VeggieBoards banner

Vegetarianism

848 views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  @rno 
#1 ·
Hi folks,

You probably get this all the time. I'm considering becoming a vegetarian, mainly for ethical reasons (if we can survive without killing and eating animals then why don't we) and I've cut down my meat intake a lot lately.

I have a few "ethical" questions though. If I eat vegetables which are not organic, am I not also contributing to the death of animals (pesticides are used on these vegetables to kill insects etc.)?

I have read that although vegetables may be labelled "organic" it does not mean pesticides have been completely avoided.

I've read that Vegans choose to avoid milk, cheese etc because this still contributes to animal cruelty but I'm not entirely sure how? (I may eventually become vegan but will try vegeteraniasm to begin with!)

Also I'm confused about protein intake, how much generally is enough to fulfill your needs every day/week? A handful of nuts?

Is a peanut butter sandwhich a "full protein" (containing all the amino acids I need?)

Excuse me if any of me questions appear ignorant, I'm mainly interested in the ethical questions to be honest :)

See less See more
#2 ·
Wow, that's a lot of diverse questions!

I'll start with the easy one. You are very unlikely to become protein-deficient on a varied vegetarian or vegan diet. Look at the nutrition label on any manufactured product (say a tin of beans) and it will tell you how much protein is in a serving. You can also get online nutition trackers that will tell you what you should be aiming for in a day.

There is a system of farming called "veganic" which combines organic farming methods with vegan principles. However, I'm going to come right out and say that it's virtually impossible to live in the modern world without harming something, however unintentionally. Think about the last time you were in a vehicle on a motorway - did bugs get squished on your wind-shield? It's a very unfortunate part of modern life, and even the goal of veganism is to minimise harm as much as is practically possible, it's not to be perfect. "Don't let perfect be the enemy of good" is a pretty good saying :)

Re. vegan versus vegetarian, modern farming methods require young male animals to be killed in order for eggs and milk to be produced and the female animals are also usually killed once their productive days are over. You might have the odd backyard farmer who keeps hens until they die of old age, but in general once they're beyond laying age they're petfood. Once again, this isn't to say that being vegetarian isn't a step in the right direction! If you can make a difference to even one animal, that's one less animal suffering in the world!

#3 ·

Is a peanut butter sandwhich a "full protein" (containing all the amino acids I need?)
You don't need to worry about food combining to get all the amino acids in one meal. It's a misconception based on a book from the 1970s which has unfortunately stuck around in popular consciousness. As long as you eat a variety of foods throughout the day you will likely be fine.

#4 · (Edited)
Hi and welcome to VB!

To answer your Qs:

If I eat vegetables which are not organic, am I not also contributing to the death of animals (pesticides are used on these vegetables to kill insects etc.)?

-It is regrettable that if fruits/ vegetables are not organic, chances are that some pesticide will have been used...Also the actual harvesting may have accidentally killed some field mice (this would be the case for organic crops too)...BUT by being vegan you are minimising the harm done towards animals as far as is possible!...IOW the harm linked to you and your lifestyle will be as low as it could be...

I have read that although vegetables may be labelled "organic" it does not mean pesticides have been completely avoided.

-"Contrary to what most people believe, "organic" does not automatically mean "pesticide-free" or "chemical-free". In fact, under the laws of most states, organic farmers are allowed to use a wide variety of chemical sprays and powders on their crops.
So what does organic mean? It means that these pesticides, if used, must be derived from natural sources, not synthetically manufactured. Also, these pesticides must be applied using equipment that has not been used to apply any synthetic materials for the past three years, and the land being planted cannot have been treated with synthetic materials for that period either.

Most organic farmers (and even some conventional farmers, too) employ mechanical and cultural tools to help control pests. These include insect traps, careful crop selection (there are a growing number of disease-resistant varieties), and biological controls (such as predator insects and beneficial microorganisms)."

https://www.ocf.berkeley.edu/~lhom/organictext.html

*I do not approve of the word "pests"!!!

I've read that Vegans choose to avoid milk, cheese etc because this still contributes to animal cruelty but I'm not entirely sure how? (I may eventually become vegan but will try vegeteraniasm to begin with!)

-Milk/ cheese = dairy: Dairy cows are killed if they get sick/ old...The mothers are permanently producing babies - so artificial insemination occurs...The babies are separated from their mothers at birth...Male calves are either killed at birth or used for veal...Female calves are forced into the same cycle as their mothers...They are basically enslaved...

Eggs: Hens that get sick or old are killed...At best they are enslaved...They have their beaks cut short...They are born in hatcheries and male chicks are killed at birth via gas or maceration...

Also I'm confused about protein intake, how much generally is enough to fulfill your needs every day/week? A handful of nuts?

-A handful of nuts is not enough no...The DRI (Dietary Reference Intake) is 0.8 grams of protein per kilogram of body weight, or 0.36 grams per pound...This amounts to: 56 grams per day for the average sedentary man.

-No...Get protein from soya/ tofu/ lentils/ nuts/ protein shake/ veggies...And if you are vegan drink fortified soya/ rice/ almond milk and take a vitamin pill to ensure your vitamins and minerals are all good (esp B12)

#5 ·
Hello there :

I am vegetarian for 15+ years now. I used to meat. I dont think anything has changed in my body or I am deficient in anything. Vitamin D is something I am aggressively working on in my vegetarian diets as it is hard to find in Vegetarian side of things. Other than that so far so good.

You have nothing to worry about being vegetarian. Also I am a vegetarian for ethical reasons too. Why kill someone for my breakfast, Lunch and Dinner ???

Hope this helps.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.