Forum Jump: 
 4Likes
  • 1 Post By soyboat_soyboat
  • 1 Post By Werewolf Girl
  • 1 Post By silva
  • 1 Post By Tom

#1 Old 09-25-2017, 12:07 PM

Talking Hi all! "Flexitegan" here.

Hey guys! I'm a scientist and an outdoorsy girl living in the big city, who has been in and out of the veggie lifestyle for YEARS. The first time I did it, I went vegetarian and I only stuck with it for about a year before I stopped because I didn't feel well. After a year-long break I did it again, for another year, going almost vegan that time, and gave up eventually for the same reasons. This is my third time. I'm hoping that allowing myself the flexibility of having animal products occasionally (aiming for <2x weekly), at least at first, will help me adhere a bit better to the plant-based life. As for going vegetarian as a "stepping stone": I'd prefer to eat chicken over dairy, and I'd put chicken and eggs on the same level of preference since both industries have pretty abhorrent practices. In any case, I rarely eat any of the above, and don't keep any of the above at home.

Curious if anyone else does something similar, if there are any other previously-lapsed-vegans in here, and if anyone wants to be my friend! Still trying to troubleshoot what went wrong with my diet the last time; I'm cooking way more often and a greater variety this time, so hopefully that's the key? Maybe I need an iron supplement? I used to think veganism/mostly-veganism just didn't agree with me physically but I'm hoping that's not the case. Anyways, hello fellow earth-lovers!
Werewolf Girl likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 09-25-2017, 02:16 PM
Super Moderator

Welcome to Veggieboards!

It took me many tries to go vegetarian and then years later it took me many tries to go vegan, I'm definitely not the kind of person who can go 'cold tofurky'

I find it works best to just take things one day at a time and one meal at time, look at every veg meal as a success and if you slip up just keep going. As you experiment with different foods you'll find what works best for you and it will get easier and easier every day.

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
#3 Old 09-25-2017, 03:53 PM
Super Moderator

I had been vegetarian/vegan on and off since my teens- then made my final transition in my 40's. It wasn't due to not feeling well, but more from societal pressures and uncertainty.

As for things like deficiencies you really should get regular bloodwork. You can just donate blood for iron levels! I was frequently iron deficient as a meat eater but acknowledging it as a vegan I tried harder. I almost always cook in cast iron, keep caffeine from iron meals, combine with vitamin C. I have been consistently in the midrange of good iron levels since.

It's not hard to eat a balanced diet as a veg'n once you get a good grip on your typical meals. I think that was hardest for me going vegan.

I would suggest you track your diet on a free site like cronometer.com or sparkpeople.com

Thing is, it's not like you can be deficient in meat. Has your weight stayed normal? For many it's not enough calories.

Welcome!
Mr. H. likes this.

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good

#4 Old 09-25-2017, 04:07 PM
Tom
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by soyboat_soyboat View Post
.....Curious if anyone else does something similar, if there are any other previously-lapsed-vegans in here, and if anyone wants to be my friend! Still trying to troubleshoot what went wrong with my diet the last time; I'm cooking way more often and a greater variety this time, so hopefully that's the key? Maybe I need an iron supplement? I used to think veganism/mostly-veganism just didn't agree with me physically but I'm hoping that's not the case. Anyways, hello fellow earth-lovers!
I didn't have problems with lapses, but my transformation went VERY slowly and I'm still not vegan yet (mostly because of using non-food items which I see as 'by-products' and not the primary reason an animal was exploited: leather shoes, for example). When I was 16 I dropped meat; 4 years later I stopped eating fish, primarily because my family had aquarium fish; and MUCH later I finally became aware of the animal-treatment issues involved with milk and egg production. Cutting egg and milk out of my diet has gone more slowly, and I wish the vegans had gotten through to me sooner (and/or I had pushed myself harder).

Welcome to Veggieboards!

EDITED TO ADD: I'm not sure why you had problems initially, but more power to you for giving veg*nism another shot. Eating out is a lot easier for us now- even veganism is better known than it formerly was. I like to get cookbooks out of the library now and then, gleaning what vegan recipes I can find. Sometimes even non-vegetarian books have a few good ideas for veg*ns.
Mr. H. likes this.

Peasant (1963-1972) and Fluffy (1970s?-1982- I think of you as 'Ambrose' now)- Your spirits outshone some humans I have known. Be happy forever.

Last edited by Tom; 09-25-2017 at 04:13 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page