VeggieBoards banner

Is it normal to poop this much?

1K views 18 replies 11 participants last post by  Naturebound 
#1 ·
Sorry to be gross. But have been vegan for 5 months now. I have def lost weight consistently which is a huge plus. I'm guessing all through my poop :)

Initially I thought this is awesome kick ass fantastic, but now I'm getting a little concerned whether or not this is healthy or normal?

I am still learning as I go and I don't want to risk my health. I'm assuming people on this board are pro veg/vegan so I'm assuming most will say it's normal/healthy...

Just wondering if someone has some insight into this.

#2 ·
Impossible to say since we don't know how much "this much" is... I think 2-4 times a day is pretty normal.

The losing weight it's probably (also) due eating less calories without realising it.

Reactions: David3
#3 ·
Than you. Yeah 1-2 times a day now is typical whereas previously it was a few times a week which I can only assume to my extreme difficulty managing my weight most of my life.

I am honestly the happiest vegan around as it's transformed my moods and weight. But I just am a tiny bit concerned that all this is sort of too good to be true. I've heard that the reason for the weight loss is your body is starved for nutrients and cannabilizes itself. ughh. Still learning.

#5 ·
Than you. Yeah 1-2 times a day now is typical whereas previously it was a few times a week which I can only assume to my extreme difficulty managing my weight most of my life.

I am honestly the happiest vegan around as it's transformed my moods and weight. But I just am a tiny bit concerned that all this is sort of too good to be true. I've heard that the reason for the weight loss is your body is starved for nutrients and cannabilizes itself. ughh. Still learning.
You're finally getting enough fiber in your diet! It's a good thing, very healthy for the bowels. :)

#4 · (Edited)
Oh... 1-2 times day is completely normal. Nothing to worry about! You're probably just eating more fiber, which is good.

Weight loss/gain is in general about calories in, calories out. Vegan food (except for the more processed stuff) is low in calories, so pretty easy to eat less calories than when you ate meat and dairy.

Reactions: David3 and LedBoots
#8 ·
I love your title to this thread! Most of the newbie intro threads have really boring titles, but yours drew me in.

I poop 2-4 times a day. The most predictable one is the one that comes 20 minutes after I get out of bed. It works great when I've planned for that, but when I overslept and have 15 minutes to get out the door to work... I can definitely tell the quality of the food I've eaten in the last couple days by the condition of the poop and the ease at which it exits.

Welcome!

#9 ·
If you think are losing weight too quickly, then you might want to add more nuts into your diet - especially cashews, as they have more calories. Also, adding Olive Oil to your sauces will help. Avocadoes is also a good choice.

What my doctor told me is that once the body gets used to having more fiber, the system will get into a routine that is a new "normal". He said that it isn't uncommon for some people to go more times per day. However, he also cautioned against having the runs, as that could mean dehydration and loss of too much vitamins and minerals. He suggested to me that I add probiotics to my diet to help heal my intestines (from undiagnoised Celiac), and to eat Bananas if the stools are too lose. Then he had to recant the bananas, upon finding out I am allergic to bananas. I get instantly constipated if I lick a banana. :laugh:

#10 ·
I think most vegans poop several times per day. I m on average maybe 3 times per day. And this can be a problem sometimes. Pooping 3 times per day, can get you in bad situations. People mostly go early int he morning and then the whole day they don't need to go. But if you poop 3 times per day you go early in the morning and you know you will need to go two more times, so if you travel or go somewhere you can be caught in some bad situations where there may not be an appropriate toilet.

How do you fight that?

#11 ·
I'm one that poops once per day on average, like clockwork, at the same time every morning. It's a nice healthy poop lol. Occasionally I will poop more but it almost always is in the morning, unless I am extremely anxious. However, when I did all raw vegan I was pooping several times a day, sometimes upwards of five or six times lol. I never got beyond a few weeks of all raw at a time though so it was probably my body adjusting to the crazy amount of roughage I was getting.

I usually average about six or seven servings of fruits and veggies per day, two or three servings of beans and or nuts, a serving or two of concentrated fats, six or seven servings of grains. This regimen seems to be what my body is very used to. If I go higher with roughage I poop more. If I go too low with fat I poop less. But anxiety, thyroid med imbalance, unusual foods I am not used to eating all can have an effect on my digestion and elimination.

I used to go less and suffered with constipation when I was an omni, but dairy also made me have immediate diarrhea and nausea, then followed by days of constipation. And my stool was harder. Those days are rare if nonexistent as a vegan. :)

#13 ·
omg I noticed this too when I first went vegan!!

I've been vegan for 2 and a half years now and I still find that I 'go' a lot more often than the average person. I find that going 1-4 times per day is pretty normal for me

so don't worry yourself about going too often, we all do it as much as you :p

#14 ·
I forgot but I was going to mention a crazy story that happened to me last year in regards to pooping during inconvenient times. I went on a 30 mile rugged mountain bike loop in the Superior National Forest, far from any buildings, roads etc. I stupidly made sandwiches with a homemade white bean "mayo" concoction. I think I remember I mixed white beans, vinegar, mustard, spices. I ate a sandwich just before starting on the trail. It was a wet day, drizzling, cool, but humid. The mosquitoes were so bad my partner and I could not stand still for five seconds and we were literally covered in them. I had my rain jacket on, hood and all, long sleeves, cut off pants. At any rate, ten miles into the trail, I was suddenly stricken with terrible cramps and I just knew I had to go and go now! I had never in all my 43 years of living had to poop in the middle of the woods before. But there was no way around it that day. I had to pull down my pants, squat in the woods, and go among swarms of mosquitos and steady rain. I was eaten alive down there and it was miserable lol. I don't know what on earth I was thinking making a rich sandwich like that out on the trail. Usually when I do distance hikes, cycling, canoeing, snowshoeing etc. I bring easy to digest foods like dates, nuts, fresh fruits etc. I had never made that particular bean concoction before and it just did not agree with me. What's worse, I went not once but THREE times that afternoon lol.

#15 · (Edited)
Vegetarian Poop Credo:

We are vegetarian. We poop. We eat nothing that poops.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.