Beginning in March - VeggieBoards

Forum Jump: 
 4Likes
  • 2 Post By foureyedfool
  • 1 Post By daphney1
  • 1 Post By ShaneR

#1 Old 02-16-2017, 11:59 AM

Beginning in March

Hey folks. I'm 27 years old, morbidly obese, with many physical and mental illnesses. I have struggled with alcoholism since I turned 21, and I've been addicted to food for as long as I can remember. Even when I was a child, it was what I turned to for emotional comfort. I am sick of being unhealthy, depressed, anxious, in pain, and having no motivation or energy to do anything.

Anyway, along with the emotional eating/food addiction, I'm a binge eater. I eat massive quantities of food (usually 'unhealthy' food) in one sitting. I'm hoping that by eliminating meat from my diet and cutting back on flour/sugar/processed food, I can still lose some weight. Maybe I'll binge on fruit or vegetables, but because of the caloric density, it won't hurt me as much as, for example, eating an entire pizza would.

Also, the past year I have become much more environmentally-conscious. I've started recycling and composting. Really the only thing I can't compost is the animal products, and I thought...if I cut these out, not only would it benefit my health, but also the environment and animals themselves. So, I have a lot of desire to do this, but my fear is that the motivation will be my problem. I've always been a quitter, and because of my severe clinical depression, I lose interest and motivation in things very quickly.

Anyway, sorry for the rambling, just wanted to say who I am (name's Chelsea btw) and where I'm coming from. Thanks for having me here on the forums
Thalassa and BlueMts like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-16-2017, 08:30 PM
Beginner

I also have clinical depression - have had most of my life.

I know that everything is really hard to do when you have clinical depression so it seems to me you are doing really well so far. When you feel like quitting just look at how far you have come and that will help motivate you or come talk to someone here that will help too.

I know how difficult it can be with your illness to make the changes you are making but keep going. I have holes in the white matter of my brain and find it difficult to do lot of things now like I'm not allowed to cook (fortunately my husband is a vegetarian because he has to cook) so I was pleased to find this forum too.

People who have not experienced endogenous depression usually have no concept of what it is like so it is easy for them to say the wrong thing but the people here seem very nice so they should be encouraging.

Just remember YOU CAN DO IT.

"The time will come when men such as I will look upon the murder of animals as they now look upon the murder of men." - Leonardo Da Vinci, Italian Painter, Sculptor, Architect, Musician, Engineer, and Scientist
#3 Old 02-17-2017, 09:09 AM

I wish you luck. I have also struggled with depression. Had three bad episodes in my life. Being vegan has helped me endlessly. Firstly, I did this for the animals, as I had seen how horrendous it was and thought I cannot go home and cuddle my dog and then eat a chicken sandwich - I was a hypocrite. Secondly, the health benefits were enormous for me - I lost a lot of weight and was able to exercise and recover better than I ever did before - even when I was pescatarian for several years, I still had many aches and pains and sluggish, tiredness, digestion problems etc. etc. Giving up all the animal products, my arthritis practically disappeared overnight and I felt much more energetic. Dont' get me wrong I still have binges, but these tend to be dark chocolate, too many nuts and vegan cakes - so I still feel better knowing that I am not eating something that has been killed. It was only quite a bit later I discovered the massive environmental impact of eating animals, so again another great positive. Be kind to yourself. Tell yourself every day you complete that you are doing great things - for the animals, your health and the environment. It is amazing the mental benefits you get from doing this - there are no downsides trust me. Try to join a vegan meetup or find a buddy (I have found someone at work) to give you support, and of course keep checking this board. You will slip up sometimes, but just pick yourself up and keep going. Everyone makes mistakes, but you have to tell yourself you had a bad day and ate all the wrong things, but move on and have another great day, where you eat great things I used to have BED (binge eating disorder), but for the first time in my life - from going vegan - I don't actually have a problem with that anymore - the odd binge which anyone does, but nothing like I used to. It has really sorted me out and I absolutely love it. If you feel a binge coming on, have loads of vegetables - stews are good as they really fill you up, fruits and anything with pulses, lentils etc. will fill you up and are easily digestable and process through your system quickly, unlike rotting meat, blocking you up. If you need chocolate go for 70%, at least it has less sugar in it than milk chocolate. Wishing you lots and lots of luck. Would love to hear your progress, please keep us updated and have a great weekend :0)
BlueMts likes this.

#4 Old 02-17-2017, 03:55 PM

Welcome, I'm new here to. Just wanted to say I am an alcoholic. Part of my spirituality is eating a diet that causes the least harm to the planet. There is not diet as harmless as the vegan diet. It's also the only one that keeps me fit and feeling well.
BlueMts likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page