Bonjour! - VeggieBoards - A Vegetarian Community
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 05-03-2012, 03:35 AM
Beginner

Hi all!

I am British but currently based in France. I've been vegetarian for 17 years and vegan for 11.
I discovered this site whilst researching for a website I am developing for vegans who find themselves in France - www.vegan-france.com - believe it or not France isn't as bad for veggies as people make out!

www.vegan-france.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-03-2012, 05:27 AM
Beginner

Hi and welcome!

Just to correct the useful phrases in French section of your website:

Does it contain cheese? - > Est-ce que cela contient du fromage ? or Est-ce qu'il y a du fromage dedans ?

I would like that, without cheese please. -> Je voudrais ça, sans fromage s'il vous plaît.

I do not eat animal products. -> Je ne mange pas de produits d'origine animale

Whereabout are you in France?

不死鳥
#3 Old 05-03-2012, 05:51 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fushichô View Post

Hi and welcome!

Just to correct the useful phrases in French section of your website:

Does it contain cheese? - > Est-ce que cela contient du fromage ? or Est-ce qu'il y a du fromage dedans ?

I would like that, without cheese please. -> Je voudrais ça, sans fromage s'il vous plaît.

I do not eat animal products. -> Je ne mange pas de produits d'origine animale

Whereabout are you in France?

Haha! Merci Beaucoup! Je parle français terribles!
I'm living in Lille, so learning French along side the strong Ch'ti accent is not easy!

www.vegan-france.com
#4 Old 05-03-2012, 05:54 AM
Beginner

Bonjour!

I'm more than ready to believe you but the burden of proof lies with you, indeed! Last time I checked, being vegan in France was just a pain in the *** ^^ (I'm French, btw).

Really like the idea behind your blog, though
#5 Old 05-03-2012, 05:55 AM
Beginner

Yes, learning French with the Ch'ti accent must not be easy ! But it would also have been difficult if you had been in the South of France! But maybe not as much

But Lille is a great place, especially since it's not far from Belgium, which is a lovely country with the best beers in the world!

不死鳥
#6 Old 05-03-2012, 06:18 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezebel View Post

Bonjour!

I'm more than ready to believe you but the burden of proof lies with you, indeed! Last time I checked, being vegan in France was just a pain in the *** ^^ (I'm French, btw).

Really like the idea behind your blog, though

I imagine in rural France it is a pain in the unmentionables but that's true of rural anywhere.
In cities and large towns its easy to get soya milk, tofu etc, veg is good quality and affordable and people are increasingly tolerant to the idea (most common reaction is amused curiosity). Brands like Sojasun and Bjorg seem to be available in almost all big hypermarches. Eating out can be difficult if you don't like Italian or Pizza sans fromage - but Paris has some of the best vegetarian/vegan restaurants in the world and some excellent Korean restaurants which are veg friendly.

www.vegan-france.com
#7 Old 05-03-2012, 06:20 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fushichô View Post

Yes, learning French with the Ch'ti accent must not be easy ! But it would also have been difficult if you had been in the South of France! But maybe not as much

But Lille is a great place, especially since it's not far from Belgium, which is a lovely country with the best beers in the world!

I LOVE Belgium! Flanders is especially good for veggies and the beer is awesome (although I miss good ole British ale which can be as good imo).

www.vegan-france.com
#8 Old 05-03-2012, 06:31 AM
Beginner

You are lucky to have mainly "amused curiosity" as a reaction!
Just read the comments whenever there is an article on Le Monde website about meat consumption that should be reduced for environmental reason (ie not even mentioning animals), or about animal welfare, hunting, corrida, battery hens, etc., you'll see it's far from an amused curiosity.
One positive thing though, it is indeed getting better, or less and less worse ^^

不死鳥
#9 Old 05-03-2012, 07:10 AM
Beginner

Well, no I wasn't in a rural area, just your average size French city. Feeding myself at home was of course ok (it almost always is when one's cook) however, going out was almost out of the question, either because people wouldn't care or because finding a restaurant was next to impossible (and let's not talk about finding vegan cosmetics... :s ).

All in all, I'm fairly convinced that France is vegans' hell but I'm glad to read that your experience differs from mine (especially regarding amused curiosity, consider yourself lucky!)
#10 Old 05-03-2012, 09:12 AM
Vegan Very Metal

Hello and welcome to Veggieboards, fellow vegan.
#11 Old 05-05-2012, 05:33 PM
Beginner

Merci beaucoup, monsieur! Mais je suis tres jalouse. Vous habite en France, et j'habite en les E-U. Okay, okay, I know my French is rusty (and I wasn't able to put the correct accents on certain letters), but thank you for saying that France isn't (quite) as inhospitable for vegans as outsiders might think. I have fantasies about French open-air markets with fresh produce and herbs, and whiling away afternoons drinking wine and making delicious ratatouille-esque creations. I know that's Provence, not Lille, but like I said, fantasies...

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page