• 1 Post By danakscully64
  • 2 Post By denise1952
  • 1 Post By denise1952
  • 1 Post By Lyn
  • 1 Post By Jenn2
  • 1 Post By danakscully64

#1 Old 03-12-2016, 06:23 AM

Red face Hi!

Hi everyone! I'm not a vegan or even a vegetarian yet, but I would like to make the move towards veganism. Any tips for a smooth transition?
LedBoots likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-12-2016, 07:55 AM
Veggie Regular

Hi!

Hi! Awesome news. You are in the right place. If you are looking to do it gradually, I'd say start with the big ticket items, like giving up eggs and dairy and don't worry too much about whether certain products contain some of this stuff. For instance, depending on what you have available in your area, I wouldn't worry if you opt for the veggie burger and it happens to have egg in it. It doesn't have to be all or nothing if that's too much for you. Not everyone can handle that and I would rather see you stick with it by taking smaller steps then to decide to give it up because you're having a hard time taking the big leap. This is just my opinion. Not everyone feels this way so keep an open mind. And welcome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by karenlovessnow; 03-12-2016 at 09:30 AM.
#3 Old 03-12-2016, 08:55 AM
Vegan since 1991

Quote:
Originally Posted by dancing_penguin View Post
Hi everyone! I'm not a vegan or even a vegetarian yet, but I would like to make the move towards veganism. Any tips for a smooth transition?
Welcome aboard!

It can be easier to become vegetarian if you first find 5 or 6 vegetarian dishes that you really enjoy. These dishes may be meatless versions of dishes that you already enjoy (like spaghetti, burritos, or soup). These dishes can be made meatless by substituting crumbled meatless patties or canned vegetarian chili in place of meat. Delicious cereals, like oatmeal, can be eaten at any meal (not just breakfast). Once these 5 or 6 vegetarian dishes become part of your eating, it will be much easier to cut meat out of your diet.

Here is a fantastic Vegetarian Starter Guide. It explains vegetarian nutrition on page 13, and it has lots of very easy meal ideas: http://www.mercyforanimals.org/files/VSG.pdf

_________

“Under the twinkling trees was a table covered with Guatemalan fabric, roses in juice jars, wax rose candles from Tijuana and plates of food — Weetzie's Vegetable Love-Rice, My Secret Agent Lover Man's guacamole, Dirk's homemade pizza, Duck's fig and berry salad and Surfer Surprise Protein Punch, Brandy-Lynn's pink macaroni, Coyote's cornmeal cakes, Ping's mushu plum crepes and Valentine's Jamaican plantain pie."

from Witch Baby, Francesca Lia Block, 1991

Last edited by David3; 03-12-2016 at 09:54 AM.

#4 Old 03-13-2016, 01:43 AM
Lifelong vegetarian

W e l c o m e !

-
-
-
-
-
-

My usual answer: I have never heard a convincing reason to eat meat.
#5 Old 03-13-2016, 08:37 AM
Super Moderator

Hi, welcome!

Karen's post is great. Make a gradual change, it will be easier. Are you in the US? There are SO many fake meats and cheeses now on the market that are excellent for transitioning. For me, the hardest part was finding recipes I liked. I transitioned to vegetarianism easier by just taking my favorite recipes and swapping out the meat for Quorn chicken (they now have AMAZING vegan products in the US).

Some of my favorite easy meals are:

-Mock tuna sandwich. Rinse a can of chickpeas, mash them, then mix in Just Mayo/Vegenaise, relish, mustard, a little minced onion, and S+P. It's like a mix between egg salad and tuna salad.

-Lentil loaf

-Snobby Joes: http://www.theppk.com/2009/11/snobby-joes/

-The only vegan mac and cheese I like (I go easy on the chipotle, to taste): http://www.theppk.com/2013/06/chipot...ussel-sprouts/

-Tacos with beans in place of meat

-Chili

-Amy's Kitchen meals (My favorite, great for fast meals and cheap at Target)
Jenn2 likes this.
#6 Old 03-13-2016, 10:54 AM
Beginner

Quote:
I did this recently as well, and not all transitioned yet. The most helpful thing for me was to shop only for the vegetarian stuff. I didn't ditch my food I had in the freezer, and so glad I had already eaten the meats I did have, like chicken, turkey sandwich slices. I didn't beat myself up for eating what was left. I couldn't afford to throw food away. And again, luckily, I had little of it left. I live alone, and never stock up more than a week or soPS Oh I just saw your name (user) Check this out from a Senior Forum I belong too, LOL: This is my avatar, LOL!

So now I don't buy anything that is meat, and once in awhile, I still get some milk in things but I don't beat myself on that either. I know I may transition on into vegan, but I am going easy, not getting overwhelmed or trying to be perfect. Big pitfall for me to try to be perfect so I don't go there

Write me anytime, I actually keep a journal on a site that I've plugged in my foods since 2009, so lately, I see quite a change in my meals. I also body-build, strength-training, not trying to be Miss Senior body builder, just want to feel good strength-wise, and health-wise

Denise
Attached Images

LedBoots and David3 like this.

Last edited by denise1952; 03-13-2016 at 10:58 AM. Reason: PS
#7 Old 03-13-2016, 11:01 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by David3 View Post
Welcome aboard!

It can be easier to become vegetarian if you first find 5 or 6 vegetarian dishes that you really enjoy. These dishes may be meatless versions of dishes that you already enjoy (like spaghetti, burritos, or soup). These dishes can be made meatless by substituting crumbled meatless patties or canned vegetarian chili in place of meat. Delicious cereals, like oatmeal, can be eaten at any meal (not just breakfast). Once these 5 or 6 vegetarian dishes become part of your eating, it will be much easier to cut meat out of your diet.

Here is a fantastic Vegetarian Starter Guide. It explains vegetarian nutrition on page 13, and it has lots of very easy meal ideas: http://www.mercyforanimals.org/files/VSG.pdf

Hi David! I have been buying the vegie burgers as well, but mine are Morning Star I think, they are good though, and I'm sure not a lot of diff. I like to fix them with nice, whole grain buns, w/sesame seeds Oh yes, and tomatoe, spinach (instead of reg. lettuce) and some brown mustard, and mayo Good to run into here, I hadn't been around for a bit denise
David3 likes this.
#8 Old 03-13-2016, 01:39 PM
Lyn

Quote:
Go with your personality. Some people find slow transitions easier, I found just switching pretty easy. But still I tried to stay as close to my previous diet as is practical.
I'm shocked that I don't crave meat, and tried meat substitutes more out of curiosity. They vary on the scale from horrible to delicious.
LedBoots likes this.
#9 Old 03-13-2016, 05:20 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by danakscully64 View Post
Hi, welcome!

-The only vegan mac and cheese I like (I go easy on the chipotle, to taste): http://www.theppk.com/2013/06/chipot...ussel-sprouts/
Wow, danakscully64, thanks for the link to that recipe! I made it tonight and it was delicious! I used the roasted red pepper instead of chipotle. YUM!
danakscully64 likes this.
#10 Old 03-14-2016, 04:03 AM

Welcome to the right place then I agree with karenlovessnow that you should take your journey one step at a time. Become a vegetarian first (can be hard enough depending on how much meat you are used to eating), then gradually lose all non-vegan ingredients in your food and voilà ... you're a vegan

Blog and vegetarian recipe books:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#11 Old 03-14-2016, 05:50 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenn2 View Post
Wow, danakscully64, thanks for the link to that recipe! I made it tonight and it was delicious! I used the roasted red pepper instead of chipotle. YUM!
Glad you liked it I made it for the first time in a Vitamix about 2 months ago and I've been even more obsessed since. My food processor still left it a little gritty. The Vitamix makes it completely smooth. The recipe comes from the same author of Veganomicon, Vegan with a Vengeance, Appetite for Reduction, Vegan Cupcakes take over the world, etc. I love her recipes.
Jenn2 likes this.

Tags
new vegan , tips , transition

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page