Doing Everything Wrong! - VeggieBoards

Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 08-25-2017, 12:55 PM

Doing Everything Wrong!

So I recently have transitioned into leading a vegan life style! I'm very excited about this for many reasons and I'm very happy to have made this change. It's hardly even been a week from when I started, but I've tried to spend a lot of time reading up on things to avoid and things that are ok. However, some information is not often clear. Now, I'm stressed because I worry that everything I'm eating and using is not as vegan as I imagined and I just feel like scum. It's just very hard for me to dive right in, and not because I don't want to, I just feel very uneducated and therefore I know I'm making mistakes more frequently than a vegan should and I just feel like a total fraud & failure. It's very important to me to do all that I can to not touch anything using animal derived or tested products but there are so many different ingredients for things that I am totally unsure of what they are. And I know that I should then look it up but sometimes what I find is inconclusive and it's very frustrating. It's hard because I'm living with my parents and there are very few vegan options here for me at this very moment and then things that I assume are ok I can't seem to find specific information on. So I'm left eating one meal a day most days that I'm not even positive are vegan. It just seems like this is so much easier for anyone else who puts their mind to it. I also struggle with anorexia and so my food related stress is just absolutely insane right now and I need some peace. I just need some tips or any sites or information that will help me get a grip on becoming vegan because right now I just feel terrible and incapable.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-25-2017, 03:20 PM
Super Moderator

Choosing to avoid animal products is an admirable thing, but what is far more important to animals lives isn't the individual obsessing about every little thing, it's each individual doing things to make more people want to be vegan, and less demand for animal use.

Your health is far more important now. Right now not only are those who worry for you are going to link your refusal to eat with your insistence on each morsel being vegan. In many ways they're right whether you see it that way or not.

I didn't have an eating disorder, but I did obsess to the point where it took over my life when i tried being vegan years ago. I had to conscientously make an effort to relax my standards, and often i know that meant eating things that contained animal products. But learning to let the obessions go allowed me to be far more vegan, and more able to advocate. No one will, or really should, listen to someone who doesn't represent a viable, practical, healthful alternative to the traditional diet of omnis.

Are you seeing a doctor now? Someone who specializes in eating disorders? Nutrition?

Hummus, avocados, whole grains, beans, legumes, nuts, seeds, nut butters- all vegan so there are no excuses there. Look for Silk Nut protein milk- it's almond, cashew, and pea protein, it is vegan and higher in protein and lower in sugar than others, and really tasty.
Take a vitamin with B12 like Deva tiny tablets or get a protein shake

Your health and recovery are so important to your ability to be vegan! Right now focus most on YOU and you will be an amazing advocate! Animals aren't being impacted on whether or not you eat gelatin or whey right now. They're better helped by you getting helped

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good

Tags
failure , mistakes , new member , new vegan , struggling

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page