• 1 Post By MadamSarcastra
  • 1 Post By Naturebound
  • 1 Post By tiredgoddess
  • 1 Post By @rno
  • 1 Post By Naturebound

#1 Old 11-01-2015, 02:15 PM
Cat

Talking Hiya! :D New Here!

Hello! I hope you are all having a nice day/night!

I decided that I would look around for a good Vegetarian/Vegan forum, and this one looked by far the best... so I thought I would check it out!

I want to be 100% vegan, but I have some struggles with it... basically that include stress from family thinking it's extreme/turning down their offers, getting bored with my food, and simply not having enough money and/or motivation to go to the grocery store.

I want to be 100% vegan for the animals first, and my health second.

I suffer from Major Depression (possibly PMDD as well) and Generalized Anxiety Disorder... I definitely notice a HUUUGE difference in my mood when I eat strictly vegan... ESPECIALLY high carb, low fat!

BUT...

I either get bored with my food and can't stomach it... or my menstrual cycle kicks in full force, and I am wanting alllll the wrong things. :/

So, it's a struggle...

I definitely need to lose weight. I weigh around 174 lbs, and I am 5'3", so... not good! Not extremely bad, but definitely not good. u_u

ANYWAY.

I would love to get some motivation and pointers and the like by going through this site.

I basically struggle alone with this. I do not know any IRL vegans/vegetarians... at all... lol

So, I'm hoping that by coming on here, I will no longer struggle alone...

Sorry if a lot of that was hard to understand. x_x My son likes to interrupt me constantly while I type, so I am frequently losing my train of thought... haha
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 11-01-2015, 02:22 PM
Veg-head since 10/14/14

Send a message via Yahoo to MadamSarcastra
Hi, Amber! Welcome! Take a stroll around the site.... it's pretty cool here.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~ MadamSarcastra
#3 Old 11-01-2015, 05:19 PM
Veggie Regular

Welcome Amber! I already posted on your other thread RE bored with food.

My family thought it was too extreme at first too. In fact I have had an eating disorder for many years, and they thought this was an extension of that. Once I learned to cook a TON of awesome vegan dishes and shared many with them, they changed their minds lol. AND I was able to get up to a healthy weight for the first time in six years as a vegan, not an omnivore, which put their minds at ease. I think a lot of it is that people just don't understand what being vegan entails. If you take the focus off what you can't have, and focus on all the things that are possible as a vegan, it is far more encouraging. Patience with family and friends is also key, as well as being patient with yourself. It is a big lifestyle change and everyone adjusts differently. I spent a TON of time on Vegweb.com looking at recipes in the early days lol.

Hang in there! It gets much easier trust me!

In the end, only kindness matters. - Jewel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

#4 Old 11-01-2015, 05:30 PM
Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naturebound View Post
Welcome Amber! I already posted on your other thread RE bored with food.

My family thought it was too extreme at first too. In fact I have had an eating disorder for many years, and they thought this was an extension of that. Once I learned to cook a TON of awesome vegan dishes and shared many with them, they changed their minds lol. AND I was able to get up to a healthy weight for the first time in six years as a vegan, not an omnivore, which put their minds at ease. I think a lot of it is that people just don't understand what being vegan entails. If you take the focus off what you can't have, and focus on all the things that are possible as a vegan, it is far more encouraging. Patience with family and friends is also key, as well as being patient with yourself. It is a big lifestyle change and everyone adjusts differently. I spent a TON of time on Vegweb.com looking at recipes in the early days lol.

Hang in there! It gets much easier trust me!
Thank you for the encouragement, and I will definitely look into vegweb.com! I will go check it out as soon as I change the time settings on here. It's confusing me! hahaha

And about family, I live in the south of the USA, so eating a variety of fried meats and fried... everything... or buttered everything... or gravy-covered everything... is ESSENTIAL or at least a staple for every meal. xD Don't forget dessert! x_x

It's kind of an ingrained part of our culture to never turn down food... So, when I simply say that I don't want to eat something because I don't eat meat, it's as if I am being rude and shunning their cooking. Even people with food allergies around here aren't taken seriously by family. If you can't eat a dish because you're allergic to peanuts, you will get a scoff for being uppity... hahaha
#5 Old 11-01-2015, 08:22 PM
Omniscent

welcome!
#6 Old 11-02-2015, 12:04 AM
Lifelong vegetarian

W e l c o m e !

-
-
-
-
-
-

My usual answer: I have never heard a convincing reason to eat meat.
#7 Old 11-02-2015, 02:37 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amber Marcengill Morales View Post
Thank you for the encouragement, and I will definitely look into vegweb.com! I will go check it out as soon as I change the time settings on here. It's confusing me! hahaha

And about family, I live in the south of the USA, so eating a variety of fried meats and fried... everything... or buttered everything... or gravy-covered everything... is ESSENTIAL or at least a staple for every meal. xD Don't forget dessert! x_x

It's kind of an ingrained part of our culture to never turn down food... So, when I simply say that I don't want to eat something because I don't eat meat, it's as if I am being rude and shunning their cooking. Even people with food allergies around here aren't taken seriously by family. If you can't eat a dish because you're allergic to peanuts, you will get a scoff for being uppity... hahaha
Maybe you could try making something and offering it to your family (assuming you haven't already). There are actually quite a few very rich vegan foods with gravy and vegan butter (Earth Balance is a vegan butter that is popular). One of my favorite dishes to make for omnivores is pancakes. I have even made biscuits and gravy vegan style. A week ago I made a vegan version of tator tot hotdish (casserole) for my husband's birthday because he LOVES that dish, even though it is not my style at all. I made a simple gravy using white flour and Earth Balance butter and added almond milk and seasonings like onion powder and sage to make a thick gravy somewhat reminiscent of cream of mushroom soup mix. I used Tofutti vegan sour cream in there, green beans, onion, and organic tator tots. And I sprinkled the top with Daiya vegan "cheese" shreds and he loved it!

It is hard to go against the grain, I hear ya there. I am very shy and introverted in real life, and do not like to bring a lot of attention to myself. I had to attend a meeting at work where lunch was provided and it was a pizza dripping with cheese and pepperoni, and coke to drink, none of which I consume. I knew ahead that the meal provided would not be vegan because I inquired, so I brought my own small energy bar and an apple so I wouldn't go hungry but it was enough to tide me over without bringing a huge meal in to the meeting room but being discrete. However, when they brought the pizzas in and everyone except me got in line (there are almost 40 people in my dept.), I was a bit uncomfortable because people stared. Not everyone there knew I was vegan. It's times like those that I draw on my commitment to be an ethical vegan regardless of the hardships, which really aren't much compared to what so many animals suffer, and our environment and laborers around the world working for starvation wages in terrible conditions. You just learn as you go along to find ways to work around issues like family get togethers, people offering you food etc. I was quiet about being vegan my first month of it, while I really educated myself about why I was doing this and why it was so important to me, so that when I did come out of the closet I could do it with confidence and stand up to the barrage of questions and comments from others. The trick is not being too pushy or preachy but not being a doormat either. It can be a challenge, but that too becomes easier the more experienced you become. Veggieboards is a great resource for when you find yourself in those situations, because most of us have been there.

In the end, only kindness matters. - Jewel

Tags
new member , struggles , Vegan , vegetarian

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page