7Likes
  • 3 Post By Rae8
  • 1 Post By David3
  • 1 Post By nitratedtofu
  • 2 Post By David3

#1 Old 09-21-2017, 05:37 PM

Hi All! Excited about new 0 fat vegan diet

Hi all:
I'm glad to find this forum. I am hoping to find other members who are doing the no fat/low fat diet described by Caldwell B. Esselstyn Jr. & described in the China Study. I'm on week 4 and loving it. I tried it before but because my husband was not at all interested in changing his horrible way of eating, I didn't last long. Its very hard to cook two different types of foods and so I stopped cooking at all for past several years. Also because of my work schedule. But now husband is on board with the new diet due to some health scares and so I'm cooking up something new every few days. I'm loving it. Tomorrow is week 4 on the Esselstyn plan and I've already lost 12 Lbs . I do not go hungry or suffer! My eating is not 0 fat of course and that's probably impossible but it is very little fat. And I take some supplements such as Flax seed oil, Evening Primrose and DHA, all of which add a little to daily fat. But it doesn't seem to be hurting.

Occasionally, I have questions though and hope to find others who may have the answers I am seeking. Since 2004, I stopped eating all meat except for fish and continued to eat dairy. So going Vegan was still a huge change for me. I'm therefore learning how to cook without butter and oil, or cheese or dairy and sometimes am not sure how to proceed.

I would also love to make buddies with others on this diet plan.

Anyway, as my grandma would always end her letters, "Nuff said". Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 09-22-2017, 10:07 AM
Super Moderator

Welcome to VB! I've been following The Starch Solution diet for about a year now which I think is pretty similar and it's been great!

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
#3 Old 09-23-2017, 01:16 AM
Vegan since 1991

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rae8 View Post

Occasionally, I have questions though and hope to find others who may have the answers I am seeking. Since 2004, I stopped eating all meat except for fish and continued to eat dairy. So going Vegan was still a huge change for me. I'm therefore learning how to cook without butter and oil, or cheese or dairy and sometimes am not sure how to proceed.
!

If you're trying to minimize the use of oily/fatty foods (the butter, oil, cheese etc.), I've found it helpful to incorporate spicy. low/no-fat condiments into my cooking. Mustard and salsa are very low in calories - these are good for bread, sandwiches, beans, and grains. Oil-free marinara sauce is pretty low in calories (watch for added sugars) - this is also good for bread, sandwiches, etc. For salads, you might like the various flavored vinegars (balsamic vinegar, red wine vinegar), mustard, coarsely-ground black pepper, and/or minced garlic, with no oil added.

Pizza is a tough one. Without cheese, pizza is a very different thing. There are some dairy-free cheeses (Daiya block cheese, Field Roast vegan cheese) - some people like them, some people don't. Dairy-free cheeses can still be high in calories and added fat, so check the labels. When I get pizza, I just get it with lots of extra sauce, plus spicy/tangy toppings: sundried tomatoes, olives, dried red chiles, things like that.

If you have high blood pressure, watch for the sodium content of condiments.

Werewolf Girl likes this.

_________

“Under the twinkling trees was a table covered with Guatemalan fabric, roses in juice jars, wax rose candles from Tijuana and plates of food — Weetzie's Vegetable Love-Rice, My Secret Agent Lover Man's guacamole, Dirk's homemade pizza, Duck's fig and berry salad and Surfer Surprise Protein Punch, Brandy-Lynn's pink macaroni, Coyote's cornmeal cakes, Ping's mushu plum crepes and Valentine's Jamaican plantain pie."

from Witch Baby, Francesca Lia Block, 1991

Last edited by David3; 09-23-2017 at 01:33 AM.

#4 Old 09-23-2017, 02:48 AM

Glad it works for you. I personally tried the low fat thing (getting less than 10% from fat) but after about 8 months I felt no difference so tossed it out in favor of what I do now.

If you can spare the fat calories, it's always a good idea to include some raw polyunsaturated fats in there as well from nuts/seeds. Vitamin E was always a problem for me on low fat but adding a small amount of raw sunflower seeds (either shelled and in a recipe or still in the shell and eaten baseball style) can meet the RDA pretty easily. There's stuff like wheat germ which can help too (for vitamin E).

Salsa is definitely a life-saver, along with hot sauce in general. I keep a container of habanero powder and curry (Rani brand off Amazon... it's pretty good) that I pretty much flavor everything with these days. You also have to use more of it (in general) on a low fat diet to get the same heat I find.

Anyway, good luck.
David3 likes this.
#5 Old 09-26-2017, 03:48 PM

Liquid Amino's are also great!
#6 Old 09-27-2017, 09:09 AM

Great! Thank you!
#7 Old 09-27-2017, 09:10 AM

Yes, pizza is the one thing I will really miss. I just remind myself how bad the cheese is for us and how its made, YUK!
#8 Old 09-27-2017, 09:11 AM

That was one of first things I purchased. Thank you!
#9 Old 09-27-2017, 09:12 AM

Thank you!
#10 Old 09-27-2017, 06:01 PM
Vegan since 1991

Quote:
Hi all:
My eating is not 0 fat of course and that's probably impossible but it is very little fat. And I take some supplements such as Flax seed oil, Evening Primrose and DHA, all of which add a little to daily fat. But it doesn't seem to be hurting.

Hi Rae8,

Dr. Esselstyn doesn't actually instruct people to completely eliminate fat from their diet. He encourages people to eat 1-2 tablespoons of ground flax seed or chia seed every day - these are excellent sources of omega-3 fatty acids: http://www.dresselstyn.com/site/faq/

Spudulika and Rae8 like this.

_________

“Under the twinkling trees was a table covered with Guatemalan fabric, roses in juice jars, wax rose candles from Tijuana and plates of food — Weetzie's Vegetable Love-Rice, My Secret Agent Lover Man's guacamole, Dirk's homemade pizza, Duck's fig and berry salad and Surfer Surprise Protein Punch, Brandy-Lynn's pink macaroni, Coyote's cornmeal cakes, Ping's mushu plum crepes and Valentine's Jamaican plantain pie."

from Witch Baby, Francesca Lia Block, 1991
#11 Old 10-01-2017, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David3 View Post
Hi Rae8,

Dr. Esselstyn doesn't actually instruct people to completely eliminate fat from their diet. He encourages people to eat 1-2 tablespoons of ground flax seed or chia seed every day - these are excellent sources of omega-3 fatty acids: http://www.dresselstyn.com/site/faq/

But he does say no oil. He only recommends it in meal or seed form. And for people with heart disease, no or few walnuts.
#12 Old 10-01-2017, 07:49 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
But he does say no oil. He only recommends it in meal or seed form. And for people with heart disease, no or few walnuts.
The tablespoon of flax or chia is the most fat allowed on the heart disease diet. No nuts at all. No avocado, no olives, no tropical fruits. Definitely no oil!
The Esselstyn diet is for those with heart disease or indications of heart problems. There are adjusted diets for those who have family history, but the true diet has been the one that has shown reversal.

His son, Rip, has a good book and recipes for general plant based eating, the Engine 2 diet.

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page