they have tried with great results? let me know!
#13 Old 12-19-2003, 04:29 PM

Hey, what kind of jelly do you use for jelly donuts? It always seems very gooey and um.. special, when I get commercial ones. Will regular preserves work?
#14 Old 12-19-2003, 10:22 PM

its not quite a donut, but it is fried.. and it is for hannukah.. and i thought it looked good, so i thought.. i'd post it! it was from cooking.com.. looks like it could be easily veganized, too.

Squash Fritters

1 butternut squash or pumpkin, about 1-1/4 pounds

2 cups milk, or as needed

1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, or as needed

2 teaspoons baking soda dissolved in 2 teaspoons water

2 eggs

Pinch of Salt

2/3 cup granulated sugar, or to taste

Grated zest of 1 or 2 oranges

1/2 cup candied citron, cut into small dice

1/3 cup golden raisins

1/2 cup pine nuts, toasted

Peanut oil for deep-frying

Confectioner's sugar for topping

Halve the squash or pumpkin, scoop out and discard the seeds and fibers, peel, and cut into 1/2-inch dice. You should have 3 to 3-1/2 cups. Place in a saucepan, add milk to cover, and place over medium heat. Bring to a simmer and cook until the squash breaks down into a smoother puree, about 30 minutes. Don't worry if the mixture looks curdled; it will smooth out.

Stir in the 1-1/2 cups flour and continue to stir until the mixture is thick, about 5 minutes, adding more flour as needed to bind. Beat in the dissolved baking soda, and then the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add the salt, granulated sugar, orange zest, citron, raisins, and pine nuts. Remove from heat. Let stand for about 15 minutes until most of the moisture has been absorbed.

Pour oil to a depth of 3 inches in a deep frying pan or wok and heat to 375 degrees F. In batches, drop the batter by small (1 inch diameter) teaspoonfuls into the hot oil. (These should not be too large or the center will not cook.) Fry until golden, 3 to 5 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer to paper towels to drain briefly. Keep warm until all the fritters are cooked.

Arrange the fritters on a platter and sift a heavy dusting of confectioner's sugar over the top. Eat while hot or very warm.
#15 Old 12-20-2003, 01:57 PM

oh we made these last year at xmas time and i couldn't get enough of them! mmmmmmmmmmmm mmmmmmmmmmmmm mmmmmmmmmmmmm

vegan jam filled donuts (berliner)

preparation time: 45 min

on the stove: 30 min

serves: 2 - 4 people(makes about 15-20)

ingredients

500g plain flour

40g fresh yeast

250ml warm soymilk

50g sugar

2 tbsp oil

2 tbsp soy flour mixed with 4 tbsp water

pinch of salt

250g favourite marmelade/jam

125g powdered sugar (icing sugar)

and to fry:

1ltr vegetable oil

preparation

1.heat up the soymilk and add yeast and sugar and stir until it's dissolved. but! the milk should only be lukewarm or else the yeast will be killed!

2. now take a bowl and put in half of the flour, then add the soymilk mixture and mix. put this, covered with a wet towel, in a just warm oven and leave it for 15min.

3. when finished, add the other ingredients, mix again and put back in the oven for another 30min.

4. now knead the dough again adding some extra flour so it doesn't stick to your hands or the surface. roll the dough out to 2cm thick and then use a glass to cut out the donuts.

5. now for the tricky part: you have to get the filling into the donuts before you deep fry them, that means taking the cut out dough into your hand and making it a little bigger (about the size of your palm but not so big that it breaks), and then placing a teaspoon of marmelade in the middle. then close the dough over it and make sure that the marmelade can't get out and the donut is in the round shape that you are after...

6. now heat up the oil to about 175°C, which is not really hot, because the donuts should cook in the oil for 2-3min each side and they shouldn't get too brown! place them in the oil (hot oil can be painful, so watch out!) and fry. they should grow in size and when they get slighty brown turn them over, when you take them out, let the oil drip off them and immediately put the powdered sugar over them and let cool. voila!

http://www.rootsofcompassion.org/bet...berliner.shtml
#16 Old 12-06-2004, 09:29 PM

::bump::

From last year. I'm gonna make some jelly donuts.
#17 Old 12-09-2004, 08:52 PM
Pip

There is only one thing I truely miss as a strict veggie. Donuts. Especially the soft, glazed Krispy Kremes and Dunkin Donuts. Alas, there is whey in the icing. I've tried some vegan doughnuts and haven't been too thrilled with them. I want something deep fried and bad for me.

I'm considering pulling a Homer Simpson and selling my soul for a donut.

Or, I could make them from scratch, since I have a deep fryer. Mmmmm.

Does anyone have donut recipes?
#18 Old 12-09-2004, 09:06 PM

Scroll down the page... There's a donut recipe thread already.
#19 Old 12-09-2004, 09:06 PM

::bump again:: for the donut kid.
#20 Old 12-09-2004, 09:37 PM

how about the cake doughnuts from little debbie? they are vegan and fatty.
#21 Old 12-09-2004, 10:11 PM

I made doughnuts the other day, boston creme doughnuts. They were amazingly good, and I made them completely vegan and all natural. I got the basic recipe out of "Sinfully Vegan", I think it's called, a big cookbook of vegan dessert recipes, but I tweaked it. A lot. I think I made it more fattening. But overall, they turned out great, and weren't too hard to make, after I fixed everything in the recipe that wasn't working with me.
#22 Old 12-10-2004, 02:12 AM

Merging this with the other donut thread.
#23 Old 12-10-2004, 03:22 AM

Drooling all over my keyboard.
#24 Old 12-10-2004, 08:35 AM
Pip

Oh, I don't know how I missed the other donut thread. I didn't look thoroughly enough.

Anyway, thanks. These all look very good. I didn't know there was a donut recipe in "Sinfully Vegan". This makes me happy.I'm hoping to get that for Christmas.

eta: Little Debbie Cake Donuts are vegan??? *runs out to the supermarket*
#25 Old 12-10-2004, 09:23 AM

I tried to make donuts today for hanukah, but it was a big mess

It came out hard and didn't taste good at all. I don't know what I do wrong, it was also like this last year.

No donuts for me
#26 Old 12-10-2004, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pip View Post

eta: Little Debbie Cake Donuts are vegan??? *runs out to the supermarket*

If anyone knows, please let me know if they have artificial flavors/colors/hydrogenated oil/vegan sugar?
#27 Old 12-10-2004, 09:51 AM

I usually just veganize a regular yeast donut receipe which always turns out good. But I have yet to find a really good cake donut. Anybody know of one?
#28 Old 12-10-2004, 12:38 PM

twice now i've been able to go to "Mighty O Donuts" in Seattle...an all-vegan donut shop with about a billion different flavours. okay, that was an exaggeration. but i think that they are starting to open some franchises and distribute their donuts to HFSs for selling, too. keep your eyes open!
#29 Old 12-10-2004, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxy View Post

If anyone knows, please let me know if they have artificial flavors/colors/hydrogenated oil/vegan sugar?

Yes on the hydrogenated oil. More info here:

http://www.findarticles.com/p/articl...23/ai_n6344912

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page