Forum Jump: 
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By xPigeon Swarmx
  • 1 Post By LuciBow
  • 1 Post By LuciBow

#1 Old 06-03-2015, 03:12 PM

Red face Hello future friends~

Hey there. My name is Luci.
So a couple weeks ago I decided I wanted to become vegan. Much to the dismay of everyone I've ever known. With everyone in my life bearing down on me, teasing me and criticizing me I realize I really need to find a place to be accepted. So I found this board.

I will admit that at this time while I do not consume any animal products, I am still researching and looking to replace my material things. I've never owned more than a couple pairs of shoes but I have no idea what they are made with. Most of my clothes I'm pretty sure are cotton, but generally it's all hand-me-down stuff I've been wearing for years. Even still, I don't know what most are made out of either.

I still have my shampoo and bodywash to go through, but as soon as they are out, I will search for cruelty free versions.

Make up is easy for me because I don't wear it and never have. It's expensive and time consuming.

To be honest, after learning what happens to animals, how they suffer, this was an easy choice for me. I admit I never much liked the taste of meat or eggs. Milk I did love, and such with cheese, but it's not worth it. After only 2 weeks of not consuming milk all the stomach problems I used to have have disappeared also. Guess I was intolerant, heh.

Anyway, I'm very sad that I've lived my whole life ignorantly eating animals. I would always tell everyone I could never go Vegan, and I really thought they (we) were extremist propoganda psychos who hated people. Now I regret my thoughts and actions but I guess I can't change who I was. I was so blind. I still have a lot to learn. Literally all I've been doing since I stopped eating meat is research and research and research. I want to know everything I can about this because this is suddenly so important to me.

My biggest struggle I suppose is, as a person who has suffered depression their whole life, I have been very underweight and don't eat much. I can't cook. I'm terrible at it really. I'm afraid that lately I'm not getting enough calories. I didn't get enough before either- I just don't have much of an appetite. Though that's changed slightly since I've been eating fruit everyday. It's not a lot of calories but it's something. I'm gonna start buying some almonds and cooking rice. I hope to learn easy recipes here and maybe try some new fruits and veggies. Regardless, I think I'm optimistic. There is a Veggie Grill close to where I live (Beaverton, OR) and I ate there for the first time and the food was delicious. I thought I hated Tofu. But now I know if I can learn to cook it, and maybe get the right brand... that I can enjoy it. Beans are still a problem for me. I've never liked any beans, except the kind you find in mochi balls. (Adzuki beans???) I hope those are vegan. If not oh well.

Anyway I'm rambling. I've just had NO ONE to share my feelings with. I'm a very anxious non-confrontational person who hates conflict so while my friends are hating on me for my decisions I can barely say anything back because I might end up crying. :/

Okay I'll stop talking now. I hope you all will have me and I hope to learn new things here <3
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-03-2015, 06:56 PM
Veggie Regular

Hello Lucibow! Welcome to veggieboards.
#3 Old 06-03-2015, 07:34 PM
Vegan since 1991

Hi LuciBow,

Welcome aboard!

There are actually some vegetarian/vegan social groups in your area:

Portland Metro Veggies: http://www.meetup.com/Portland-Metro-Veggies/

Viva La Vegan Portland: http://www.meetup.com/Viva-la-Vegan/

PDX Vegan Girls: http://www.meetup.com/PDX-Vegan-Girls/

_________

“Under the twinkling trees was a table covered with Guatemalan fabric, roses in juice jars, wax rose candles from Tijuana and plates of food — Weetzie's Vegetable Love-Rice, My Secret Agent Lover Man's guacamole, Dirk's homemade pizza, Duck's fig and berry salad and Surfer Surprise Protein Punch, Brandy-Lynn's pink macaroni, Coyote's cornmeal cakes, Ping's mushu plum crepes and Valentine's Jamaican plantain pie."

from Witch Baby, Francesca Lia Block, 1991

#4 Old 06-03-2015, 08:02 PM

Welcome!
#5 Old 06-03-2015, 08:46 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuciBow View Post
Hey there. My name is Luci.
So a couple weeks ago I decided I wanted to become vegan. Much to the dismay of everyone I've ever known. With everyone in my life bearing down on me, teasing me and criticizing me I realize I really need to find a place to be accepted. So I found this board.

I will admit that at this time while I do not consume any animal products, I am still researching and looking to replace my material things. I've never owned more than a couple pairs of shoes but I have no idea what they are made with. Most of my clothes I'm pretty sure are cotton, but generally it's all hand-me-down stuff I've been wearing for years. Even still, I don't know what most are made out of either.

I still have my shampoo and bodywash to go through, but as soon as they are out, I will search for cruelty free versions.

Make up is easy for me because I don't wear it and never have. It's expensive and time consuming.

To be honest, after learning what happens to animals, how they suffer, this was an easy choice for me. I admit I never much liked the taste of meat or eggs. Milk I did love, and such with cheese, but it's not worth it. After only 2 weeks of not consuming milk all the stomach problems I used to have have disappeared also. Guess I was intolerant, heh.

Anyway, I'm very sad that I've lived my whole life ignorantly eating animals. I would always tell everyone I could never go Vegan, and I really thought they (we) were extremist propoganda psychos who hated people. Now I regret my thoughts and actions but I guess I can't change who I was. I was so blind. I still have a lot to learn. Literally all I've been doing since I stopped eating meat is research and research and research. I want to know everything I can about this because this is suddenly so important to me.

My biggest struggle I suppose is, as a person who has suffered depression their whole life, I have been very underweight and don't eat much. I can't cook. I'm terrible at it really. I'm afraid that lately I'm not getting enough calories. I didn't get enough before either- I just don't have much of an appetite. Though that's changed slightly since I've been eating fruit everyday. It's not a lot of calories but it's something. I'm gonna start buying some almonds and cooking rice. I hope to learn easy recipes here and maybe try some new fruits and veggies. Regardless, I think I'm optimistic. There is a Veggie Grill close to where I live (Beaverton, OR) and I ate there for the first time and the food was delicious. I thought I hated Tofu. But now I know if I can learn to cook it, and maybe get the right brand... that I can enjoy it. Beans are still a problem for me. I've never liked any beans, except the kind you find in mochi balls. (Adzuki beans???) I hope those are vegan. If not oh well.

Anyway I'm rambling. I've just had NO ONE to share my feelings with. I'm a very anxious non-confrontational person who hates conflict so while my friends are hating on me for my decisions I can barely say anything back because I might end up crying. :/

Okay I'll stop talking now. I hope you all will have me and I hope to learn new things here <3
Hi, Luci,

My name's Noah. I live in Portland. I've been back to veganism for a couple of months now. I usually cook for myself, but I've eaten out a few times. Let me know if you want any recommendations. I'll tell you one thing: Hotlips has the best vegan pizza ever! They also have a whole wheat crust option. It's good!

And of course, New Seasons and Whole Foods have premade stuff, salad bars, sandwiches, et cetera. Food Front, too.

I've also been coping with depression my whole life. Have you tried turmeric? It actually helps -- in food or in a tincture. Be sure to get your omega 3s. I put ground flax in my oat meal. Chi seeds, hemp seeds and walnuts are good too. Getting these is essentially for mood. If that doesn't work, your body might not be synthesizing it right. In that case you might need to add an algal oil supplement. I haven't had to. My mood has been pretty awesome, actually. I've been doing hemp seeds, walnuts, flax and chia.

Hemp seeds are good on salads, and hemp milk is one of my favorite plant milks. Hemp seeds are a good complete protein, too.

You might want to go to new seasons or whole foods and get a vegan vitamin b12 supplement. Vegan vitamin d3 also. Getting low levels of these can negatively effect your mood. Our livers might keep stores of b12 from when we ate meat, but, I figure it's best not to risk it. I take b12 every day and d when the sun isn't out. You're body makes it from the sun if you get sun. You probably know all this stuff from your research, but I figured I'd let you know just in case.

Good thing you have a vegegrill near you. I still haven't eaten there.

Again, let me know if you need recommendations. Veggieboards is definitely a good place for support. Sounds like you don't have much support in the 3D world as of now.

I still have some leather shoes and wool stuff, too. I'm going to slowly give it away as I acquire vegan alternatives.

Anyway, feels good to be vegan, doesn't it?
veggie man likes this.
#6 Old 06-03-2015, 09:13 PM
Beginner

Hi Luci,

Welcome, and thank you for sharing your story!

I'm going to limit myself to one easy suggestion. Save up if you have to, and buy a good quality rice cooker.

I have a 3-cup Zojirushi model. It makes food prep and eating healthily so much easier.

Just dump in some brown rice, white rice, or quinoa, pile veggies on top, some lentils or peas, maybe add some coconut oil, a few spices, and you have a great meal!
#7 Old 06-03-2015, 10:07 PM
Veggie Regular

Hey. Do make sure to get enough calories. I keep some nuts/seeds around me that I snack on throughout the day.

Also personally I still own a pair of leather winter boots.....or I assume they're leather at least. I've had them for 4-5 years now. Of course I don't purchase new animal products but I feel like throwing out a perfectly good pair of shoes is a waste. You should do whatever makes you comfortable though.

Also since you mentioned you weren't good, not that you hated it, learning how to cook isn't too bad. You can start with simpler things. You mentioned rice for example. Grab some veggies, throw them in a pan to cook for a bit then add the rice+some soy sauce, ginger, or whatever spices you like to make a sorta stir fry thing. It's a pretty easy one to start with.

Anyways welcome
#8 Old 06-04-2015, 12:35 AM
Lifelong vegetarian

W e l c o m e

-
-
-
-
-
-

My usual answer: I have never heard a convincing reason to eat meat.
#9 Old 06-04-2015, 02:27 AM
Veggie Regular

Hi LuciBow and welcome to VeggieBoards.

My good wishes on your journey into becoming a healthy vegan.

Leedsveg.
#10 Old 06-04-2015, 10:52 AM

@David ~ Ah I figured as much. Portland area is full of awesome people. However I've never been a social butterfly, more socially awkward irl, but perhaps when I'm more confident I can do something like this ^^;
@pigeon ~ It's lovely to meet you Noah. Thank you for the super helpful suggestions. I have in fact not tried turmeric. Not sure what it tastes like. Perhaps I've eaten something with it cooked in, but I wouldn't know. I shall seek it out. I recently found a vegan B12 supplement, it was $22 o__o But I heard I really need it, so, yeah. My coconut milk is fortified with it, though. I've been putting coconut milk with my oatmeal.
I haven't found a vegan D3 yet though, but I haven't gone to a specialty store yet. Perhaps I will hit up Natural Goods since they are within walking distance of my apartment. (I don't have a car or a license ^^; but I live close to a lot of store so walking isn't so bad ^^) And yes it feels SO good. It's like a huge weight is lifted off of my shoulders. I've been trying and failing my whole life to stick to something worthwhile, but lack of motivation to better myself and such has always been an issue. But now that I'm doing something for something I guess, bigger than me, I feel like I can stay committed. :3
@veggie man ~ Thanks, I will definitely do that. I actually don't know what kind of rice I like, I've only ever had just plain white rice that I don't know the name of and sushi rice. (Speaking of which, I hope most sushi places wont have a problem with me ordering veggie sushi. My friends love to eat at sushi places a lot) But there is an asian market close to me and I plan on getting some rice from there. I hope they have brown rice like you suggested. I dunno if there is more than one type. Also I don't think I've ever eaten a lentil. o-o I need to change that!
@odizzido ~ Yeah I don't hate cooking. It's just a skill I was never taught. So, trial and error! I never got used to a variety of anything growing up. I hope to majorly change that. I just know my body is going to love me now.
@jasmin , Madness, rno, leedsveg~ Thank you so much for the warm welcomes <3

Last night I cooked my first meatless spaghetti, as spaghetti was one of my favorite meals and the only thing I knew how to actually cook. I used eggplant, which I had NEVER used before. (An american eggplant, so it was big) I used the cheapest can of tomatoes in the grocery store because it was the only one that didn't have sugar or HFC in it. (And I heard sugar can be processed with animal parts >_<)
Anyway it turned out... delicious! I'm so happy about this!
veggie man likes this.
#11 Old 06-04-2015, 12:46 PM
Beginner

Quote:
@David ~ Ah I figured as much. Portland area is full of awesome people. However I've never been a social butterfly, more socially awkward irl, but perhaps when I'm more confident I can do something like this ^^;
@pigeon ~ It's lovely to meet you Noah. Thank you for the super helpful suggestions. I have in fact not tried turmeric. Not sure what it tastes like. Perhaps I've eaten something with it cooked in, but I wouldn't know. I shall seek it out. I recently found a vegan B12 supplement, it was $22 o__o But I heard I really need it, so, yeah. My coconut milk is fortified with it, though. I've been putting coconut milk with my oatmeal.
I haven't found a vegan D3 yet though, but I haven't gone to a specialty store yet. Perhaps I will hit up Natural Goods since they are within walking distance of my apartment. (I don't have a car or a license ^^; but I live close to a lot of store so walking isn't so bad ^^) And yes it feels SO good. It's like a huge weight is lifted off of my shoulders. I've been trying and failing my whole life to stick to something worthwhile, but lack of motivation to better myself and such has always been an issue. But now that I'm doing something for something I guess, bigger than me, I feel like I can stay committed. :3
@veggie man ~ Thanks, I will definitely do that. I actually don't know what kind of rice I like, I've only ever had just plain white rice that I don't know the name of and sushi rice. (Speaking of which, I hope most sushi places wont have a problem with me ordering veggie sushi. My friends love to eat at sushi places a lot) But there is an asian market close to me and I plan on getting some rice from there. I hope they have brown rice like you suggested. I dunno if there is more than one type. Also I don't think I've ever eaten a lentil. o-o I need to change that!
@odizzido ~ Yeah I don't hate cooking. It's just a skill I was never taught. So, trial and error! I never got used to a variety of anything growing up. I hope to majorly change that. I just know my body is going to love me now.
@jasmin , Madness, rno, leedsveg~ Thank you so much for the warm welcomes <3

Last night I cooked my first meatless spaghetti, as spaghetti was one of my favorite meals and the only thing I knew how to actually cook. I used eggplant, which I had NEVER used before. (An american eggplant, so it was big) I used the cheapest can of tomatoes in the grocery store because it was the only one that didn't have sugar or HFC in it. (And I heard sugar can be processed with animal parts >_<)
Anyway it turned out... delicious! I'm so happy about this!
I haven't eaten our at a sushi place since I've been vegan again, but they always used to have like, avocado rolls and cucumber rolls. Maybe a tempura roll -- fried veggies.

They use bone chars to filter refined sugar. It's not actually in the sugar, so it's technically vegan. Still not cool though. :^(

Turmeric is usually used in Indian food -- some dishes. It's yellow. You can probably get it in a vegcap or tincture, if you need more help with depression. I haven't needed it lately with all this sun! =^)
#12 Old 06-04-2015, 01:21 PM
Banned

hi luci ''i‘m the acused forum nut case''
#13 Old 06-05-2015, 11:39 AM

Nice to meat you seanE. If you're a nut case, I hope you contain almonds at least <3

@Noah~ Okay well I ate at an Indian restaurant once. This was before I was vegan, or even considering it. But their food was incredibly delicious, I noted, despite having no meat. (A silly thought to have had, considering the reason most meat is even edible is because it is cooked with an array of seasonings and veggies)
I looked more into the sugar thing and it seems that beet sugar is fine, it is the cane sugar that gets refined. And even then, it is not ALWAYS refined with bone char. (But obv I don't want to risk it) I'm gonna try to find out if some of my favorite products that list sugar as an ingredient get it from beet or cane. I've been having coconut sugar with my coffee because it's a more mild sweet. But I might buy some Raw sugar when it runs out, depending on prices.

Anyway I will be going out this weekend with a couple friends. I am hoping that I can suggest an Indian restaurant as our place to eat. They almost always rely on me to pick a place to eat because they never can make up their minds. So that's lucky for me I guess. We are also going to see a movie. (Mad Max) I don't normally get popcorn (I like QUIET movies) but they do. No doubt it will be covered in disgusting butter... so no sharing for me.

So I should probably start posting all this kinda stuff in other threads :P I'm just so prone to tangents.
veggie man likes this.
#14 Old 06-05-2015, 07:02 PM
Vegan since 1991

Quote:
I recently found a vegan B12 supplement, it was $22 o__o But I heard I really need it, so, yeah.
I haven't found a vegan D3 yet though, but I haven't gone to a specialty store yet.

HI Lucibow,

You can find B12 much cheaper at your local pharmacy. Almost all B12 supplements are vegan, except for the ones that come in a gelatin capsule (rare), the "gummy-type" tablets, and the tablets that contain lactose (very rare - only sold at Trader Joes).

CVS Pharmacy sells 120-tablet bottles of berry-flavored B12 for $6.99 (less than $2 per month, even if you take it every day): http://www.cvs.com/shop/vitamins/vit...y-skuid-932050 . I take mine daily - tastes good.

If your local health food store doesn't have vegan D3, you can get it through Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/Country-Life-V...8R7C2W102VD9XC
http://www.amazon.com/Doctors-Best-V...8R7C2W102VD9XC

_________

“Under the twinkling trees was a table covered with Guatemalan fabric, roses in juice jars, wax rose candles from Tijuana and plates of food — Weetzie's Vegetable Love-Rice, My Secret Agent Lover Man's guacamole, Dirk's homemade pizza, Duck's fig and berry salad and Surfer Surprise Protein Punch, Brandy-Lynn's pink macaroni, Coyote's cornmeal cakes, Ping's mushu plum crepes and Valentine's Jamaican plantain pie."

from Witch Baby, Francesca Lia Block, 1991

Last edited by David3; 06-05-2015 at 07:11 PM.
#15 Old 06-05-2015, 07:16 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Nice to meat you seanE. If you're a nut case, I hope you contain almonds at least <3

@Noah~ Okay well I ate at an Indian restaurant once. This was before I was vegan, or even considering it. But their food was incredibly delicious, I noted, despite having no meat. (A silly thought to have had, considering the reason most meat is even edible is because it is cooked with an array of seasonings and veggies)
I looked more into the sugar thing and it seems that beet sugar is fine, it is the cane sugar that gets refined. And even then, it is not ALWAYS refined with bone char. (But obv I don't want to risk it) I'm gonna try to find out if some of my favorite products that list sugar as an ingredient get it from beet or cane. I've been having coconut sugar with my coffee because it's a more mild sweet. But I might buy some Raw sugar when it runs out, depending on prices.

Anyway I will be going out this weekend with a couple friends. I am hoping that I can suggest an Indian restaurant as our place to eat. They almost always rely on me to pick a place to eat because they never can make up their minds. So that's lucky for me I guess. We are also going to see a movie. (Mad Max) I don't normally get popcorn (I like QUIET movies) but they do. No doubt it will be covered in disgusting butter... so no sharing for me.

So I should probably start posting all this kinda stuff in other threads :P I'm just so prone to tangents.
Haha, yeah, it's always awkward trying to eat popcorn in QUIET movies.

I heard Mad Max was good. I plan on seeing it soon.

Yeah, Indian food could be a good chance for you to try things like lentils and chickpeas. Might want to lock yourself in your room for a while afterwords, since you don't normally eat beans [>_<] Looks like there's a place in Beaverton called Curry Leaf. It's all vegetarian with vegan options. Looks good. But, if your friends want meat, they usually have vegan stuff at Indian places. You might just have to ask if certain dishes have dairy in them. I hate doing that.

BTW, tangents are good and welcome, but I know what you mean. I often take threads to the point where I forgot what they were about in the first place. :?)

Tags
food , friends , newbie , Vegan

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page