Newbie! - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 04-30-2012, 02:19 PM
Beginner

Hello, everyone!

My name is Rachel or "AK Rachel". It's a pleasure to be here!

Although I have been an animal lover my whole life I honestly never really considered a vegetarian lifestyle up until recently. About three months ago I got interested in nutrition (I am getting married in November and want to be healthier) and started my journey by eliminating red meat from my diet. That wasn't hard since I have never really fancied meat anyway. Red or otherwise.

As I did more research about nutrition I heard great things about the book Skinny Bitch. The chapter about slaughter houses is what did it for me. Previously I did know that slaughter houses existed, but honestly... I never thought about it or looked into it. I hate to be apart of animal suffering (I have been filtering out animal tested cosmetics and hair products from my collection for about six months now and am pleased with how it's going so far!) but I am also doing it for nutritional value as well as for the animals. Although my food intake has mainly been vegetarian since I changed my diet the last time, I am technically considered a "pescetarian". I may or may not go full vegetarian in the future... we'll see. (Trying to take things slow)

I have been reading books, articles, watching YouTube videos and lectures, but I still feel totally unprepared, overwhelmed, and a little discouraged. Hoping things will ease up soon.

I look forward to communicating with you all and I hope you have a lovely day! Thank you to anyone who's willing to give some advice. I am off to browse the other threads now! :-) See ya!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-30-2012, 07:19 PM
Beginner

Hi Rachel, and welcome! Your story sounds somewhat like mine. My dad was a retired butcher ,so meat was always an important part of mealtimes at our house. I tried to put the thought of just how the meat made its way to my plate out of my mind, even though I loved animals. Six years ago, at the age of 50, I happened upon "Meet Your Meat", and that was it. Left the animal products behind and have never looked back. It can be a bit overwhelming at first, but the more you discover how good the food is, you'll wonder why it took you so long to make the switch! Veggieboards is an excellent information source, and I can tell you, when I first came I had so many questions , (some of them actually pretty dumb)-but everyone was very kind and supportive. There are a lot of folks here who really know their stuff and will be happy to help. Good luck on your journey.Hope to see more of you here on the boards.
#3 Old 05-06-2012, 04:20 AM
Beginner

and welcome!

Everybody is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing that it is stupid...~Albert Einstein~
"Nothing tastes as good as kindness feels" - ~ElaineV~

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page