what should be the very first seitan recipe I try? - VeggieBoards - A Vegetarian Community
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 07-13-2009, 03:30 AM
Beginner

Yay! I just received my flourbin order and for the first time ever I am in posession of vital wheat gluten. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions of what should be the very first seitan recipe I try to follow?

I'm reasonably competent at cooking (some of the time). I have a good-ish selection of herbs and spices and etc, but I would rather have a recipe without more difficult-to-find ingredients (especially nutritional yeast). Also, I can buy chunks of seitan ('mock duck') cheaply near me so I would rather make something a bit different than just chunks-to-add-to-sauce or whatever. Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-13-2009, 04:28 AM
Beginner

You could try the chickpea cutlets (Veganomicon) or you can make some kind of Wiener Schnitzel.
#3 Old 07-13-2009, 05:00 AM
Beginner

I recommend baked or steamed seitan. There are a few recipes around, you can always change/adjust seasonings, and just follow the basic recipe.

Here's a few of the ones I've tried:

Seitan O' Greatness

Veggeroni

Italian Sausages
#4 Old 07-13-2009, 05:13 AM
Beginner

thanks guys. Mazikeen, the first link you posted seems pretty easy for a first try, I think I'll go for that thanks
#5 Old 07-13-2009, 05:27 AM
Banned

I was doing my own thing quietly and YOU are the one who created this post trying to make a big deal out of it. Keep flaming the fire. That must be what you want.

#6 Old 07-13-2009, 05:45 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepydvdr View Post

Isowish: use very heavy tin foil and a lot of it. Baking seitan as in the first recipe ends up being under great pressure. I had one explode and blowing open the oven door because I didn't wrap it with heavy duty aluminum. If you don't cook it under heavy pressure, it can become fluffy (like bread) and not very good.

This was how I learned how to make seitan:

http://megatarian.blogspot.com/2008/...an-how-to.html

well, it's already in the oven now, so like ... can I just wrap more tin foil round it and hope for the best?
#7 Old 07-13-2009, 05:50 AM
Beginner

ooh, if I had cheesecloth in my house, the cheesecloth method looks AMAZING. I should have known to go to Megan's blog right off the bat She is a seitan genius. Hopefully for a seitan adventure yet to come
#8 Old 07-13-2009, 09:04 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by isowish View Post

ooh, if I had cheesecloth in my house, the cheesecloth method looks AMAZING. I should have known to go to Megan's blog right off the bat She is a seitan genius. Hopefully for a seitan adventure yet to come

Aw shucks

Seitan O' Greatness is a good cooking method, though I don't like it spiced according to the recipe.

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
#9 Old 07-13-2009, 09:49 AM
Beginner

My first attempt at seitan was the boiling method. Was not happy with the spongy texture. I will try the baked method next. I have eaten it several times in New York and loved it. Hopefully I will find a good solution.
#10 Old 07-13-2009, 11:12 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetiebugsmom View Post

My first attempt at seitan was the boiling method. Was not happy with the spongy texture. I will try the baked method next. I have eaten it several times in New York and loved it. Hopefully I will find a good solution.

Try cooking it in a crockpot. I tried to simmer seitan over the stove before and it never came out right. Now I just dump my "steaks" in the crockpot for 3-4 hours on high and the texture is always perfect.
#11 Old 07-13-2009, 11:34 AM
Banned

I was doing my own thing quietly and YOU are the one who created this post trying to make a big deal out of it. Keep flaming the fire. That must be what you want.

#12 Old 07-13-2009, 09:30 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malcontent View Post

Try cooking it in a crockpot. I tried to simmer seitan over the stove before and it never came out right. Now I just dump my "steaks" in the crockpot for 3-4 hours on high and the texture is always perfect.

I LOVE my "crock-pot seitan"!! That's my favorite way! (I admit I'm not a HUGE fan of the "foil-wrapped" method. I will make it that way sometimes, but usually I like mine a little less firm.)
#13 Old 07-16-2009, 03:23 PM
Beginner

So, what happened? How did it turn out?!? Inquiring minds want to know...
#14 Old 07-16-2009, 03:30 PM
Beginner

well I screwed up the seasoning a little bit I think, but overall the texture was alright, nothing exploded, and I'm fairly happy for a first go Gonna try the crockpot method next I think

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page