VeggieBoards banner

New Plant Based!

708 views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  @rno 
#1 ·
I have been living a plant based lifestyle for about three months now. After watching a documentary on Netflix, Fed Up, I had vowed to give up processed foods & sugar. Luckily for me, the recommended titles after Fed Up were Forks Over Knives & Vegucated. I am convinced that living a plant based lifestyle is great for my health, the environment, and animals.

My husband is kind of on board with this. He understands the health benefits of plant based, but doesn't have the discipline. I do 99% of the cooking and grocery shopping now, so at home he does not have a choice on what to eat. If we go out or he picks up something for himself, it almost always had meat in it. I would appreciate any tips on making the transition easier for him.

Since adapting a plant based diet, I have more energy, my skin is clear, and I sleep great. I have also had a lot of fun trying out new recipes and making store bought ingredients from scratch such as coconut flour. Plant based dieting has also overflown into other aspects of my life. I now compost, heavily recycle, reuse jars & bags, say no to plastic whenever possible, and have a paperless kitchen all in efforts to become for sustainable. I found having meat and diary in my diet not only made me tired and unhealthy, but it also made me lazy and in need of convenience.

See less See more
#2 ·
Hi and welcome. :) Does your husband want to go veg too? The fact that you do most of the shopping and cooking makes it easy at home, but you really can't force him to go veg.

If you plan to have children, realize that this is where the omnivore/vegetarian problems often begin. The omnivore nearly always "win" and the children eat meat.

#3 ·
He is a very easy going person and doesn't necessarily want to go vegan but also doesn't put up a fight to have meat in the house. We discussed that once we have children, they will be raised 100% veg. He agrees with me in that if they know nothing different, they won't be craving the meat like he does and that is a healthy choice when raising a family. He is okay with keeping the home free of animal by products & fully supports me. I just wish I could get him to not eat meat whatsoever to fully understand how great he could feel being completely veg. He is okay with one brand of tofu dogs (I don't like to use a lot of the meat substitutes unless they are natural) but would still rather have a "real" hot dog...

I just hope he will always stay as tolerant of my dietary choices and maybe one day will switch over too. He even said that he can't deny the health benefits.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.