VeggieBoards banner

New Vegan

655 views 7 replies 8 participants last post by  veganwarrior1983 
#1 ·
I just went vegan a little over a week ago and love it so far. I've been lurking around these boards and have found them really helpful and thought it was time join and be part of the conversation.

My story starts about a year and a half ago when I started working at an animal rescue specializing in cats. I care deeply about the well-being of every cat we care for and my job has come to mean the world to me. But it also made me start to think. Why should I care so deeply about these cats, yet continue to support the killing of other living beings? I tried to ignore it for awhile, but I couldn't anymore.

I'm very fortunate to have two coworkers who are vegan and have been a great example to me. They have never, ever been pushy or tried to preach to me. I think if they had I would have been more likely to resist. They were always great at answering my questions without being judgmental. They've been very helpful (and continue to be) a huge help with my transition.

About two weeks ago I watched the documentary Earthlings. It was devastating and life changing. I cried so much and had to take frequent breaks to get through it. But I made myself do it because I felt that I owed it to these animals to know the truth. After watching that documentary, I knew there was no going back. I've taken the blinders off and now I see the truth. Though devastating, it is also a relief. There's a feeling of freedom, but a great sadness that comes with it.

Anyway, I look forward to learning more as I continue this journey. I've learned a lot, but I have so much more to learn.

See less See more
#2 ·
Glad you're here and I enjoyed your story. Kudos for connecting the dots and finding your vegan groove!! That overwhelming sadness leaves a mark, indeed.

I remember when I was still in high school, I volunteered at the SPCA, and upon arriving, I went to put my lunch in what I thought was the fridge, however, it was a deep freeze where they kept the carcasses of the ones they had euthanized. I threw up and left.

I didn't connect the dots back then, unfortunately, but grateful to finally be more fully aware. Seeing those types of organizations raising money by selling other dead animals (bbqs hot dogs and such) really gets me, too, but then I'm viewed as simply being the crazy or angry vegan if I say anything.

Having that direct support with your coworkers is priceless. I'm not sure how well I would have managed without one on one guidance through some of the rougher spots, and having that direct grocery store/farmers' market guidance available was another huge help. I was amazed at how many veggies and fruits I couldn't identify.

Congrats on your new lifestyle choices and I wish you the best. I think you'll like it here.

#4 ·
Seeing those types of organizations raising money by selling other dead animals (bbqs hot dogs and such) really gets me, too, but then I'm viewed as simply being the crazy or angry vegan if I say anything.
I totally get this. I volunteer with an amazing rescue organization, and one of their biggest fundraisers of the year is put on by local businesses doing a BBQ competition. They've had vegan protesters come in and cause a scene in past years but it doesn't do anything but make people angry, and why not? in their eyes, they are doing something good. Their hearts are in the right place, and they are helping save tons of animals, but I do wish more people would be able to connect the dots, and see that ALL animals deserve compassion, not just the ones you don't think are tasty :(

#5 ·
I had the same kind of experience sort of except the realization was brought about by the accidental death of a litter of baby bunnies that were born to one of our kids pets. Same thoughts! 'If I am so upset that these little bunny babies died, how can I not care about the animals that I'm eating?' That was many years ago and vegetarian was the order of the day for 15 years.

Then one day, someone mentioned an AR group to me that I'd never heard about and in looking it up, came across dairy cow/calf videos and had the lightbulb moment about dairy. (and don't ask me why it took that long, I don't know, I have absolutely no answer to that.....) but yeah, here I am many years later just like you are now and aren't we both glad for that eh?

Anyway, congrats on taking the leap, bit of a learning curve but before long, you won't even have to think about it, it'll all be natural and easy.

#6 ·
congratulations for making the change. Nice to meet you.

#7 ·
Welcome!

I've attempted to go vegetarian (ovo/lacto) in the past and failed both times. I recently came back to VB with a stronger than ever resolve to be vegan! I finally had my wakeup call after adopting my second cat a few weeks ago. I realized I love both my cats more than anything in the world - they're so smart, sassy, spunky, each with their own hilarious, wonderful personalities. I didn't grow up with pets so I didn't make that connection early on, but I realized - aren't all animals just like this? And I suddenly had a complete aversion to meat, I just can't eat it anymore.

This forum has been a wonderful resource for me, and I hope it's the same for you as well! :)

#8 ·
You´ll find lots of informative data, and inspirational stories on this site. Hopefully you can stay strong and stay vegan/vegetarian. I switched to vegan after eating at a delicious vegan restaurant in Tulum, it´s amazing how natural it becomes if you can just get past the first 3 months.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.