Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By ImNoChefNatasha
  • 1 Post By ImNoChefNatasha

#1 Old 07-24-2016, 11:55 PM
Started a youtube channel

Unhappy Hello from Canada!

Hey everyone!
I just started a youtube channel trying out all these Vegan/Vegetarian Pinterest recipes that claim to be easy/healthy....as I'm no way near a chef...really wanted to put them to the test.

My worry is that because its vegan/vegetarian, I wouldn't have enough subscribers/successful or people wouldn't be interested...I get a lot of joy making the videos but to have friend say they aren't interested watching them makes me sad

Any tips? Ideas? Really could use some advice/help to get my videos out there...
Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	461.9 KB
ID:	15009  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-25-2016, 02:23 AM
Super Moderator

Veggieboards is a discussion forum and spam and self promotion aren't allowed. regular members may leave their links in their tags lines

You say you're no 'chef', but how long have you been vegan? Personally I find the majority of well intended videos and blogs from those just discovering this lifestyle as rather counter productive. I get the passion and desire to inspire others, but the lack of real experience is not helpful
you tubes from veganzombie, thug kitchen, miyoko shinner, Christina pirello-- Here's a good list to check--
http://www.onegreenplanet.org/vegan-...ls-on-youtube/

there's so much of the same old, same old food being rehashed
What I do like in a video is seeing things I may not think of like--
Simplifying directions in how to prep to utilize time and fewest utensils and bowls
Steps to follow to help in cook times, like saying to wash up while waiting on a sautee
Reminding to deglaze or how to often to stir
Giving suggestions for substituting ingrediants and what difference they'll make, or if other changes are needed.

People like food, most don't want a lecture attached. I think a fair test of a food video is in how many omnivores like it if vegan or health isn't stresssed.
Your friends disinterest should give you a clue
#3 Old 07-25-2016, 02:39 AM
Super Moderator

Since you've linked vegan muffins, do you understand the difference in starches- corn, potato, or tapioca will make in texture, compared to using egg subs like flax, chia or siken tofu?
I'm not trying to be discouraging, but when people who aren't interested in being vegan try things that aren't make right, or even to their tastes, and don't realize how they COULD taste, it's turns them off completely.

When I first tried to cook tofu for example, I read so many suggestions to freeze it first, then press out the water for a 'better' texture. Yech! Old sponge! thankfully someone replied how much they disliked that method too, so I never did it again and tofu is one of my favorite foods. Give suggestions of different styles. Steaming tempeh-- not everyone does it, I always heard 'steam it first'- nope, tastes just fine as is, wastes time, others disagree

#4 Old 07-25-2016, 02:42 AM

Im not looking for self promotion..just advice on how to reach a bigger audience who share the same passion for vegan/vegetarian food.
I've never had meat in my life..was born/raised as a lactovegetarian.

My friends disinterest comes from me being a vegetarian while they are not. They roll their eyes to the idea of being vegan/vegetarian.... Almost looked down upon you can say. I constantly get teased that I should eat meat or try making chicken curry for my next video etc...thats why I came here for the advice...assumed the veggieboard would have more supportive people...
#5 Old 07-25-2016, 02:51 AM

and no, no experience whatsoever. The idea was that I could pick these recipes that claim to be amazing and see if a simple average person can make it. I tried a few that claimed to be easy but came out as a huge disaster and I wanted to see if changing it around with different ingredients/quantities would make a difference.

Just trying to see if there are people out here who do enjoy vegan/vegetarian videos...seeing how popular non vegetarian Pinterest videos are on youtube. I feel like there is a lack of vegan/vegetarian recipes testing (not creating) videos on youtube
#6 Old 07-25-2016, 03:09 AM
Super Moderator

Many of the veg'n pinterists are spot on, others not at all. I acquired one of those doughnut pans, and looked up vegan baked doughnuts> I looked at two that were very similar. They both had you cook the dough mixture which I'd never heard of for something like that, they also used applesauce. I tried it and came out with very unpalatable dense, weirdness that tasted like a fallen apple cake. I checked Chloe who I should have turned to first, and found a very normal sounding recipe using regular oil, regular amounts of starch and no 'boiling' the mix. I haven't tried it, but with I know about recipes it sounds perfect. that's that kind of thing I'm trying to get at-people that have a prejudice against veg'n foods are only going to have their perceptions strenghtened when they keep getting foods they don't like, that are touted as veg'n

When I first went vegetarian (lacto) I was all about whole healthy eating. I lost weight, but after a time I wanted more. I learned to cook in ways that go over and above anything I'd eaten as an omnivore, and found baking easier without the eggs and when I gave up dairy, found subs with cashews, tofu, starches. I gained the weight back, but love to eat!

I've desensitized myself enough to join in food talk. When it turns to some kind of dish with meat I insert my variation--not highlighting the fact that it doesn't have meat, or cruelty, or is healthier, just the way I found it to better. It's almost always easier, as well as cheaper-- I use that as an advantage.

Why do your friends feel veg food isn't good? What foods have you shared?

Veg'n foods are just as varied as anything omni, what are your interests?
#7 Old 07-25-2016, 03:11 AM
Super Moderator

I'm a little biased as I've spent a good bit of time this weekend on line browsing recipes. One more zucchini spiral, or potato based 'cheese' sauce and I could scream!
#8 Old 07-25-2016, 03:19 AM
Super Moderator

I'm really sorry if I'm being a downer.

I've learned so much about cooking, and still do, from very omnivorous chefs--Jacques Pepin, Julia Childs book on vegetable cooking was my first success with fresh veggies, the Italian chefs on PBS.
Veg'n cooking is as much a sub class of cooking as any ethic dish and even omnis should enjoy it as they would Chinese or Italian
#9 Old 07-25-2016, 03:24 AM

I know what you mean...the substitutions are getting a little out of hand
I try to make it/find one as simple as possible
ie. in my muffin recipe it was just baking powder and just oil sub instead of butter and eggs..simple change and it still came out great

For me, being vegetarian is a norm..as I was born that way so I've never preached it to my friends nor shove it down their throats..but I guess because veg'n is becoming more popular (its also a trend thing...hipster like here)...they get more annoyed now if you mention it being vegan/vegetarian at all..don't even want to give it a try....it really sucks
LedBoots likes this.
#10 Old 07-25-2016, 03:35 AM

and obviously I don't even mention to my friends that it is veg'n but they know it is if I made it...
#11 Old 07-25-2016, 04:04 AM
Lifelong vegetarian

W e l c o m e !

-
-
-
-
-
-

My usual answer: I have never heard a convincing reason to eat meat.
#12 Old 07-25-2016, 09:23 AM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImNoChefNatasha View Post
Hey everyone!
I just started a youtube channel trying out all these Vegan/Vegetarian Pinterest recipes that claim to be easy/healthy....as I'm no way near a chef...really wanted to put them to the test.

My worry is that because its vegan/vegetarian, I wouldn't have enough subscribers/successful or people wouldn't be interested...I get a lot of joy making the videos but to have friend say they aren't interested watching them makes me sad

Any tips? Ideas? Really could use some advice/help to get my videos out there...
Thanks
Hi and welcome to VB! I will subscribe to your YouTube, I love veg YouTube recipes.

I think a key is to use normal ingredients that people have in their kitchens, and not too much cooking time to attract non-veggies. It seems to be the cool thing to pick on vegetarians and vegand now, I think it is mostly deep-seated unrecognized guilt that drives it. I just shut up and bake.

And watch Mommy Tang on YouTube, do you know her? She does MukBang of her vegan recipes too.
#13 Old 07-25-2016, 09:39 AM
Veggie Regular

Catchy titles and thumbnails. Know how to edit; no one wants to see a 25 minute video of you cooking, especially when they don't know you.

"We have enslaved the rest of the animal creation, and have treated our distant cousins in fur and feathers so badly that beyond doubt, if they were able to formulate a religion, they would depict the Devil in human form." - William Ralphe Inge

#14 Old 07-25-2016, 09:40 PM

Thank you! I don't think I could ever!
#15 Old 07-25-2016, 09:45 PM

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by LedBoots View Post
Hi and welcome to VB! I will subscribe to your YouTube, I love veg YouTube recipes.

I think a key is to use normal ingredients that people have in their kitchens, and not too much cooking time to attract non-veggies. It seems to be the cool thing to pick on vegetarians and vegand now, I think it is mostly deep-seated unrecognized guilt that drives it. I just shut up and bake.

And watch Mommy Tang on YouTube, do you know her? She does MukBang of her vegan recipes too.

Thank you!!! No I don't! I'll look her up right now
and yes I'm trying to find ones that have little to no substitutions so anyone can make them.

Still need to find the perfect recipe for a moist cake that rises so if you have any, please do share!! (or do I have to start a new forum post for that? sorry I'm new to using a forum)
LedBoots likes this.
#16 Old 07-25-2016, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessandreia View Post
Catchy titles and thumbnails. Know how to edit; no one wants to see a 25 minute video of you cooking, especially when they don't know you.
Thanks for the pointers...going to note them down. Do you think 5 minute videos is too long?
#17 Old 07-26-2016, 02:39 AM
Super Moderator

Oh cakes are a good one! There are tons of vegan cakes, as good as mostly better than those with eggs. During world war 2 it started with eggs being rationed. Look up 'war cake' or 'wacky cake'. Those use baking soda in the dry ingredients and vinegar in the wet-combined and popped in the oven right away causes the rise.
Here's a perfect recipe. Many others with some variation of proportions of vinegar to soda, and oil. I tried this first and found it just right---
Absurdly Easy Chocolate Cake

When i first got into eggless baking I watched Chloe Coscarreli on the Food Network show cupcake wars beat everyone. Look her up if you haven't! Since then that show has had other vegan bakers compete and win

I brought in a chocolate cake to work once. Most knew I was vegan, loved it, and asked for the recipe.One real sourpuss initially said she liked until she found it was vegan. She looked at the recipe and went around saying how it had tons more sugar because vegan things used unhealthy ingredients to taste better. Nope, the only change is leaving out the eggs, and I had lots of people call her out on it.
One thing is that it does dry out quicker I believe.

This is a very good cake to portion out the dry ingredients in a jar with a label for wet as gifts. That would make a great Youtube!

Last edited by silva; 07-26-2016 at 02:42 AM.
#18 Old 07-26-2016, 09:02 PM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImNoChefNatasha View Post
Thanks for the pointers...going to note them down. Do you think 5 minute videos is too long?
I think up to about 12 minutes is good.
#19 Old 07-27-2016, 02:12 AM
Super Moderator

Here's what I want in a cooking video, but then, that's just me--
https://www.youtube.com/user/marystestkitchen

A 12 minute video would need to be something very, very special for me

I'm probably in the minority. I like things that cut to the chase
#20 Old 07-27-2016, 11:06 AM

Hi, and welcome! I wouldn't watch a 12 minute video. I have the attention span of a goldfish...

---------------------
Check out my blog:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Join my fitness challenge:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
advice help needed , Vegan , vegetarian , video , youtube

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page