VeggieBoards banner

Hello I need tips I hate being Vegan

3K views 31 replies 18 participants last post by  PandemicAcolyte 
#1 ·
Hi, I am using my wife's account logged in using her facebook to save time. In any case I hate his vegan stuff, but for medical reasons I have to have a strictly Vegan diet, my sex drive has gone to zero, my wife prepares everything for me like the meals. She's been a vegan since 2007, and I feel she kind of tricked me into this Veganism yeah it helps with my stomach problems but, I think maybe if I tried more different meats might have had a result, I got the first result with vegan food, and to be honest it is bland and boring, I am so desperate for some chicken or something, I feel like I have really love energy unable to maintain a good sex drive and just overall feeling lethargic. Any tips?

#2 ·
What kind of meals are you eating?
Maybe try using some more seasonings and sauces in your meals (if you don't). Should help with the blandness. Low energy could be lack of calories. A lot of vegan foods are a lot lower in calories, so you should eat bigger quantities.

#4 · (Edited by Moderator)
What kind of meals are you eating?
Maybe try using some more seasonings and sauces in your meals (if you don't). Should help with the blandness.
She does put sauces on, sometimes, but I mean I usually prefer salad cream. She goes insane and completely nuts if I eat boiled eggs. She nearly kicked me out of the house when she caught me. She said it was just as bad as cheating on her, which I was caught for in the past, but I mean she's the breadwinner so I have to keep her happy by at least being honest with her. I am really trying very hard, but my sex drive has gone, and then she complains I can't errm you know what, but she says I am using low sex drive as an excuse to get out of the vegan diet I am on. I honestly didn't see a big deal with eating boiled eggs, she was super angry. We talk about this often and she said why don't you find an online vegan form i'm sure there are guys in the same boat as you. But honestly, I'm starting to think I don't think I am going to find anyone.

#3 ·
There's nothing in meat which boosts sex drive, so either you're experiencing a medical issue related to your libido or it's psychosomatic.

With all due respect, vegan food is neither bland nor boring. What on earth does unseasoned chicken taste like? Maybe you should Google for recipes and ask your wife to use more spices in her cooking. What kinds of foods do you normally eat?

#7 ·
My GP agrees he thinks it's possibly due to a diet change, but then again he also thinks I'm using it as an excuse to go back to eating meat. I've never tried unreasoned chicken, but I am actually Asian (Pakistani) so my mum used to cook chicken masala for me usually and that have spices in it. Normally, I don't eat much I pretty much take liquid supplements, because the vegan stuff is nasty sorry I'm not trying to be offensive but as a meat eater, I mean a nice cheese burger is nothing compared to salad. Mostly it's lentils and potatoes, basically I'm eating a lot of chips. Roasted vegetables, and rice. I'm a very picky eater, I eat spinach that is ok.

#5 ·
Maybe learn to cook and shop for yourself?

Seriously, there are lots of available chicken substitutions that are full of protein and taste great. You may have to try a couple different brands before you settle on your favorite, but consider it a culinary adventure. You can also lear to make chicken/sausage/beef flavored seitan at home that you can slice, cube, grind and basically turn into most any meat you crave.

Since you have to be vegan for medical reasons, you may as well enjoy it. Try some new vegetables, new grains, new salad dressings, new cuisines and new recipes. I understand it's new, it's different and maybe not what you wanted, but here you are. The good news is there's absolutely no reason not to be completely satisfied and happy on a vegan diet.

But don't leave it up to your wife - you need take ownership of your health and your happiness.

#10 ·
By the way me medical condition isn't serious, I get stomach cramps if I eat meat usually it only started after I had a pretty big drinking session and then got food/alcohol poisoning since then my stomach has not been the same. I've been on the vegan diet for about 2/3 months, and I have actually lost weight as a guy I don't want to be skinnier than my wife. It's embarrassing. I should show photos in PM if anyones interested.

Poppy thanks for the links I'll check them out.

#12 ·
Vegan guy here, and no I am not in the same boat as you are. I feel like being blunt today so here we go. Pretty sure everyone on this forum minus you is veg*n by choice. You won't have any luck finding what you're looking for on a vegan forum. I'd suggest something like paleo forums if you want that.

She was mad at you because you torture and kill for those eggs, which you don't even need. To some people it's not worth torturing and killing animals for pleasure.

If you don't like what she makes, learn to cook yourself. I am pretty sure she will be happy if you do. Or find someone else if you cannot handle it.

As to your sex drive, sorry, my systems are all go. Nothing to do with being vegan(I've been for probably around 5 years now).

Also I never eat salad. ever. If you don't want salad don't eat them.

and I am done. GL.

#13 · (Edited)
Vegan gentleman here, not skinny in the least at 6'2 230'ish, general energy levels are higher than a cheeseburger diet would ever be, libido intact, (although i cant imagine theres any correlation other than better blood flow for certain extremities). How old are you, what kind of shape are you in? if you are being forced into a vegan diet, i would imagine that would have more to do with being in poor health.

.... Normally, I don't eat much I pretty much take liquid supplements, because the vegan stuff is nasty sorry I'm not trying to be offensive but as a meat eater, I mean a nice cheese burger is nothing compared to salad. Mostly it's lentils and potatoes, basically I'm eating a lot of chips. Roasted vegetables, and rice. I'm a very picky eater, I eat spinach that is ok.
truthfully, as much as i do enjoy salad, i eat one maybe once a week if that. I've always cooked for myself so maybe that makes it easier but theres ALOT more to a plant based diet than just salads, kale, whatever
other stereotypical vegan foods your thinking of.
if she's the breadwinner, open a cookbook or google some recipes to try so you could atleast try and make her some nice meals instead of whining about how you want cheeseburgers and that you cant please the wife, that you've seemingly bragged to a bunch of strangers that you cheated on.

You seem like a real cool guy. ;) ................sarcasm/

#15 ·
If your doctor is advising you to eat a certain way for your health you should follow his advice. Don't risk your longterm health because your taste buds are throwing a teenage tantrum.

If you've trashed your stomach with too much booze and bad food you're going to have deal with the fact that you may not be able to eat the way you want. No one's going to be impressed that you went off and ate a bunch of food you knew made you sick ... that's just foolish.

As for the relationship with your wife - you seem to be very resentful of her. I'd suggest that this may have something to do with your lacking libido.

#17 ·
A plant based diet is often the prescription for erectile dysfunction. Just google 'plant based diet and erectile dysfunction', the whole page lists in favor of of vegan diets being the solution.

You have to understand that vegan diets are as different as those of omnivores. They're not all whole foods, not all low fat or healthy. Do you ever have processed foods? I'm not saying they're best food, but meat 'subs' can be very tasty and fine in moderation and from your description of health, I would think okay--better than meat.

Do any of these recipes appeal to you? They are using dairy- but they can be subbed for veg oil and soy yogurt
http://www.angelfire.com/country/fauziaspakistan/recipe/vegetarian.html

It's ultimately up to you what you eat. It sounds as if there's a lot more going wrong than just diet

#18 · (Edited by Moderator)
So, you don't like vegan food? Wow, that's tough.

Vegan food is diverse, tasty, healthy, and beautiful.

Animal food is slaughter, torture, and cruelty.

Which do you choose?

Don't you know the ethical issues with animal foods? Educate yourself on veganism. Don't you know the cruelty, torment, and slaughter we inflict on animals when we eat meat? Since when does taste outweigh ethics?

#21 ·
I think you need to eat more. Not getting enough calories can make your overall energy low, which can also zap your sex drive.

It sounds like maybe the meals your wife makes are not meeting the nutritional needs of a man, who is, presumably, larger. I also think that eating more fattening food will help make you feel more satisfied.

Avocados are probably my favorite vegan food. They are creamy, flavorful, and add plenty of fat. Nuts and nut butters (peanut butter, but there are others, too - cashew butter is awesome) can be added to soups and sauces to make them feel more unctuous and satisfying. This is especially true of peanut curries or Asian themed sauces. They seem to go best with nut butters. I was also shocked when I pureed tofu and added some lemon to it as a sour cream replacement - it was great!

As far as meat replacements, I would say to try them but honestly, they for the most part don't taste like meat. Once you've been veg for awhile and have forgotten meat, you may enjoy those more. A notable exception to this is Trader Joes soy chorizo - this stuff tastes like the real thing!

I've also heard that jackfruit makes a mean pulled pork. Fix this with a nice vegan cole slaw (you just need vegan mayo) and I think that' a hearty meal!

http://minimalistbaker.com/bbq-jackfruit-sandwiches-with-avocado-slaw/

As for the eating eggs - I have to say that I understand how hard this is. There are alot of people here who have been at this vegan thing for a long time, and I think you kind of forget about the emotional attachment/cultural significance one might feel for certain foods. Your wife was upset, I'm sure, because she knows the egg industry and also, she has probably told you about it too, and is feeling like it went in one ear and out the other! Nobody likes to feel like they're being ignored. I think if you keep on the vegan diet, you will get used to it. And make sure you are eating enough.

#22 · (Edited by Moderator)
Salma here *Shaans long suffering wife* >:D

Boys will be boys, I requested Shaan to find a community where he can connect and get tips, it seems he is being his usual self and trying to get support from vegans to get out of eating a vegan diet, how bizarre. Currently I am not in London I am working on a project for a Pakistani company so I am in transit at the moment in the Netherlands. I am a vegan for ethical and moral reasons unfortunately I have not been able to convince Shaan, why that is extremely important for me, then again I also haven't managed to convince him not to vote Conservatives :( he calls me a "regressive" leftist feminist. Sorry, I digress at the moment for obvious reasons I do not do the cooking for him as my schedule/work do not allow us much time to be together, so since he has to cook for himself I was hoping he would find an online community and engage with other vegans and maybe get a better understanding of the ethical issues, and gain tips to prepare better vegan food for himself.

I do not want him to starve to death, he is drinking protein shakes mostly and to say he is eating a vegan diet is a stretch of his imagination. Sorry, I have to leave can someone talk some sense into him please? On the ethical/moral issues of why Veganism is important.

Kindest Regards,

Salma

#23 ·
Salma here *Shaans long suffering wife* >:D

Boys will be boys, I requested Shaan to find a community where he can connect and get tips, it seems he is being his usual self and trying to get support from vegans to get out of eating a vegan diet, how bizarre. Currently I am not in London I am working on a project for Bahria Town a Pakistani company so I am in transit at the moment in the Netherlands. I am a vegan for ethical and moral reasons unfortunately I have not been able to convince Shaan, why that is extremely important for me, then again I also haven't managed to convince him not to vote Conservatives :( he calls me a "regressive" leftist feminist. Sorry, I digress at the moment for obvious reasons I do not do the cooking for him as my schedule/work do not allow us much time to be together, so since he has to cook for himself I was hoping he would find an online community and engage with other vegans and maybe get a better understanding of the ethical issues, and gain tips to prepare better vegan food for himself.

I do not want him to starve to death, he is drinking protein shakes mostly and to say he is eating a vegan diet is a stretch of his imagination. Sorry, I have to leave can someone talk some sense into him please? On the ethical/moral issues of why Veganism is important.

Kindest Regards,

Salma
He should watch some documentaries, Cowspiracy, Forks over Knives etc

#29 ·
I think your sex drive thing is psychological, maybe because you feel like your wife is controlling you. Or maybe it's because of the health problems that led you to a vegan diet in the first place.

Low energy is probably related to not eating enough calories. You probably simply need more food.

You like salad cream...isn't that like mayonaise? Try Just Mayo or Vegenaise.

Look up vegan recipes that look appealing and ask your wife to try them, or learn to cook them yourself.

#32 · (Edited)
Instead of focusing on how much you hate being vegan how about you think of some actual tasty things you want sometimes? Don't focus on what you can't have focus on some of the few good things you know about you can have. And make some food instead of relying on her. If your sex drive dropped I doubt it's from lack of meat and more from lack of calories. You're probably not eating much and relying on her for food, often wondering what you could possibly eat. Make some oatmeal with fruit and cinnamon, have some black bean burgers topped with mushrooms, and relish with baked seasoned fries, hummus with peta bread, vegan chickpea potato and spinach curry over rice, pasta with mushrooms and garlic, onion rings, peanut butter jam sandwiches etc. You don't hate being vegan, you hate the vegan food your wife makes you. As a fellow male I already had a strong sex drive before being vegan. Afterwards I find it annoyingly strong. My girlfriend would never have to ask if I'm in the mood cause I'll be ready in a second if I wasn't before.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.