Taking on vegetarianism - VeggieBoards

Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 08-08-2014, 04:06 PM

Lightbulb Taking on vegetarianism

So, hi, I've decided to try spending one month as a vegetarian, as more of health purposes and weight loss, I want to know if it is normal/possible to lose weight by eating a vegetarian diet, I would like to know any good tips and recipes for the next month. I know that soy products, soy meat, etcetera are commonly advised but I have seen research that eating lots of soy is unhealthy and I would like to know other replacements.

After this month I would like to try a macrobiotic diet, if anyone has a 101 to tell me I would apreciate it.

Thanks!
misso
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-08-2014, 05:22 PM
Veggie Regular

There are lots and lots of good reasons (including weight loss) to go vegetarian and macrobiotic, also vegan and raw if you can! If you are in the "trying" stage then you must work on reason, inspiration and purpose etc.
Doing it involves breaking away from habits and that is hard work.
I wish to encourage you because of all of the many good implications involved, from your health to the planets health and then all of the people you can help with it also!

Caring about our health is caring about our very state of being and future which is a very good thing to be seriously concerned about making the most of.

http://TRUEHEALTHHAPPENS.COM

#3 Old 08-08-2014, 11:19 PM
Veggie Regular

I recommend Alicia Silverstone's book 'The Kind Diet'. Maybe not for the recipes (she has some weird ones and I know better veg*n cookbooks) but she is inspired by macrobiotic eating ang gives great tips about that. It's well worth a read.

If you'd like to eat veggie meats there are gluten-based kinds (seitan). I wish you luck!

#4 Old 08-10-2014, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enthios View Post
There are lots and lots of good reasons (including weight loss) to go vegetarian and macrobiotic, also vegan and raw if you can! If you are in the "trying" stage then you must work on reason, inspiration and purpose etc.
Doing it involves breaking away from habits and that is hard work.
I wish to encourage you because of all of the many good implications involved, from your health to the planets health and then all of the people you can help with it also!

Yesterday some of my vegetarian friends told me about how they struggle with weight, they ended up gaining a lot of weight , do you know what I can do to keep myself form consuming too many carbohydrates and sugary stuff?
#5 Old 08-10-2014, 03:54 PM
Veggie Regular

Losing too much weight when becoming vegetarian is also a problem for some people.
But it is easy to not be healthy as a vegetarian because there is plenty of vegetarian junk food.
Basically low energy foods that don't get burned off cause weight gain... This is basically referring to processed foods and overtly cooked as being low energy, (Example, dairy is low energy fat and white flour product are very low in energy) and raw foods (and lightly cooked if necessary)as being good energy that the body thrives on.
(Exercise is important also)
Once you get that natural whole foods (closer to raw the better) is the best thing to be eating, then learning to obtain and prepare them in ways that make it enjoyable is the thing to be working on.
We all struggle with eating well and we (as individuals) are the main thing that determines what we are going to make out of ourselves and our future. And we should care to a very high degree, despite all of the horrible influence from others, what we (literally) make of ourselves with consumption.
If you don't care about yourself and your future then you may have to work on understanding that you should.
And learn to defend yourself from the unhealthy influences of people and things around you. Or maybe work on trying to get to better influences. We often need helpful support to not fall back to bad habits.
A reason many of us are here on this forum is to get encouragement and inspiration and I hope you can.
I'm not sure if that answers your question, there's so much to be worked on to be able to eat well. ?

Caring about our health is caring about our very state of being and future which is a very good thing to be seriously concerned about making the most of.

http://TRUEHEALTHHAPPENS.COM

#6 Old 08-10-2014, 04:56 PM
Super Moderator

A vegetarian diet is extremely diverse. It can be nothing but whole plant foods, no processed oils or sugars, no dairy or cheese.
It can also be full of processed meat substitutes, cheeses, fried foods, eggs and few vegetables.
Or any where in between

Say you know vegetarians that struggle with weight? How many omnivores do you know that struggle with weight?

Personally I make my soy milk and often have tofu or tempeh. I have things like vegan soy chorizo, Gardein or Boca chik'n patties and will make seitan once in a while. The whole soy scare is really from the meat and dairy industry. I always ask those that bring it up for a link because I've yet to hear anything bad that wasn't somehow related to Weston Price, Mercola, or other agencies that promote animal products in foods. So very much misinformation.

I will say that discovering good veg'n eats requires more than 30 days. The standard diet is so meat centric until you get over that mind set it's hard to really appreciate all it can mean.

Check out these sites:
http://www.theveganmenu.com/
http://www.veganhealth.org/articles/meals
http://wellvegan.com/resources/sampl...-and-meal-plan
http://pcrm.org/kickstartHome/mealplan/
#7 Old 08-10-2014, 05:16 PM
Banned

Yes,you should lose weight. I did not but i was a kid still when i became vegetarian.

Tags
diet , macrobiotic , soy , vegetarian , weight loss

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page