Plant-Based Newbie - VeggieBoards

Forum Jump: 
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By greenskeeper
  • 2 Post By silva

#1 Old 03-16-2017, 10:29 AM

Plant-Based Newbie

Hi from Central Texas!

I started a plant-based diet end of January to battle ongoing acid reflux triggered by antibiotic use. I didn't want to go on acid reducing meds so researched dietary options instead. So far it's really helped. I have scheduled a doc appointment to get blood work done in April but until then I'm learning a lot from reading the board.

I am interested in learning how people with naturally low blood pressure adapt to a veg/plant-based diet. Mine has dropped quite a bit already and I don't want it to go any lower. I have signed up on cron-o-meter to track nutrients and am currently reviewing my daily dietary intake. I'm sure I'll have plenty of questions and am looking forward to learning from the folks here.
Werewolf Girl likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-16-2017, 03:55 PM
Super Moderator

Hello greenskeeper

My blood pressure is regularly 110 over 60. I have always loved the taste of salt, and really had to restrain myself, since childhood. When I went on a whole food diet (not all veg then) and stopped adding salt, thinking that would be so healthy, I got very dizzy, lightheaded like I would pass out. I saw my doctor, and was told to add salt. Blood pressure got way low

Another time after being veg, I got on a hibiscus tea kick, drinking it daily. Again my blood pressure dropped, and quit drinking it so often

Other than those episodes it stays the usual

People are very different regarding blood pressure and salt requirements. There's new evidence proving that salt needs are quite individual

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good
#3 Old 03-16-2017, 05:05 PM

Hi Silva, thanks for telling me about your experience. My blood pressure numbers nearly match yours! Normal for me is 110/62. In the last few weeks it has dipped quite low. I have not felt lightheaded, only weakened - like muscle weakness. I increased my sodium intake and have added a multi-vit and b12. Hopefully, I’ll get this sorted out and stabilized soon.

Interesting about the hibiscus tea. I like it too so thanks for the heads-up.

#4 Old 03-19-2017, 01:22 PM
Super Moderator

Welcome to VB!

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
#5 Old 03-19-2017, 01:56 PM
Veggie Regular

Welcome!
#6 Old 03-20-2017, 04:45 AM
person

Hi

"The time will come when men such as I will look upon the murder of animals as they now look upon the murder of men." - Leonardo Da Vinci, Italian Painter, Sculptor, Architect, Musician, Engineer, and Scientist

When it comes to having a central nervous system, and the ability to feel pain, hunger, and thirst, a rat is a pig is a dog is a boy. ~Ingrid Newkirk

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page