Vegan Necessities? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 07-29-2009, 10:43 AM
Beginner

Hey guys and gals:

I am new at veganism and I was wondering:

What are some things all vegans must have for cooking? I know tofu is one (for protein) and lentils and beans, but what are some others. From spices, to common ingredients? ANYTHING you can think of. It would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

ÂBecause the heart beats under a covering of hair, of fur, feathers, or wings, it is, for that reason, to be of no account? - Jean Paul Richter
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-29-2009, 10:53 AM
Beginner

You don't have to eat tofu if you don't like it.

I usually have a cupboard filled with red lentils, wholemeal (egg free) pasta, rice, brown rice is the most nutritious, cans of beans of all kinds including baked beans, flour if I want to make a vegan cake or bread, olive oil and sesame oil. In my fridge I usually have tofu, soya or rice milk, vegan margarine, vegetables and salad vegetables. I always have a jar of vegan mayo. I buy fake meat like hot dogs and burgers and sausages too and sometimes vegan ice cream. Of course lots of fresh fruit and vegetables as well. If you can get a spice rack in your kitchen that is helpful as you can make Chinese or Indian dishes yourself without having to order take aways.
#3 Old 07-29-2009, 11:32 AM
Beginner

I now prefer tempeh to tofu. I think tofu is useful for baking, but I like the texture of tempeh better. =0) So maybe give that a try.

I also just gave nutritional yeast a try which I will be stocking up on.

The basics I always have in stock tend to be:

Vegetable broth bouillon cubes

Raw sugar

Flour

Something for egg replacer (usually unsweetened applesauce)

Frozen veggies

Canned tomatoes

Whole wheat pasta and rice

Whole wheat bread

Some type of milk replacement (I like soy, but enjoy switching it up).

Vegan protein powder (I like hemp)

Tempeh

And too many spices to name :P

Pinterest: AquaLoveBird
#4 Old 07-29-2009, 12:17 PM
Ankle Biter

I keep a lot of food around. I feed three people nearly everyday and often at least five on the weekends.

I use canola oil and olive oils for sauteeing, roasting and for oiling pans. I also have walnut oil, sesame oil and peanut oil for various dishes. I love vinegars in all flavors, but probably use balsamic the most. Rice vinegar is often called for in Asian recipes. (You do need to have some basic white vinegar and baking powder for baking.) Tamari or soy sauce is good to have on hand.

I always have Vegenaise and spicy dijon mustard in the fridge. I love interesting nut butters - almond is my favorite, but I enjoy cashew and soy nut butters, too. There are some very fancy vegan peanut butters at places like Whole foods, but I'm afraid I will become addicted!

Staples in the freezer - Food for Life breads - Bran for life, hamburger buns and English muffins. That way you are never out of vegan bread. I also always have various frozen veggies, frozen fruits, frozen French fries, and a selection of veggie burgers and chick*n patties. Also Earth Balance and EB shortening. And So Delicious non-dairy ice cream.

In the pantry I have canned and dried beans (mostly black and garbanzo), boxes of veggie broth, jars of marinara and plenty of whole wheat pasta and Asian noodles. I also keep a box or two of shelf stable soy milk and rice milk. I have cereal, oatmeal and Triscuits or Pita chips. I usually have a jar of salsa and some unusual jam or jelly. I have flour, whole wheat pastry flour, organic sugar, maple syrup, cocoa, raisins, and bags of walnuts, pecans and almonds. I keep my baking soda and my baking powder fresh. At the moment I have three bags of vegan chocolate chips. I think I need to get rid of at least one of those - they're probably getting old.

must have spices - cinnamon, nutmeg, thyme, cumin, cayenne, sea salt, bay leaves, basil, oregano and dill. Others are nice, but these are the ones I use the most.

My fridge always has bread, tortillas and bagels, smart life baked "ham", tofurky, baked tofu, Better Than Cream Cheese, Better then Sour Cream, lettuce, tomatos, a garlic head, a couple of onions and often fresh fruits and veggies. I also keep soy milk, soy creamer, rice milk, juice, wine and beer.

At any time, I can easily make bean burritos, spaghetti with marinara, veggie burgers and fries, a "ham" sandwich or wrap, bagels and cream cheese, and Asian noodles with peanut sauce and veggies. I could probably make vegetable soup at the drop of a hat.

That's a lot of food - and I know I'm forgetting stuff. But having a well-stocked pantry is important when you dont' want to have to eat out too often in this non-vegan world!!!

It is our choices that show what we truly are far more than our abilities. ~A. Dumbledore
#5 Old 07-29-2009, 12:25 PM
Beginner

I've recently turned vegan as well (3 weeks) and here is what I have:

Basic Veggies

-Broccoli

-Cauliflower

-Carrots

-mixed greens

-Romaine lettuce

-onions/garlic/green pepper

Fridge

Plain soy milk

Vegan butter

Homemade vegan mayonnaise

Homemade vegan tzatziki dip

1 pkg tofu

Cupboards

-Whole wheat flour (I make my own quick breads instead of buying bread)

-Vital Wheat Gluten (to make seitan)

-Nutritional yeast

-Dried chickpeas beans

-Long grain brown rice

-Pasta

-Polenta

-coconut water

-canned beans/corn/tomatoes

-ground flaxseeds

-baking basics

-sunflower seeds / pumpkin seeds /hemp seeds/sesame seeds

-cocoa powder / carob chips for sweet treats (Yum!)

-Steel cut oats

Cant think of anything else atm. If I ever want anything, I attempt to make it all myself from scratch, put away extra's and use leftovers with other dishes.
#6 Old 07-29-2009, 12:30 PM
Beginner

I've recently turned vegan as well (3 weeks) and here is what I have:

Basic Veggies

-Broccoli

-Cauliflower

-Carrots

-mixed greens

-Romaine lettuce

-onions/garlic/green pepper

-Potatoes

Fridge

Plain soy milk

Vegan butter

Homemade vegan mayonnaise

Homemade vegan tzatziki dip

1 pkg tofu

Fresh coconut meat (yum!)

Fresh watermelon

Freezer

Extra tofu

Veggie burgers (I save them for when other people are BBQ'ing burgers.. so I can "eat with them"

leftover seitan

extra fruits I cant eat in time

Cupboards

-Whole wheat flour (I make my own quick breads instead of buying bread)

-Vital Wheat Gluten (to make seitan)

-Nutritional yeast

-Dried chickpeas beans

-Long grain brown rice

-Pasta

-Polenta

-coconut water

-canned beans/corn/tomatoes

-ground flaxseeds

-baking basics

-sunflower seeds / pumpkin seeds /hemp seeds/sesame seeds

-cocoa powder / carob chips for sweet treats (Yum!)

-Steel cut oats

Cant think of anything else atm. If I ever want anything, I attempt to make it all myself from scratch, put away extra's and use leftovers with other dishes.

I make my own mayo, tomato sauces, breads, cookies, cakes, muffins, dips, pizza's, pie's, salsa, potato chips, I plan on making my own rice milk, coconut oil (good for skin) I make my own seitan from wheat gluten.

I'm always looking for things I can make from scratch.
#7 Old 07-29-2009, 05:12 PM
Beginner

Thanks guys! I love spices! so I am stalking up

I noticed lemon juice seems to be in a lot of "homemade cheese" recipes and other things.

Do you guys have Starter recipes, I can have, if you don't mind? I got whole wheat flour the other day and yeast today (not sure what the difference between yeast and nutritional yeast is). I am a good cook but I feel like I am learning to do so all over again! Vegan mayo and other things would be helpful!

I really want to keep this up! Its like an adventure!

ÂBecause the heart beats under a covering of hair, of fur, feathers, or wings, it is, for that reason, to be of no account? - Jean Paul Richter
#8 Old 07-31-2009, 01:12 PM
Beginner

What I do is buy the staples in bulk once a month: grains (pasta, rice, quinoa, flour), tins (tomatoes, soups, beans), dried beans, dried fruit, dried seaweed, dried mushrooms, any herbs and spices, tetra-packed tofu and oat milk. Then each week I go out and buy vegetables, always including different ones, and relying on leafy greens for the bulk, because they're nutrient packed, and I also buy perishables like fresh tofu, ice-cream, any other dairy substitutes. I do it this way because I don 't have a car, so carrying a week's worth of tins, milk and dried beans can be a bit heavy for my arms. Anyway, by stocking up on the bulk list above, I can make nearly anything I want. And, if for some reason I can't get out of the house or have no time to shop, there's always food ready in tins.
#9 Old 07-31-2009, 01:32 PM
Beginner

Some ingredients I use for baking: Ener-G egg replacer, baking soda, vegetable oil, Silk or Rice Dream milk, flour, unrefined sugar, cinnamon, berries (for muffins), yeast.
#10 Old 07-31-2009, 01:49 PM
Beginner

I always have bananas (ripening and maybe some in the freezer), cherries/blueberries/and-or/strawberries, oranges, spinach, kale, maybe some non-sweet fruits like cucumber, celery, parsley, cilantro.
#11 Old 07-31-2009, 03:48 PM
Beginner

Seiten is another good protein source.
#12 Old 08-03-2009, 11:31 AM
Beginner

i'm about 95% raw vegan, so no tofu and very little processed stuff for me.

all fruits and veggies

rice

beans

nuts

nutbutters

lentils

legumes

dried fruit

homemade salsa

homemade rice and nut milks

rice cakes

cream of rice(sometimes homemade-sometimes storebought)

cocoa powder

spices

vinegar

olive oil

kitchen gadgets

blender

food processor

dehydrator (next on my list to get)

steamer
#13 Old 05-19-2010, 05:39 PM
Beginner

my favorite spices are curry powder, cumin & coriander.

they're all very middle eastern & deliciousss.

i get my protein from tofu, seitan, tempeh, beans, and peanut butter.

i also eat lots of fresh fruits & vegetables daily.

favorite grains will always be oatmeal & rice =]

hope this helped!

ohhh & i LOVE soymilk =]
#14 Old 05-20-2010, 06:44 PM
Beginner

Braggs amino acids (like it better than soy sauce or tamari)

Canned beans, just in case

dried garbanzos, black beans, white beans, lentils

chopped chilis and tomatos - canned

salsa, fat free refried beans

grains-- esp. quinoa and whole grain pasta

frozen fruit for smoothies (out of season) reduced price bananas in freezer

tofu

light chocolate Silk soymilk, almond milk

plain soymilk in aeseptic container

garlic, onions,

raw cashews

olive oil mister and cruet

ninja food prep
#15 Old 05-20-2010, 06:53 PM
Beginner

Why stock up on food you might never use? I would suggest shopping for specific recipes you want to try.
#16 Old 05-20-2010, 06:59 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by delicious View Post

Why stock up on food you might never use? I would suggest shopping for specific recipes you want to try.

I remember why--because when I first started veg**n there were so many times I got totally lost for things to eat. Fat free refried beans and salsa on tortillas were a staple. So was pb and j. and celery and hummus. and bean soups. I remember being hungry a lot

Check the forum on food "what did you eat today"

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page