VeggieBoards banner

Long time vegetarian, looking into going "more" vegan

985 views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Kiwibird08 
#1 ·
Hey all. I am a long time ovo-lacto vegetarian (over 15 years!), but over the past summer, suddenly seem to have developed an intolerance or allergy to dairy. I cut out dairy 2 weeks ago and have never felt better! I've been blindly following the advice of a rural-area doctor who frowned upon not eating meat by continuing eggs and dairy all these years "for my health" but I think it's time to revisit that subject (which I will in the appropriate category, if anyone cares to direct me)

I am also honored to be the caregiver to 3 beautiful creatures- my now aging "childhood pet", a leopard gecko (Leo) who celebrated his 18th birthday last month, a fire belly newt (Mr. Newt) who was doomed to be flushed I rescued 7 years ago and my constant companion, a previously severely misunderstood amazon parrot (Kiwi) rescued out of a neglect situation almost 6 years ago. They are my babies, and I take pride in providing them the best care possible and making a direct positive impact in their lives.

I was veg. long before we met, but my hubby has always been supportive of my dietary choices. He still eats meat, but over the years has become more informed, has drastically cut back his consumption of animal products and now chooses locally raised meats from small scale farms. I am very proud he's made those positive steps forward. Something is always better than nothing IMO (and I will never convince him to go to ally vegetarian or vegan)! He's also respectful enough not to make me prep or cook it, so I am ever so grateful for that to! Anyways, hoping this will be a helpful forum to start shifting towards a more vegan diet and more raw foods!

See less See more
#3 ·
Welcome! We vegetarians and vegans are mostly pretty healthy diet-wise, but make sure you get vitamin B-12; that's one thing you'll need to get from supplements since you're dropping all foods of animal origin. (It was thought that some sea vegetables had B-12, but this was incorrect- the "B-12" in sea vegetables turned out to be something which gave a false positive test in chemical assays, but cannot function as the real thing in our bodies. Even today, I sometimes see certain vegetables listed as being a source of B-12.)

I'm glad your husband is being supportive.

Reactions: Kiwibird08
#4 ·
Thanks Tom. I do take a daily B-Complex as per my naturopath and have for many years:) But that's the only supplement I take (the only one I actually need! Yay for healthy eating!). Why my body decided to begin rejecting dairy is beyond me, but I'm having good luck making my own oat "dairy" products.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.