Good morning everyone! - VeggieBoards - A Vegetarian Community
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 04-22-2012, 07:51 AM
Beginner

I woke up this morning at 4 and decided to clean out my kitchen because I'm sick of eating foods that make me feel awful. I got 2 meat lovers to feed and I think making the switch this time will be a bit challenging... I hope a few people here might be in the same situation and have a few tips on how they make it work.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-22-2012, 08:45 AM
Where's my camera?

Welcome!

Vegan Cookbooks Illustrated

http://vegan-cookbooks-illustrated.blogspot.com/

http://pinterest.com/VeganCookbooks/

#3 Old 04-22-2012, 11:49 AM
Beginner

Welcome! I've found that ethnic foods make some of the easiest transition foods because so many are meatless to begin with and they aren't usually "foreign" to most people. For instance:

Italian
Vegetarian lasagna
Grilled eggplant and squash
Grilled or stuffed mushrooms (I especially love portobello mushroom pizzas -- grilling large portobello mushroom caps and filling them sauce, spinach, peppers, tomatoes, and cheese)
Pastas with tomato or pesto sauces (or even just some olive oil) and veggies
Baked pastas with tomato or pesto sauces and veggies
Flatbreads loaded with veggies and sauce
etc. (Greek/Mediterranean cuisine also has many vegetarian options, such as hummus and grilled veggie wraps, garbanzo bean salad, etc.)

Mexican/Southwestern
Black bean and corn enchiladas
Black beans and rice with grilled peppers and onions
Veggie fajitas
Bean and veggie burritos
Grated, sauteed tempeh (seasoned with Mexican seasonings) tacos with all the fixings (shredded lettuce, salsa, guac, etc.)
Refried black bean quesadillas
etc.

Asian
Veggie stir fry (which can change every time depending on what veggies you use)
Noodle bowls with steamed veggies
Veggie pad thai
Veggie potstickers
Veggie springrolls or eggrolls
Vegetable sushi
etc.

Indian
(Just about all Indian dishes are vegetarian or can be made vegetarian)
Various vegetable curries
Vegetable Tikka Masala
Vegetable samosas
etc.

Another thing you can do is get your whole family involved! If they are old enough, have them look at recipes in cookbooks/magazines/online (preferably with pictures, since we eat with our eyes first) and pick out things that look good to them. Also, take them shopping to the grocery stores and/or farmer's markets with you and have them pick out things that look yummy. Many grocery stores and farmer's markets have items for sampling, so you can try before you buy. (Often, people don't know what they like because they haven't tried it...they just assume they don't.) I personally recommend including your family as much as possible, as it tends to make for easier transitions. If they are selecting the items (and even helping prepare the meals), they feel they have some control. The more educated and involved everyone gets, the greater likelihood of having everyone on the same page (or pretty darn close). Keep us posted!

"Is a vegetarian permitted to eat animal crackers?" - George Carlin
#4 Old 04-23-2012, 11:17 AM
Beginner

Hi! Welcome here.... in regards with your situation I suggest that you take it easy for them... you can't force them. But in favor to make them vegan cook veggie food that they will and they will gonna like.. If you already done that.. Add new veggie recipe... and be sure that they will gonna like it too... then so on.. until they decide for them self to become vegan...

http://allstopsnoringaids.com

#5 Old 04-23-2012, 03:26 PM
Beginner

Thank you all for the warm welcomes

You know you are right Charity, I should try and get them involved a bit more. I always feel that I have to do it all for them. My son is 4 and likes watering plants a lot, so today I got myself thinking about growing some vegetables in our backyard. Thank you for listing those meal tips, I LOVE mushrooms too!
#6 Old 04-23-2012, 10:23 PM
Beginner

Welcome! My name is Madison. I hope to see you around

♥ ♥ My vegan recipe blog: http://veggieful.com ♥ 

#7 Old 04-24-2012, 01:21 AM
Beginner

Hello and welcome.
#8 Old 04-24-2012, 04:55 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charity View Post

I've found that ethnic foods make some of the easiest transition foods because so many are meatless to begin with and they aren't usually "foreign" to most people.

That is excellent advice!

I also recommend trying out a raw vegan cuisine. You can find lots of creative recipes -- noodles made from zucchini, cheesecake made from a date and cashew base, apple pie made with an almond-fig crust, carrot muffins made in the fridge instead of the oven, pizza made in the dehydrator with a gluten-free chia-seed crust and so forth. These are all things I've adored since the first time I tried them, and I grew up a VERY picky eater.

~ Raederle Phoenix
(Feel free to look me up on facebook and friend me there!)
#9 Old 04-25-2012, 08:56 AM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charity View Post

Welcome! I've found that ethnic foods make some of the easiest transition foods because so many are meatless to begin with and they aren't usually "foreign" to most people. For instance:

Italian
Vegetarian lasagna
Grilled eggplant and squash
Grilled or stuffed mushrooms (I especially love portobello mushroom pizzas -- grilling large portobello mushroom caps and filling them sauce, spinach, peppers, tomatoes, and cheese)
Pastas with tomato or pesto sauces (or even just some olive oil) and veggies
Baked pastas with tomato or pesto sauces and veggies
Flatbreads loaded with veggies and sauce
etc. (Greek/Mediterranean cuisine also has many vegetarian options, such as hummus and grilled veggie wraps, garbanzo bean salad, etc.)

Mexican/Southwestern
Black bean and corn enchiladas
Black beans and rice with grilled peppers and onions
Veggie fajitas
Bean and veggie burritos
Grated, sauteed tempeh (seasoned with Mexican seasonings) tacos with all the fixings (shredded lettuce, salsa, guac, etc.)
Refried black bean quesadillas
etc.

Asian
Veggie stir fry (which can change every time depending on what veggies you use)
Noodle bowls with steamed veggies
Veggie pad thai
Veggie potstickers
Veggie springrolls or eggrolls
Vegetable sushi
etc.

Indian
(Just about all Indian dishes are vegetarian or can be made vegetarian)
Various vegetable curries
Vegetable Tikka Masala
Vegetable samosas
etc.

Another thing you can do is get your whole family involved! If they are old enough, have them look at recipes in cookbooks/magazines/online (preferably with pictures, since we eat with our eyes first) and pick out things that look good to them. Also, take them shopping to the grocery stores and/or farmer's markets with you and have them pick out things that look yummy. Many grocery stores and farmer's markets have items for sampling, so you can try before you buy. (Often, people don't know what they like because they haven't tried it...they just assume they don't.) I personally recommend including your family as much as possible, as it tends to make for easier transitions. If they are selecting the items (and even helping prepare the meals), they feel they have some control. The more educated and involved everyone gets, the greater likelihood of having everyone on the same page (or pretty darn close). Keep us posted!

Fantastic post, Charity!
#10 Old 04-25-2012, 09:22 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by luciette View Post

Thank you all for the warm welcomes

You know you are right Charity, I should try and get them involved a bit more. I always feel that I have to do it all for them. My son is 4 and likes watering plants a lot, so today I got myself thinking about growing some vegetables in our backyard. Thank you for listing those meal tips, I LOVE mushrooms too!

First welcome.

Is your significant other on board or at least supportive (assuming husband)? It would make the switch significantly easier if he was.

Becoming a vegetarian never even remotely crossed my mind until I heard about forks over knives and at that point my youngest was 2 weeks away from going to college so dealing with a major dietary change with him wasn't an issue, Mrs. was 100% on board, we disposed of all animal products from our house and went cold turkey and haven't looked back... nor will we.

I truly wish I had been aware of both the significance of the health consequences of eating a high fat animal based diet and also of the horrors of factory meat processing, dairy, eggs etc. much earlier in my life so I could have raised and sent my kids down that path. All is not lost with them however as my enthusiasm is rubbing off (at least with the older two who cook, youngest is still stuck with dorm food, which he hates) they are much more conscious of what they eat and are completely open to vegetarian meals.
#11 Old 04-25-2012, 11:20 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forster View Post

I truly wish I had been aware of both the significance of the health consequences of eating a high fat animal based diet and also of the horrors of factory meat processing, dairy, eggs etc. much earlier in my life so I could have raised and sent my kids down that path. All is not lost with them however as my enthusiasm is rubbing off (at least with the older two who cook, youngest is still stuck with dorm food, which he hates) they are much more conscious of what they eat and are completely open to vegetarian meals.

Congrats!

If you want to get ahead of the curve (and you already may know about this) but the scientific evidence behind some poisons people are consuming today are... overwhelming.

The connection between autism, adhd, cancer, ulcers, nerve disorders, etc and food is just astronomical. And yet doctors are still saying, "oh... genetics..." When will that excuse stop working with the public?

Anyway, I was going to suggest reading Sugar Blues, and if you like that, move on to Empty Harvest and The Hippocrates Diet.

~ Raederle Phoenix
#12 Old 04-25-2012, 06:31 PM
Beginner

My husband is fine with it as long as I don't force the same thing on him and I wouldn't. I wish he would but if he doesn't want to then there is no point to it.

Thank you for recommending those books, I looked them up on amazon and liked them so much that I added them to my wishlist!
#13 Old 04-28-2012, 06:55 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by luciette View Post

Thank you for recommending those books, I looked them up on amazon and liked them so much that I added them to my wishlist!

You're very welcome. Another couple books I recommend often are Mastery of Love and The Art of Happiness. Those five books together are something you can read every year and continue to gain from.

~ Raederle Phoenix

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page