How do you make your own fake beef broth? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 08-16-2009, 10:43 AM
Beginner

I didn't see any fake beef broth at my local store yesterday and want to make a dish tonight that calls for it. It is for a fake filet mignon.

Anyone have any idea how to create my own?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-16-2009, 10:49 AM
Beginner

I sometimes use diluted Braggs Liquid Aminos, dried minced onion & garlic powder. It's nice if you carmelize real onions in a pan first....mushrooms are a nice addition too.
#3 Old 08-16-2009, 11:15 AM
Beginner

I also use carmelized onions (lots of them) in places of recipes that call specifically for a broth that made with oxtail, which gives the broth a pretty rich and sweet taste. It worked pretty well for me.
#4 Old 08-16-2009, 12:51 PM
Beginner

Thanks to all. I haven't ever used the Aminos I am going to give the onions a try and Worcestershire for a kick of course plenty of garlic

Thank you!
#5 Old 08-16-2009, 01:44 PM
Beginner

I usually use Better than Bouillon, No Beef. Sometimes, I use a bouillon powder or Marmite instead.

http://www.ourveggiekitchen.com
#6 Old 08-16-2009, 06:53 PM
Banned

i'd go with marmite. tragically its probably not easy to get that in some places either though.
#7 Old 08-16-2009, 08:45 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoodedclawjen View Post

i'd go with marmite. tragically its probably not easy to get that in some places either though.

It is in Fred Meyer which is owned by kroger. BUT for some unexplainable reason, it's over by the almond paste and tubes of icing.

I am NOT about to tell them what it really is for fear they'll upcharge it by another $5 and move it to the "foreign foods" section. Or worse, decide that Bovoril is fine enough and discontinue the stuff completely.

If you have a Kroger-owned store near you, check over by the baking goods section, but look c-a-r-e-f-u-l-l-y because the jar is pretty hard to spot (in my store, it's almost at the bottom - maybe 1 or 2 shelves up but no higher than that).

Also, regular Worcestershire sauce has anchovies in it, but the Kroger store brand doesn't.
#8 Old 08-16-2009, 08:52 PM
Beginner

I used a bullion cube called "Not Beef" by Edwards and Sons - I get it at Kroger. It is vegan and very good.
#9 Old 08-16-2009, 08:54 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4EverGrounded View Post

It is in Fred Meyer which is owned by kroger. BUT for some unexplainable reason, it's over by the almond paste and tubes of icing.

marmitey cake-frosting goodness.
#10 Old 08-16-2009, 09:14 PM
Beginner

Yep. There just is no end to the many uses of Marmite.
#11 Old 08-16-2009, 10:54 PM
Beginner

I make mushroom stock to use in place of beef broth. I fill a pot with a few litres of water, two bags of dried mushrooms (variety mix), a bay leaf and some pepper. Bring to a boil, simmer about 30 minutes, strain, and cool. It's very hearty.
#12 Old 08-16-2009, 11:22 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveallanimals View Post

Thanks to all. I haven't ever used the Aminos I am going to give the onions a try and Worcestershire for a kick of course plenty of garlic

Thank you!

I'm sure you know this, but most Worcestershire sauces are not vegetarian. Just in case you didn't know, wanted to give you the heads up

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page