VeggieBoards banner

Help me go vegan!

Tags
newbie vegan
750 views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  jessandreia 
#1 ·
Hey everyone, how are you all doing?

I've recently decided that I wish I pursue a vegan lifestyle, however I've been eating meat my whole life (not a very long life, I suppose) and also animal products.

As far as meat goes I usually only eat chicken or pork, very occasionally fish, so I'm guessing it wouldn't be that hard to make the change as far as that goes.

However, dairy is a huge part of my diet unfortunately, cheese, milk and all that... Other types of milk seem rather expensive in comparison to the usual cow milk though. I'm also not very fond of having to take supplements...

So my question to you guys is: how can I make the switch and easily substitute the meat that I eat for something with a little more variety, economically friendly and with minimal effort (for starters)? I've done SOME research but all these nutrients and vitamins confuse me and I'm not sure where to begin.

Thanks.

#2 ·
You don't have to drink the plant-based kinds of milk. Make sure you are eating vegetables high in calcium.
Here are some: http://nutritiondata.self.com/foods-011118000000000000000-2w.html

You said you don't like taking supplements, but you will probably have to take a B12 supplement. I don't know if it's changed, but as far as I know, vegan foods in Portugal are not fortified with B12.

As for economically friendly, buy beans in dry, maybe buy vegetables frozen to make sure they don't go bad before you eat them, and look for the no name/supermarket brands.

#4 ·
You don't have to drink the plant-based kinds of milk. Make sure you are eating vegetables high in calcium.
Here are some:

You said you don't like taking supplements, but you will probably have to take a B12 supplement. I don't know if it's changed, but as far as I know, vegan foods in Portugal are not fortified with B12.

As for economically friendly, buy beans in dry, maybe buy vegetables frozen to make sure they don't go bad before you eat them, and look for the no name/supermarket brands.
Hey thanks for replying! That's a rather helpful website, going to start using that from now on.

Do you have a Continente near you?

I found this:

Cheap, and it's fortified with B12
Yes I do happen to have a Continente near me, however, the vegetarian/vegan section has so much stuff I had no idea where to even start...

#3 ·
#5 ·
From what I remember when I have been in Portugal, a lot of products in those sections are vegetarian, so if you are trying to eat vegan, you will have less to choose from. But it's just a matter of trying them; if you like it great, if not, you know to not buy the product again.The spinach burger "Hamburger de espinafres" by Vegin is my favourite vegan product I have tried in Portugal. I got it at Jumbo, not Continente, though, so not sure they sell that one.

But you probably want to stick to the whole foods sections for most of your grocery shopping trips, as the products in the vegan/vegetarian section are not cheap.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.