• 1 Post By Radharc
  • 1 Post By mrgrimm
  • 1 Post By @rno
  • 1 Post By SteveW
  • 1 Post By dormouse

#1 Old 08-14-2015, 08:32 PM
artisan vegan princess

Talking week-old vegan :)

hi! i'm izzy & i recently became vegan a week ago after watching a video on youtube called something like "101 reasons to become vegan". it completely altered my train of thought on the dairy, meat, and any other animal product industries out there. i'm so happy to have made the switch, and it has been fun and easy for me. i basically turned vegan overnight, so the next morning i told my parents i wanted to go vegan, told them why, and they immediately took me to whole-foods for some exploring! my family decided to go non-dairy shortly after. anyways i'm so excited to advance in this lifestyle and i still need to find alternatives for many of my usual purchases like soap, makeup, toothpaste, etc. if anyone could offer me advice for beginning this journey it would be greatly appreciated!
veggie man and frannie like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-14-2015, 08:52 PM
Super Moderator

Welcome to Veggieboards and congrats on your decision to go vegan, you rock!

Leaping Bunny is a great site that has lists of tons of cruelty free household and cosmetic products: http://www.leapingbunny.org/

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
#3 Old 08-14-2015, 11:00 PM
Vegan since 1991

Hi Izzy,

Mercy For Animals as a free, beautifully-written vegan guide. The nutrition portion of the guide begins on page 7: http://www.mercyforanimals.org/files/VSG.pdf

waterbunni likes this.

_________

“Under the twinkling trees was a table covered with Guatemalan fabric, roses in juice jars, wax rose candles from Tijuana and plates of food — Weetzie's Vegetable Love-Rice, My Secret Agent Lover Man's guacamole, Dirk's homemade pizza, Duck's fig and berry salad and Surfer Surprise Protein Punch, Brandy-Lynn's pink macaroni, Coyote's cornmeal cakes, Ping's mushu plum crepes and Valentine's Jamaican plantain pie."

from Witch Baby, Francesca Lia Block, 1991

#4 Old 08-15-2015, 04:34 AM
Veggie Regular

Hi waterbunni and welcome! How awesome is that that your family is so supportive and helpful! Give them an extra hug from me will you?

I just mentioned this on another thread, but I found a few books very helpful for learning how to meet my nutritional needs as a vegan:

"Becoming Vegan: The Complete Guide to Adopting a Healthy Plant Based Diet" by Brenda Davis, RD

"Vegan for Life: Everything You Need to Know to Be Healthy and Fit on a Plant-Based Diet" by Jack Norris and Virginia Messina

I also read lots of vegan blogs and cookbooks (libraries are getting better and better at stocking a lot of vegan cookbooks) to learn what food staples to keep around and basic recipes etc. I LOVE making pancakes and there are a TON of vegan ones, and I also love to eat healthy whole food meals too. The key for me personally has been to keep an open mind and try everything and not be too restrictive, but keep it relatively healthy. Cost is a factor for me, and beans, rice, oats, and some fresh/frozen fruits and vegetables are relatively inexpensive. For plant milks, soy milk is the least expensive and probably has the biggest nutritional bang for your buck. Almond milk is becoming more popular too and not as expensive as it used to be. I love that I can occasionally buy vegan mayonnaise at mainstream groceries now...Just Mayo is an eggless vegan mayo that is awesome! And I can find them in a lot of stores like Target, Seven Eleven, the Dollar Store...

If you can't afford to replace everything (toiletries, leather etc) right off the bat don't feel bad or like less of a vegan. It can take a while to replace items. Use up what you have unless it makes you uncomfortable to do so. I have some old silk blouses and scarves to local churches with clothing drives and so on. I recycled some harsh cleaning stuff by bringing it to my city's waste management facility. They have a program where you can bring that stuff to a room there and others come and pick out stuff to use for free. I keep my cleaning supplies simple...lemon juice, vinegar, washing soda, essential oils (tea tree, lavender, peppermint). I also use Kirks Castile soaps, Dr. Bronners soap, Planet Earth dishwashing liquid. Kiss My Face has some great toothpaste and floss products. They even have sunblock. A little goes a long way with all that stuff.

I also like to use "Vegdining" and "HappyCow" apps and online to find stores and restaurants in my area that have vegan friendly food and other items.

I wish you the best in your transition! Hope to see you around!
waterbunni likes this.

In the end, only kindness matters. - Jewel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#5 Old 08-15-2015, 05:17 AM

Hi Izzy, I'm only 2 weeks into my own journey as a vegan, and have found this site and the people on it a great help! I use No-Ad sunscreen which doesn't have a leaping bunny (that I noticed), but was recommended to me on this board and I made my own bug spray with essential oils, vegetable glycerin, witch hazel, and boiled water. I also use Dr. Bronners soaps and Seventh Generation dish-washing liquid (not dishwasher safe). My toothpaste is all natural and vegan from a specialty store in my area. I haven't made it to replacing other cleaning products yet. Like Naturebound said, don't worry about replacing things all at once. Use what you have if you like and, in the meantime, research what your new product will be.
waterbunni likes this.

Holding on to anger is like drinking poison and expecting the other person to die.
-Buddha
#6 Old 08-15-2015, 05:27 AM
Beginner

Wow great news! A little over a month into my journey - doing very good on the food part but realize it will be a never ending journey of knowledge for us...especially for the products that we modern humans use.

Here is a link to a website I have found very helpful. The man behind it is amazing and is personally responsible for my transition, along with many many thousands of others around the planet!
http://www.adaptt.org/
waterbunni likes this.
#7 Old 08-15-2015, 07:18 AM
Lifelong vegetarian

W e l c o m e !

-
-
-
-
-
-
waterbunni likes this.

My usual answer: I have never heard a convincing reason to eat meat.
#8 Old 08-15-2015, 10:05 AM
Beginner

Hope you stick with it and welcome!
waterbunni likes this.
#9 Old 08-16-2015, 09:24 AM
Veggie Regular

Welcome! I've been vegan for five months and vegetarian for seven years before that. You have found the right place for support! Don't hesitate to ask for advice. There is a bit of a learning curve, but it gets easier.
waterbunni likes this.
#10 Old 08-16-2015, 07:36 PM
Beginner

Hi! Ive been a vegan for a month. I started a blog to help me get help as well as give it. Check it out: venusvegan.wordpress.com

Tags
makeup , newbie , noob , Vegan , week

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page