Forum Jump: 
 4Likes
  • 1 Post By LedBoots
  • 1 Post By Ladyjay
  • 1 Post By LedBoots
  • 1 Post By Naturebound

#1 Old 01-31-2016, 10:31 AM

Smile Hello from Louisiana!

Hi! I'm Jordan and I'm a new vegan. I've been vegan the past month and some change, but I was vegan from Jan-Mar '15, also. It is so hard for me to stay committed to this lifestyle when I have zero support. When all my friends constantly go out to eat places that have nothing but crappy salads for me to eat, I started to lose them because I bailed all the time. Anyway, I just wanted to try to find some support online to help me stay motivated and live in line with my morals.
Hope you all have a wonderful day!

-Jordan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-31-2016, 03:12 PM
Embracer of the Veggies

Welcome Jordan!!! You are from my home state!!
#3 Old 01-31-2016, 03:16 PM
Not such a Beginner ;)

OK you two Louisiana peeps, any vegan gumbo recipes?
bananas! likes this.

#4 Old 01-31-2016, 05:58 PM
Vegan since 1991

Welcome aboard!

_________

“Under the twinkling trees was a table covered with Guatemalan fabric, roses in juice jars, wax rose candles from Tijuana and plates of food — Weetzie's Vegetable Love-Rice, My Secret Agent Lover Man's guacamole, Dirk's homemade pizza, Duck's fig and berry salad and Surfer Surprise Protein Punch, Brandy-Lynn's pink macaroni, Coyote's cornmeal cakes, Ping's mushu plum crepes and Valentine's Jamaican plantain pie."

from Witch Baby, Francesca Lia Block, 1991
#5 Old 01-31-2016, 06:07 PM
Embracer of the Veggies

Quote:
Originally Posted by LedBoots View Post
LedBoots I wish I did!! I have been thinking about it. Just too lazy to actually put it in motion. My Omni gumbo back in the day was to die for. Maybe one day.
LedBoots likes this.
#6 Old 01-31-2016, 06:39 PM
Beginner

welcome, good for you! It is tough with friends and family...my most awkward moment so far was when a friend baked cookies for us (with butter) and was waiting for me to eat one. She had forgotten my change. Sorry to rant on your thread. Anyway, I hope you feel more supported this time, it is great that you are re-committing!
#7 Old 01-31-2016, 06:49 PM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladyjay View Post
LedBoots I wish I did!! I have been thinking about it. Just too lazy to actually put it in motion. My Omni gumbo back in the day was to die for. Maybe one day.
What spices did you use? I have attempted vegan gumbo a couple of times, with Field Roast veg sausage one time, the other times without. Was better with.

I use okra, bell peppers, green beans, celery, tomatoes, parsnips if I have them, carrots, other veggies I have at the time. The gumbo came out thick and hearty, but I just felt like the spicing of the dish was the hard part for me.
Thalassa4 likes this.
#8 Old 02-01-2016, 02:22 AM
Veggie Regular

Hi Jordan and welcome!

I'm not sure if you are familiar with any of the vegan/vegetarian friendly restaurant site listings, so I will share some links below that include listings for Louisiana. Perhaps your friends would be willing to eat at some of these places on occasion?

In the event that I have to go to a restaurant or other social gathering where there is little to know vegan options for me, I will bring along an energy bar, nuts, and/or fruit and eat a little more ahead of time. Sometimes I will sip on coffee. Having some sort of drink in hand helps me not feel so awkward when everyone else is eating. Sometimes if I know ahead where I will be meeting with people (ie retirement parties etc) I will call the restaurant and inquire about my options and if the cooks will be willing to alter menu items. I have also asked this right at the restaurant.

http://www.happycow.net/north_america/usa/louisiana/

https://www.vrg.org/restaurant/Louisiana.php

http://www.vegdining.com/GetRestList...1a970c7b234c62
LedBoots likes this.

In the end, only kindness matters. - Jewel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#9 Old 02-01-2016, 05:54 AM
Lifelong vegetarian

W e l c o m e !

-
-
-
-
-
-

My usual answer: I have never heard a convincing reason to eat meat.
#10 Old 02-01-2016, 10:32 AM

Thanks for all the replies! I really appreciate it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naturebound View Post
Hi Jordan and welcome!

I'm not sure if you are familiar with any of the vegan/vegetarian friendly restaurant site listings, so I will share some links below that include listings for Louisiana. Perhaps your friends would be willing to eat at some of these places on occasion?

In the event that I have to go to a restaurant or other social gathering where there is little to know vegan options for me, I will bring along an energy bar, nuts, and/or fruit and eat a little more ahead of time. Sometimes I will sip on coffee. Having some sort of drink in hand helps me not feel so awkward when everyone else is eating. Sometimes if I know ahead where I will be meeting with people (ie retirement parties etc) I will call the restaurant and inquire about my options and if the cooks will be willing to alter menu items. I have also asked this right at the restaurant.

http://www.happycow.net/north_america/usa/louisiana/

https://www.vrg.org/restaurant/Louisiana.php

http://www.vegdining.com/GetRestList...1a970c7b234c62
Thanks! I knew about happy cow but not the others. I've been bringing snacks everywhere with me, which helps. I would feel so awkward asking about vegan options at a restaurant. I usually just try to figure it out. Being vegan in this area is very rare, so when I mention that I am vegan I usually just get weird looks...

Quote:
I've never made a gumbo with or without meat, so I have no tips, sadly! I've never been much of a gumbo fan because my family put organs in it, which has freaked me out since I was little. Guess the guilty feeling of eating animals has been with me my whole life.
#11 Old 02-01-2016, 05:17 PM
Embracer of the Veggies

Quote:
What spices did you use? I have attempted vegan gumbo a couple of times, with Field Roast veg sausage one time, the other times without. Was better with.

I use okra, bell peppers, green beans, celery, tomatoes, parsnips if I have them, carrots, other veggies I have at the time. The gumbo came out thick and hearty, but I just felt like the spicing of the dish was the hard part for me.
Tony Chachere's (creole seasoning), Onion powder, garlic powder or granulated garlic, gumbo file'. If I was feeling particularly fancy I would use a little rosemary as well. That as an Omni depending on what meat was present. I would even keep the veggies kinda bare bones. Okra, Bell peppers, celery, onion, tomatoes, baby bella mushrooms. Maybe some shredded seitan chickn flavored. Keeping it minimal.
#12 Old 03-17-2016, 05:15 PM
Veggie Recycler

Zatarans Red Beans and Rice can easily be made vegan, with vegan butter or olive oil.

Vegan beignets I found from Meet the Shannons:

Vegan Beignets
1 Cup Soymilk
1 1/2 Cup Flour (you'll need more to flour your surfaces)
2 Tablespoons Margarine
2 Tablespoons Brown Sugar
1 Tablespoon Applesauce
1 Tablespoon EnerG Egg Replacer
3/4 Teaspoon Nutmeg
1/2 Teaspoon Salt
1/2 Package Dry Yeast
Olive Oil for Frying
Powdered Sugar for Topping"

Could probably also used mashed banana or other vegan egg replacer (like the new VeganEgg).

There are multiple vegan biscuits and gravy recipes on line (or Lay's Southern Biscuits and Gravy award winning flavored chips for lacto-veg, which have no pig fat).

Chicory coffee is vegan with soy milk.

Gardein Fishless filets are delicious, and vegan, and have Omega 3s.

Gravies can be reproduced with oil, flour roux, plus salt, pepper, veggie broth, and nutritional yeast, or some brands of mushroom gravy.

I'm not from NOLA, but am a generations old Southerner, with sympathetic food nostalgia.

There are ways to prepare "catfish" and red beans and rice, chicory coffee and beignets, rice with gravy, biscuits and gravy and other dishes without eating animal products.

In restaurants, I recommend the Happy Cow app...though I know rural Louisiana is quite different from the city, it still might help in options other than salad. Also look to PETA 2 for veganizing fast food.

Last edited by Thalassa4; 03-17-2016 at 05:19 PM.
#13 Old 03-17-2016, 05:17 PM
Veggie Recycler

Quote:

Sounds good. I love roasted okra in the oven with nothing but oil and salt. A vegan breading can also be made for fry ups, though.

Tags
louisiana , new vegan , Vegan , vegan friends

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page